1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gulity feeling after I added string tree to my 52 Re-issue.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Joely, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

hello

After a down wind after down wind....a new cut bone nut I have have gone for a an extra string tree/guide.

This was to cure my really annoying overtone on the G string!!! i was driving me mad....it really showed up through my amp....

A down wind would solve it until the string was worn in then it came back...

I went for a 52 style tree but now feel guilty.....

This my keeper guitar so im not going to sell it .....just feel like i have cheated on it!

Its an under the bed 1992 AV52.....

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The function of your best guitar has got to come first. If the guitar is not "right" without the mod you can sell it off, "park" it, or make it right. I always make them right.

Having said that, for those considering a second tree on a Tele with Gotoh vintage style split shafts, I recommend a "poor man's string tree". Cut the "G" string longer than the others, crimp the end to keep the string end in the post slot, then carefully guide the coils of string around the post so each successive wind is lower than the one before it as you bring the string to tune. Like a spring. I find this eliminates any bad overtones, etc.

3. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

+1

I always have a lot of post windings - 3 on the low E and 8 or more on the high E. It'll make you wonder why you ever needed a second post :)

4. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

cheers guys....it just me G string with the issue. I triedthe wind downs which is great for a week or so ( depends how often im playing) until the string settles thenit comes back.... With a little overdrive and when i was muting say a open G chord the overtone would just cut through, alomost like feed back. Now extra tree is on (vintage round style) it is sounds peachy!!! Just feel guilty of adding the string tree to a 52 re-issue......lol

5. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

photos so that we may assess the damage?

6. TheDude

TheDude Tele-Meister

I had the exact same experience with my MIJ Rosewood Tele-- added a second string tree because the overtone from the G string was annoying me on open chords. I tried different windings, string gages, etc, and they all had that overtone until I put on the string tree. I was hesitant to put on the string tree, but it solved the problem, and I haven't regretted it one bit.

7. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

It was meant to be played, you did what needed to be done.

8. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

I just did the same. Tone rules over aesthetics...

9. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Sometimes a wound G solves this too.

10. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

To me, function is EVERYTHING! What does "vintage replica" matter if your '52 RI is collecting dust? In my opinion, many guitars are like Harleys... you love 'em in the show room, but when you get some time with it, you realize you gotta do a few "mods" to it to make it fit your style better.

I wouldn't sweat adding the string tree. G string overtones are my current nemesis and I wouldn't think twice about doing what it takes to fix it.

Like Mark Davis just said, a wound G can help. I can't seem to make up my mind if I like a wound G, so I rotate between wound and unwound each time I change strings. G strings suck.... on guitars.

11. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Yep, you can either admire it's vintage purity, or you can play it!!!!

Tim

12. Psyc4Life

Psyc4Life TDPRI Member

oh......if this was only on UG.....there would be so many jokes I could say....

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This of course applies to slot head tuners and most specifically to the Gotoh versions (yeah the Ping splits, too) but I cut the D and especially the G much longer than either the B or the little E string. May look strange to some eyes, but I find there's no need to run the B or little E strings all that long so long as you do an 0le Fuzzy style 90 degree crimp of the string before you load it. I even do a second 90 degree crimp on another axis, to direct the string to "turn right" once it emerges from the slot and begins winding around the post. The string prep and loading technique you use can mean everything in terms of avoiding that second tree.

Another hint: Use 11s or even 12s if you can manage. They're more obedient to what we're doing, loading and winding strings. String tension is your friend.

Finally: Do not forget about the nut slots. Get those wrong, and all bets are off.

14. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's

wow that's a life changing experience ;) if it works then no biggie, it's your guitar

15. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wind all my strings so they are the same height and angle behind the nut as the 2 strings that go under the string tree. I hate looking at a guitar that has every string at a different angle. I never have any overtone problems.
    String length is: 2 tuner posts long on High E & B,
    7 tuner posts extra on G, 5 extra on D, 21/2 on A and back to 2 on Big E.
    I put 90 degree bend in end that goes into tuner slot. It works for me.

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

17. acousticman1

acousticman1 Tele-Meister

Let the collectors worry about the price - you the musician should be concerned with it's value as an instrument :)

18. Guitar Rat

Guitar Rat Tele-Meister

Springsteen's Tele/Esquire had a second string tree added....and he ended up playing the hell out of it!

19. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Looks good to me. I bet it plays and sounds like a champ too. If it's still bothering you, I will trade you my single tree telecaster. :^)

20. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

Its already been buggered by the remove/replace press marks and fiber chips on the tuner holes.
    Another string tree ? No Big Deal.
    The open G string really rings loud sometimes. I see folks who cut a tiny piece of tape and wrap it around the string behind the nut. That damps the ring with out the tree.
    If you wrap the string around the post around 4 times before cutting , you can get the angle low enough that its less of a problem as the back end of the string contacts the back end of the nut slot. That damps things just a bit more.
    Works for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.