1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitars you want to love, but don't?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teletail, Apr 22, 2021.

1. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I've tried bonding with Strats, Pauls and SGs, but ultimately don't because of tones I get (or don't) with a Strat, weight issues with the LP, and I'm not sure why with the SG. I started out playing on Gibson hollow bodied guitars and developed a taste for them, or ones like them. YMMV

2. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Strat. Drank too much Kool-aid that "a Strat can do anything!" so I played an MIA Strat exclusively for 19 years. Countless mods, pedals, and amps couldn't get the sounds I wanted. Sold it last year and am playing better than ever now on a PRS SE Custom 24, Gibson SG, and a Tele.

DrBGood likes this.
  3. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Yes, especially SG's. Lester Paulfuss thought that too, quite vehemently. I hated the looks of a Klein Electric, when I first saw it at a trade fair in 1998, but then I picked it up...and played it. Shouldn't have done that...because it dug a huge hole in my wallet and other guitars that I had to shift.

I love the look of Rickenbacker guitars and the sound of basses, but whenever I take them up, everything falls in the wrong place. But by and large, every guitar and model is like that. I have played, owned,and tried Gibson Les Pauls that were heavenly good, as well as completely duds, and you sort of felt like no matter how much love you put down on it, it will never turn into that mojo-bond. All other big time models too.

Today, though, I have yet to play any PRS that had fallen me into my liking, and it's mainly their placement of volume knobs. Though most of them looks smashing, but hey, each to their own. Frankly speaking now, since more than a few decades has passed behind my playing experience, I do remember only 3 guitars that I can mostly take off the hanger in any music shop and start to play readily without having to think and adjust:

1. A Levinson Blade strat from the 90s. Don't know why everything fell into place, including whammy bar that held in tune. But I never owned one, too expensive.
    2. A Steinberger headless but with body. Totally black. They're not dime a dozen. Everything was like it was set up and intonated for me... plus the S-trem.
    3. Frankly, almost any Fender Telecaster. If they have the slightest gnarl, one knows immediately that it is an easy fix. It's the ergonomic nature that probably was just a fluke by Leo. There are some off the wall oddball variants of these ones too of course.

I have objections to Gretsch, Guild, Rickenbackers, and the like and were they lean on too much of the 50s chrome plated car industry. Hello Duesenberg. But if anyone else plays them, not my business, feel free, you're welcome. If MusicMan only would widen their string spacing at the nut...they would come in at fourth. Now they seem to cater to mandolin players.

teletail likes this.
  4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I really don’t get Standard LPs. I like LP Jrs, SGs, Vs and 335s but LPs just don’t excite me. Perhaps it’s because Gibson give you so many similar options in different packages and shapes one will always inspire you less than the others.

RomanS likes this.
  5. Tiago

Tiago TDPRI Member

Well, considering I was a guitarist turned bassist turned guitarist and bassist before the current erm... health-related situation, my list is more or less as follows:

Strats. Like others have mentioned, love the neck pickup, hate the rest. Tried several, does not work for me. I have a Tele partscaster that does that neck thing just fine, so that is out of my system.

"Proper" Les Pauls. With the exception of a ridiculously lightweight flat-top "discount" LP (a Gibson limited edition thing that was pretty much sold at half MSRP when I bought it), I could never tolerate the way they balance and feel. Got myself a Sire L7 on a whim, scratched that itch pretty much permanently - that is a ridiculously good guitar, period.

Ibanez guitars with Wizard necks. I once lucked out on a Prestige at like 40% of MSRP once. Loved the sound, loved the fact it was not ridiculously in your face as they tend to be. Hated the thin neck that cramped my hands like mad. Sold it, but I do miss the sound and playability (asides from the cramps).

I have also been on a love/hate relationship with my SG for over a year. Love the ergonomics of the thing (mine has no neck dive, fattish neck and I really like the pickups when everything is on 10), but I am still struggling to get it to sound good throughout the range of the controls. She's scheduled for a lobotomy (aka, removal of the PCB and associated high manufacturing tolerance capacitors and pots) this weekend.

(Edited for typos. Don't drink and type)

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

SG.
    Firebird.
    Hollow bodies.
    Pointy guitars.
    Carvin.
    Small body acoustic

I like Strats but they are the Ranch Dressing of guitars so I don’t want them.

7. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

The Gretsch Country Gentleman was notably played by Chet Atkins and George Harrison, two of my
    favorite guitarists. I lack their skill, and find it remarkable that they used this guitar, which has never
    felt comfortable to me. I tried out many models of the guitar over many years and never found one that
    I wanted to own.

8. MugHimself

MugHimself TDPRI Member

Super strats. I think they’re super ugly.
    But I tend to like the people who play them.

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Flying V. Yes, they are comfortable and have good balance, but I find them too light. If I could find one that weighs at least 8 lbs., I would probably like it.

-----
    Jaguar. I just find them uncomfortable standing up. I've owned a couple. I kind of want to try another, but I'm too afraid I won't like it to actually buy.

------
    LP Special/Junior. Not sure I find this comfortable either. Never owned one though, unlike the above 2. I do like my 9 lb. something LP Custom copy. Also have an LP-100, it's o.k.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  10. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

P Bass.

I'm mainly a bass player, and I've tried multiple times, but just can't get behind it. I don't like the feel, I don't like the tone I get from it. I know a ton of people love it and swear by it, but short of someone giving me one, I will never own one :(

RobRiggs likes this.
  11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I hate em. If it wasn’t for the way they make the girls look at me I’d never even pick one up.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol:

Jakedog likes this.
  13. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Slava 1.jpg
    Here I am in 2008 playing my first Gibson Les Paul, which I couldn't bond with, I owned plenty Les Pauls over the years but I simply couldn't get along with them.

Mad Kiwi, black_doug and Jakedog like this.
  14. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

shhh.jpg

15. G3Hanz

G3Hanz TDPRI Member

Rickenbacker 620. My favourite when it's about the looks, but i don't dare to go after one. Had a 610 for a while and it was a real struggle to play. Ditched it after finding a 650 Dakota, which has a wider neck profile that suits me a lot better.

Also couldn't get along with a Yamaha Revstar 502. Again great looks, great build quality also, but for some reason it didn't work for me.

16. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

love/hate with offsets. great interface. the sound? only cool sometimes, but it's great when it hits. standing up with a body contour? uncomfortable for my ribs (and why i don't particularly like strats either). i'm always in this boat where i can't decide whether it's worth it to have one or not.

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

LP Jr.
    They are so stripped down...like a competition machine; but I just can't get by with only a bridge pickup.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  18. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

I'm the opposite. Bling makes my stomach turn.

19. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I might get folks who disagree but I love the look of tele deluxe and tele customs but I actually don't really care for wide range humbuckers...this is after owning a 75 deluxe and a 73 custom...now that 73 custom tele bridge pickup was killer on every level.

20. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

For me it's one I own and not a type. I have an 80s, Made in Japan Squier Tele that sounds great, looks amazing with patina and mojo, but the neck is too skinny and narrow. I don't play it because my fingers always feel lost, in the wrong place (not that i am much better at playing on any other guitar). It is just not comfortable or fun to play for me.

It has some sentimental value as well but I wonder if it should go, to make way for something I will play.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.