1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guy Hacks Back of 335 clone to get at the wires

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by driver8, Feb 24, 2021.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Dentists do something like that called an apicoectomy, I had it done on one of my front lower teeth, it's as bad as it sounds but saved the tooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

LOL

I have a router, I can fix it!!

driver8 likes this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe the owner is a spinal surgeon. I was reading about Tiger Woods' multiple back surgeries and apparently sometimes they have to go at the spine from the front of the body. They open you up in your chest or belly and push everything over to the side so they can do gnarly stuff to your spine from the front side. Yikes! Same approach on this guitar, basically.

Seriously, though, if 335s came from the factory with a back plate I think it would have zero effect on the tone and would make our lives easier. I've done the dental floss fishing job and it definitely adds a good hour or two to what normally would take a few minutes. I suppose if you did this a lot you would get quicker at it, but it's a pain!

driver8 likes this.
  4. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

5. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I've watched videos on replacing parts/wires on semi/hollow bodies....am glad I know a guy who repairs guitars as a side-job in retirement, and he definitely knows his stuff, was highly recommended by a few musician friends of mine. Looking at the work it entails, nope, not for me - Donnie J gets the job....hope he outlives me. I can do simple stuff granted easy access to what's wrong......why couldn't they just have installed access covers and been done? People trust him with rebuilding old ('40's) acoustic guitars, he does amazing work (have visited him at his home shop a couple times...not only is he a very knowledgeable guy about all (most?) things guitar, but he and I are on the same wavelength as far as how the world's going, which is much as I'll say as to not ruffle feathers....but it's comforting. Gonna sit and have a cigar and play with him someday, when things improve

6. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

As horrible as that is, I understand the frustration. Working on the electronics on a 335-style is a nightmare. On the glass-is-half-full front, nice clean cuts for those holes!

driver8 likes this.
  7. chris m.

Why square, though? I guess it was easiest. But just like manhole covers, normally round is the way to go. That way the cover can't fall in.

8. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Oh man, you said it. Semi-hollows are my favorite guitars, and I love trying different pickups. The combination of the two is like a curse, lol

9. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

That's actually a good idea. Done right, that is. If I were building one, I would engineer back covers. Why not?

driver8 likes this.
  10. chris m.

If you just want to change pickups and don't want to mess with pots or caps, there is an alternative....you just cut the pickup wires on the old pickups fairly close to the pickups, and splice the new pickup wires to the old ones. Use a little shrink wrap wire insulation and the splice looks and functions just fine. Splice some wire onto the old pickups and keep them in a drawer as spares, or maybe sell them....at a discount since the leads are short. But you only have to do it one time and after that you have extra wire to work with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.