1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gulity feeling after I added string tree to my 52 Re-issue.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Joely, Jun 4, 2011.

1. 92Standard

92Standard Tele-Meister

As long as it plays great and sounds good...right?

2. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input fellas!!

Did my first pub gig since adding the tree and it was a great having not to worry about the old over tone G string...... The only G string i had to worry about was the dunken fat bird who fell over dancing and we all got a glimpse of tomorrows washing!!!

3. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Does that extra tree put more downward tension on the string to tighten up the snap/twang in sound? How did you like the results?

4. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

There is a bit more tension but not stiff tight. The sound did sound much tighter only because the ghost G overtone had gone. It was just to change the angle really.

When my guitar man put the tree on he used a 5mm spacer before the spring tree so the down pull isnt too great. I havent noticed an increase in snap as such but that perhaps would change if the tree was flush with the neck creating much more tension ...it also may cause a few more strng breaks..... I may be totally wrong and be talkingout of my bottom!! lol....discuss!!

5. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Thanks Joely, I think you are right. I had the same issue with my strat, which has similar string tree. And adding another did help tighten it up. Now that you mention it, the spacer can be adjusted to taste for tension. More options for my guitars. Thanks.

6. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

you do know thats an original not a reissue right? totally worthless...

7. garyd5158

garyd5158 Tele-Afflicted

Maybe you're starting the new trend. Looks good to me and if it plays better and its your keeper guitar, nothing to feel guilty about.

8. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

Szechuanking.......dont get that.

9. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

I have to add that is not my guitat in the photo.... It from another thread but mine is exact to this (or that in the above photo)

10. Mark N

Mark N Tele-Afflicted

Hey Joel....that's my tele in the pic fellas...the second string tree was there when I got the guitar back in 97....I see no pro's or cons to the second tree, I guess it has some kind of purpose...I have teles with just one tree and they are fine. I wouldn't worry about it Joel, if you add/added the extra one it should be fine. Play that tele with authority man! :)

11. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

After years of torture, I added a second tree to my Deluxe Nashville. I went with a modern tree, though.

Much happier now.

12. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

excellent news.....daft i know but i dont feel as bad now..... cheers garrett...

13. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, no worries. I put off doing it for a long time. I used to stick a pick in the strings. Then one day, in a fit of inspiration / frustration, I got the drill out and coldly went about the business.

I felt a bit of remorse for making extra holes in the headstock, but I now have a more consistent break angle across all strings and no more annoying ringing harmonic.

And no more putting a gazillion wraps around the G post...

14. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'd've used a small piece of kitchen sponge under the strings, but another string tree will do the job too.

15. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't sweat it now. If you remove it, you will have a hole to fill & re-finish.

16. strat_tone

strat_tone Banned

For the reference of others considering it, you can just put a strip of paper over under over the strings. It should stop any overtones coming from the other side of the nut. I think there's a picture of Roy Buchanan's tele floating around with that. Just something to consider.

Also I would think it would result in a slightly higher higher tension in those two strings, which I know many do a lot of bending on. Just something to consider.

17. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

I tried using a little strip of felt. Worked okay, but I hated the way it looked. I wove a pick in the strings for a long time, but that was a bit annoying and didn't look right either. A string tree is definitely the more polished, "belongs there" solution.

I remember back when I used heavier strings (10's or 11's), removing the second tree from my Strat was a revelation in playability. But now that I use 9's it doesn't seem to make any difference on bending the G. I actually recently put the second tree back on my Strat, to shut up its overtones.

18. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

seems we have a few closet tree stringers!!! lol

19. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

string tree and proud!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.