1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitars you want to love, but don't?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teletail, Apr 22, 2021.

1. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yes!!! This exactly! I LOVE the look and sound of an SG in someone else's hands, but I've tried so many models of Gibson and Epi SGs across the price ranges and they just feel off to me - awkward in my hands. It's not the shorter scale; I can get along with the 24.75" scale no problem. But I want to love one!

This might be my solution:

TI_AJ2_132R42R23-front-1200.png

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Gretsch for me. Had a Tennessee Rose 6119-HT for a decade, nothing wrong with it, best-looking guitar in the herd but I never played the thing. Bigsby was always in the way and the volume knob felt like a mile away. I'd pick it up, think it sounded great and played great, then put it back in the case and pick up a Fender. It's somebody else's guitar now.

RomanS likes this.
  3. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Funny, I've had kind of an inverse experience. Ibanez tend to feel fantastic in my hands, but I hate that their nicer ones tend to be super tacky looking, IMO.

I must have owned 10 different AS guitars, including the 103 and 153. My #1 among those is an older AS73, the lowly $300 model or whatever they cost new. It does play well and sounds 335-correct, but I also favor it because it's a nice plain burst. Nice dot inlays, no fake abalone anywhere...

Probably my favorite singlecut guitar, in terms of configuration and ergonomics, is the ARC which they only made for a few years. It balances, is comfortable, controls fall to my hand well. Same challenge there, though, the really nice ones are fugly.

4. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Gretsch guitars - I love the way they look, I love the way they sound (at least those with Dynasonics or Hilotrons, I don't care for Filtertrons) - but I hate the way they play...

All of them (vintage, new, Chinese, Korean or Japanese-made series) have tiny, thin toothpick-like necks, not a single model with a nice chunky baseball bat neck.

Every time someone posts a review about a new Gretsch line having "chunky" necks (like those Streamliners), I get my hopes up, and everytime I get disappointed - because the Gretsch-fanboy perspective is so skewed by the mostly shredder-thin necks, that what they call "chunky" would be considered average/medium thickness on Fenders at best...

My solution: built a couple of Teles loaded with Dynasonics and Hilotrons - with nice 1" thick Warmoth Fatback necks!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Coffeemutt, P Thought and fatboris1 like this.
  5. fatboris1

fatboris1 Tele-Meister

Gretsch hollow bodies with filtertrons. I went through several, even a White Falcon. I finally got a DSW and fell in love with the Dynasonic. That said I’ve been pricing TV Classics to drop in one of those $100 IYV’s off Amazon to give the pickups another try. I know it’s not them, it’s me.

I have a ‘60 Anniversary with HiLo trons that I love playing.

RomanS likes this.
  6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Strats.

I started on one, upgraded, was playing the strat more because of the neck but I hated the look and sound. I upgraded the pickups and other parts, but i just dont like strats.

They look generic as it gets. I'm not entirely sure, but my hatred of having the same thing as everyone else probably drove me to try a tele. Early on (age 12 maybe?) I hated how teles looked, but as I got deeper in, I realized I loved the sounds and they looked different than all the S types everyone played. The headstock being different was cool too.

Floyd Rose trems are a bit of a deal breaker too. I'm more likely to pull upward on a trem arm than dive bomb, so they aren't functionally useful for my tastes, they're ugly as sin compared to the beauty of a hardtail or the sometimes Cadillac gaudiness of a Bigsby, and they make changing strings needlessly complicated.
    I like some point guitars, but wish they had more with hardtail bridges or non floyd trems. I might own one of they were easier to find.

SGs dont look as good as LPs, and most of the time I wish any given SG weighed more when I pick it up. I don't like any PRS I've played. The best sounding and feeling ones I tried didn't do it for me anymore than a much cheaper Schecter, and it had a vine inlay Instead of those frickin birds.....

I love offsets, even if they need better pickups. I just cant get into strats.

7. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm exactly the same way with SGs, almost frustrating because I'm not usually too concerned with image, and few people watch me play guitar anyway. I really like a good SG, and I even like its aesthetics in a vacuum, but then I think about its association with a bunch of music that I don't wanna play.

The recent Sherwood, Inverness and Candy Apple models from Epiphone are tempting although I have a bunch of P90 guitars already, and an SG is probably a "may as well spend a little more on a used Gibson" thing for me. Way more reasonable than full-fat LPs and 335s.

8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

My old Ibanez Jet King II

[​IMG]

(Not my pic)

I wound up selling it. Funny thing, I kind of want another one now :lol: I think my problem was expecting it to be be a Les Paul with somewhat oddball looks, and that's not what it is. Now that i have a Les Paul, I can see a place for one of these...

Live and learn, I guess.

Telecaster88 and WTRT like this.
  9. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

12-strings.

Love the sound on so many recordings, but when I play them it is tin city. Even tuning down a half-step.

Will probably keep trying them though. Maybe I will find one to change my mind.

P Thought likes this.
  10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I bought my very first electric guitar because it is a Takamine and I am a Takamine nut.

Partly because of carpal tunnel syndrome, and partly because of TDPRI and homebuilt teles, I have developed a strong preference for wider nuts, thicker necks, and single coil pickups.

I don't play my Takamine electric very much, but it's still a Takamine and I'm still a Takamine nut.

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Rickenbackers - I don't like their neck profile at all.

LP - I've tried a few I liked but wasn't able to close the deal at the time. Most others I've tried were too heavy or had other aspects I didn't care for.

PRS - Too fancy-schmancy for my taste.

12. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Jaguars & Jazzmasters. Actually I don’t want to love them I just can’t figure out why everybody else does.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Firebirds. I want one soooo bad. But I can’t justify it because I know I’d never play it. I’ve tried and tried and they just do not work for me.

On the other hand, an Explorer feels like about the most natural thing in the world to me. And I just don’t like the way they look when I’m wearing them. I feel like a goofball when I’m playing one.

ReverendRevolver and Bruxist like this.
  14. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

LP's.

Not ergonomic to me, altho like the tones.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I can't stand any of em'.
    They sound like amplified garbage can lids.
    Too harsh?

Dumb, skinny necks, dumber bridges, noisy pickups, confusing control layouts.
    What more couldn't you ask for?
    Oh yeah, long wait to get one, if you actually want one.

I hear ya', especially the Jags.
    I love the new MIJ Filtertron sporting Gretsch guitars.
    The old MIA ones barely stay together.
    Thanks for listening.

thesamhill and Jakedog like this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

man i think you guys just don't like guitars

17. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

Collings acoustics - Owned one for a while but never bonded with its sound or feel. I had a negative experience with a store employee insulting my playing and musical taste because I didn’t want to buy the Collings he was trying to upsell me with. However, I absolutely love the Waterloo guitars.

Gibson ES-335 - on paper, I get their appeal and I like a lot of players’ tones with them, but they’ve never inspired me.

Gibson SG - same as the 335

Fender Strat - I used to be a Strat guy but in the last few years, I don’t really like their sound or feel as much, even though I feel like I should.

Don’t hurt me. :oops:

StevesBoogie likes this.
  18. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

3 pickup guitars that aren't strats.

RomanS and Marc Morfei like this.
  19. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

My PRS Custom 22 and my Tele. I used to like them both a lot but after getting an EB Music Man, I can hardly touch both. I look at the PRS and just wish it felt as good in my hands as it looks to my eyes.

RobRiggs likes this.
  20. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

Most of them actually. I've had all kinds, but keep coming back to single pickup guitars. That eliminates quite a few!

As for a specific guitar, I gassed after a Danelectro for years, and when I finally got my hands on one, the pickups were so noisy that I just had to send it back. It was rough, because I liked everything about that guitar cosmetically.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.