Guy wants guitar back, how to say no, or not?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by etype, Nov 12, 2019.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I bought a guitar a little over a year ago on Reverb. It took me months of searching, but it was exactly what I was looking for (lightweight 7lbs5oz 1980 Les Paul Firebrand, pickup swap I would have made, great case, etc.). Even though the seller did not inspire confidence, I went ahead. Turns out, I love it. Recorded my first song two weeks ago and used this guitar.

I just got a message that he misses it and wants it back (he had only had it couple of years, not the original owner), and he's willing to pay me $775 ($50 over what I paid him). So I spent two days searching Reverb for a replacement that would make me feel equally happy. Looks like I am going to have to get to the $1,400 range or spend another couple of months looking for its twin.

I'd feel like a jerk to ignore him, but I'd feel like a jerk telling him it is going to take $1,400-$1,500 to get it back (and I'm not looking forward to the hassle of finding a shipping box and shipping it anyway).

What would you do? Ignore the message, politely decline, or make the $1,500 offer?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. stevekolt

stevekolt TDPRI Member

IF you have bonded with that particular guitar, politely declining would be an appropriate response...

3. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Sorry, but I will keep you in mind in case I want to sell it.

DuckDodgers, Matt G, bo and 60 others like this.
  4. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

that's a tough one. if you're happy with the guitar, i think you should hang on to it. those firebrands have really caught on lately and i don't see the prices coming down anytime soon. on the other hand, if you ever decide to sell it... i think you should contact him first and give him some time to save up for it.

tell him you don't want to sell it. tell him it's in a great home and you're really cherishing it... and if that ever changes, you'll get ahold of him first.

5. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

/\ This. Sounds like he realized it too little, too late.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

He realizes that he sold the guitar too cheap. He's hoping to con you into selling it back, he'll put it back on ebay for $1400, then you'll be the one wishing you had it back. A sale is final once the conditions have been met, you don't actually even owe him an answer. It's your guitar.

f69tele, Rob77, kuvash and 46 others like this.
  7. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

"It's been gifted." You don't have to tell him it was a gift for yourself. I'd take it apart to see if something valuable is inside.....just a thought.

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Tell him it was destroyed in a freak accident in some downtown strip club.
    Not the one everyone knows about, the one down the block and around the corner from that one.

9. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tell the truth. I love the guitar but if I ever decide to sell it, I'll let you know.

10. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

I'd politely decline tho tell him, should you ever decide to sell it in the future, you will let him know and have first go.

11. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

One time I bought a Godin from the classifieds here- it seemed like an
    ok deal but not earth shattering.

I kept it about a year, played it about twice in that time, and decided to
    sell it on ebay using the auction format.

To my surprise, the guitar I paid $150 for ended up bringing over $450
    from an overseas buyer.

About another year later, the original seller contacted me out of the blue
    and wanted to know if they could buy it back for $150,

I didnt feel like going into all the details, nor was it their business, so I
    just said "sorry I am not interested" and left it at that.

LunarSlingShot, Fiesta Red and etype like this.
  12. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Thanks all! I think suggesting I'll contact him first if I ever decide to sell is not only the right thing to say, but the right thing to do.

FLHT, scelestus, dunehunter and 17 others like this.
  13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

there is no problem here. well, unless you want it to be. "No." you aren't under obligation to him whatsoever. Enjoy your guitar.

14. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

First, you are the owner of the guitar. You owe nothing to the previous seller.

Second, you are under no obligation to reply to him.

Third, is this a violation of a buyer/seller relationship?

If I were to respond it would be to inform the previous owner that it was not sale, to not contact me again and inform him of a violation of policy, if that is indeed the case.

The previous seller is in the wrong in my opinion - even if not a violation of policy. This was a unsolicited offer.

Georox and etype like this.
  15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

The above. I actually just sold a Martin 000-28EC. The buyer really likes it giving me some sellers remorse. I sold it so now it’s his. I think he will love it.

Straydogger and etype like this.
  16. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I just sent a message telling him how much I love it and that if I ever decide to sell, I'll reach out to him first. Thanks for the advice!!!

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Seller's remorse. It's common.

I bought a Les Paul R8 (pic below) from an out-of-state seller. The price was a lot lower than equivalent guitars in the market at the time; there were certain things that applied to this Gibson (VOS parts, Murphy aging, etc.), that should've made the guitar cost another $1K+. I rolled the dice, took delivery of it, and it was in line-new condition. All it needed was new strings and a setup.

A few months later I received an email from the seller, wanting it back. I replied that this guitar was the Les Paul I'd spent the last 10 years searching for, and I was keeping it--but if I ever decided to let it go, he'd be the first person I contact.

[​IMG]

etype, hollowman, Fiesta Red and 5 others like this.
  18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I love the Firebird neck position the most. The BFG LP goes for around 1400 and has 2 P90's in it that could be converted to real Firebird pickups, or you could get a Epiphone 55' Lp with dual P90's and switch them out for a total cost of 1000 for guitar and pickups. You could sell him his guitar back for the 1500 and go shopping or tell him he can go buy one.
    Your not obligated and it's strictly up to you to keep it or "go out of your way to make him happy".

19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Just because he was a previous owner of the guitar you have no obligation to sell it back to him simply because he has sellers remorse...

etype, Straydogger and rolandson like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

IF I knew where my D-18 that I owned for 44 years was at, I would not contact the seller and even try to buy the guitar, I would be laying something unnecessary on him, and only open myself up to well deserved rejection. It's nice you let him know something, but you weren't under any obligation to. A deals a deal, period.

etype likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.