1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gun Metal Blue Tele Color? How could I do it using wipe-on products?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Farwesterner1, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Farwesterner1

Farwesterner1 TDPRI Member

I'm about to start a Telecaster build out of basswood. I'd like to replicate this uncommon Fender color from the late 1980s, Gun Metal Blue.

I was considering painting the basswood with a dark blue-grey milk paint (3-4 coats), then finishing with Minwax Wipe-On poly (very fine sand in between coats, 800 grit or higher). Would that work?

I don't have access to a spray setup. In general, I like the idea of doing everything by hand, without aerosols—and I'm hoping for a great looking finish. Also, I love the appearance of these Millimetric Instruments guitars, which I think are milk paint.

Any tips?

2. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

That's a metallic finish.
    You cannot sand metallic paint - it just gets rid of all the sparkly flakes.

If you can find brush on similar paint, go for it, very thin coats. You'll need some build up. Because your finish will be (if brushed on) inevitably uneven, you will need to build it up with more lacquer or similar, and add perhaps a few more coats than recommended before to consider sanding and polishing. The Inverness of the brush on colour should be broadly masked by a flat lacquer.... but if you happen to break through the lacquer and sand the colour, that spot will look dull....

Personally, I would look for automotive acrylic rattle cans. They're not perfect, but can do a really good job and really broaden your colour choice. Not the greenest of choices though.

Can you get metallic finish in milk paint? If not, can you add metallic flakes to it?

3. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

Without metallic paint and spraying (rattle cans do fine), you are going to wind up with something resembling a flat, blue/gray primer coat that looks like it is waiting for its finish coat. If that's what you want, go for it. You can't brush metallic paint as you can't get an even distribution of the metallic flakes.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Wallaby likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.