Guy wants guitar back, how to say no, or not?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by etype, Nov 12, 2019.

1. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

That's it in a nutshell.

Two weeks ago I bought a partscaster- the seller used all kinds of weasel words to describe it- "I think the pickups are Duncan antiquities, I'm pretty sure the neck is a Warmoth," etc. It played nice though, so I made him an offer based on it being a well done partscaster made of imported parts. He hemmed and hawed, but took the money.

30 minutes later I had it on the bench, and whaddaya know- he was telling the truth. Not only that, but it had a $100 Staytrem bridge he hadn't even mentioned. I almost felt bad for lowballing him, but it'd only taken me a couple of minutes to disassemble the guitar to check what was under the hood- if he'd done the same, he could have included pictures in his ad and I wouldn't have lowballed in the first place.

A week later I get a text that his buddy that built the guitar for him wanted to buy it back for more than I'd paid. I wasn't interested in selling, so I never responded.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I had a similar experience, when I was living in a small town.

I traded guitars locally, the same make and model, only the color was different, mine was red and his was blue, with an individual. I was collecting all of the different colors of this particular model of Pro Tone Strat.

The next day, he contacted me and said that he wanted his guitar back. He was extremely irate because his tech advised that the pickup wiring was not soldered but held together with electrical tape. If this was the case, I had never checked, the tech could have soldered them when the guitar was apart.

I gave him back his guitar because I was living in a small community and I didn't want my reputation tarnished for future trades.

I also experienced problems with the local mom & pop music store, when they turned my young son, 9 yrs old, away from his guitar lessons for non payment. I had to go to the bank to obtain a copy of the cashed check, for proof of payment.

YMMV

etype and GGardner like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Yeah sorry, no do-overs on a sale, especially when selling to a stranger.
    I mean, I'd be polite about it and all, but he'd still be outta luck.

etype likes this.
  4. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

The instrument title has passed, its yours and you shouldn’t feel guilty about not selling it back. But that says a lot about your character. Your a good person just for thinking about it. Keep it. There are others out there for him to purchase.

etype and MilwMark like this.
  5. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic

I would have said $1600+100 shipping and it's yours...if it was me.

etype likes this.
  6. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

No big deal asking to buy back... I've done it a couple times and been pleasantly surprised the buyer was willing to sell back for what he bought it for!

All part of the grand game of gear and money and fun!

etype, BluesGuitarMart and GGardner like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

In the course of my guitar-life I’ve given guitars to friends and deserving people.
    I’ve given guitars I liked, and valuable guitars away.
    Stuff is stuff, it’s everywhere.
    I like guitars, but they don’t (totally) rule me.
    OK, enough of my dime-store Zen wannabe philosophizing.
    I’ve owned a perhaps sinful number of guitars.
    It’s my “bad” habit.
    I only want one back, my 1963 Epi Texan.
    If I found it (highly unlikely), I’d ask the owner for the ability to buy it back IF they ever wanted to sell it.
    I would never whine, needle, or bully said owner.
    If you don’t love/need/want the guitar in question, sell it back to him, perhaps for the same money.
    If you you sell it back, perhaps consider making a “first right of refusal” offer to the guy.
    Or not.

etype likes this.
  8. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I don't think the guy's out of line for asking. For all he knows, you may have buyer's remorse. And a courteous, "No, but you'll be my first call if I ever want to sell it"--as many have suggested--strikes me as a perfect reply.

On the other hand, I'm very pleased to hear that a '80 Firebrand can fetch $1,500. I had never heard of a Firebrand before your post. But it bodes well for my '70s Gibson.

etype and BluesGuitarMart like this.
  9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Good question, lots of good answers. My humble:

Yes, I'd answer the seller's query. It's a reasonable one. Now the ball's in your court.

If it was an online sale, you could just say you've already sold it. You'll never hear from him or her again.

I do that all the time with scammers, but it works just as well with civilians.

If I wanted to sell it back, I'd offer it at something near Reverb's average price. Maybe a little less, if the seller were tugging my heart strings.

Is $1,400 Reverb's average sale price, or are are you looking at asking prices? Reverb's average selling prices are usually less than the posted asking prices.

If I wanted to keep it, I'd say sorry, it's not for sale, but thanks for asking.

-----------

Oh. You already took care of it. Well done!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  10. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'd tell him that if I grow tired of the guitar, I'll sell it back to him for the price I paid. Then I'd play the guitar until I was tired of it, and sell it back to him.

gwjensen, brookdalebill and GGardner like this.
  11. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

It sounds like the previous owner found someone else who will pay him more for the guitar than you paid for it . . .

telemnemonics and MilwMark like this.
  12. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

C’mon, OP!
    My wife told me “it’s me or the guitar”, so I reluctantly put it up for sale.
    Then, she left me for the bass player anyway.

13. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

And I'd add for $1400 bucks ....

Bust a deal, face the wheel..

Toast likes this.
  14. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Don’t be a sap, it’s your guitar, keep it and enjoy it.

tery likes this.
  15. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

This story reminds me of the movie “Father Of The Bride” and the scene where Steve Martin tries to buy back the family home that he sold.

16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Just to chime in with what others have said, you owe the original seller nothing. If you like the guitar, keep it. If you want to sell it, sell it at the price it's worth now. Not what you paid for it a year ago.

beyer160 likes this.
  17. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I've had seller's remorse far too many times. But I've never had the nerve to contact the person I sold a piece of gear to in an attempt to get it back. I dunno..there's something inherently tacky about that to me. Business transactions should be very upfront, professional, and the terms 100% agreed upon. If I sell something I go into it with the understanding that I'll never see the thing or the person I sold it to ever again. If you're not mature enough to deal with the finality of that, then don't sell it. I agree that you should politely decline his offer, but calling someone and asking "Uhhh...can I have my guitar back?" is just lame.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  18. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Tell him you really like it but if you decide to sell it you'll contact him
    That is certainly a reasonable response, and you are under no obligation to do any more than that

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why is this any sort of dilemma?

It’s your guitar.

Sell it at the price you’d want if you are open to selling.

Don’t if you are not. No need for excuses or elaborate stories.

Simple.

Dave W, Dan German and mistermikev like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Even nicer, Dude, I flipped that smoke wagon two days after I bought it, DOUBLED MY MONEY!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.