Guitars that "play like buttah" VS. ones you have to fight

Blue Bill

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
What's all this talk about 7s and 8s? Tough guys use 13s. Hard to imagine any butter involved with 13-60 strings.

Stevie-Ray-Vaughans-Guitar-String-Gauges.jpg

mountainhick

Tele-Holic
I don't feel like I am fighting anything with 10's. When I started playing electric at age 11, I used .008s, but graduated quickly to 10s and have been there ever since, now more than 50 years later. Needing to push a little into 3rd bends is a good feeling not a fight. High action though, forget it! I set up ALL of my guitars with low easy action.

I am blown away by you guys playing 7s and 8s. Must have incredibly light touch! My hands are not particularly strong, I have lost a tremendous amount of strength from wasting from cancer but I can't imagine playing thinner than 10's. There's no tactile feedback, and fretting notes with thin wire and especially double/triple stops with bends are impossible to intonate with anything lighter for me. I use 12-52 on my jazz box and that guitar is total butter for the style which does not include minor third bends.

Obviousy just me, YMMV!

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
I like super heavy gauge strings as low as I can get them. Not sure where that leaves me on your scale

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Which do you like better: guitars that play easily with a slinky feel to the strings, or ones that put up a bit of fight and make you work a bit?

I use just fingers when I play and usually pluck, grab, and thump the strings pretty vigorously. I also use at least 10.5 gauge and sometimes .11 gauge strings, so I gravitate to guitars that put up a little fight.

The whole "butter" thing is overrated, IMHO.

What do you all like?
I use mostly .010's but I need the action to be as low as possible without buzzing and dead spots.
You shouldn't have to "fight" your tools. Tools should be extensions of yourself when you create.
Not obstacles to overcome to be able to create.