Guitars that never made it

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
peavey-t60-burst-1981-cons-full-front.jpg

I love those old Peaveys, they reprisent a time when people tried to make something uniquely their own.

Which is something they no longer do.
1980-peavey-t-15-natural-1.jpg

middy

Friend of Leo's
got me one of those already, the 3 pickup version, and the matching bass, too! :D
Nice, I can just picture the designers at Yamaha going, “What would happen if we crossed a reverse Jazzmaster with a Rickenbacker?”

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Gibson RD Artist

GIBSONRD.jpg
They sound VERY bright, clearly catered to the eighties hi-fi craze.

But according to Nirvana bass player Krist Novoselic, they were also tough as nails, as he recounted that he could toss his RD bass into a brick wall and it didn't need to be retuned after he picked it back up again.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
that info is 50 years too late or I may have kept it for the $100.00 price!!

Adrian is the only player I'm aware used one for more than one sponsor-photo opportunity. I saw him a few times with the Ovation before he developed his own ( as seen in the video ) based on it.
It's a design only its mother could love. Adrian is a marvel, and a really nice bloke too. His albums are worth persuing. Wonderful to relax into with a willing gin or two. The Ovation may look like a spanked bulldog, but it sounds good. Adrians version sounds even better.

Area51

Tele-Holic
Adrian is the only player I'm aware used one for more than one sponsor-photo opportunity. I saw him a few times with the Ovation before he developed his own ( as seen in the video ) based on it.
It's a design only its mother could love. Adrian is a marvel, and a really nice bloke too. His albums are worth persuing. Wonderful to relax into with a willing gin or two. The Ovation may look like a spanked bulldog, but it sounds good. Adrians version sounds even better.

Couldn't agree more. First time I saw him was the original G3 tour in San Antonio. He opened and no one knew what the heck (or very few did), by the end of the first song everyone was mesmerized.

Then I saw him in Santa Fe in basically a motel lobby/restaurant/bar. He played a regular acoustic I can't remember the brand. Still have an Adrian Leg pick in my jar pics. Came and sat with my wife and I between sense. Super nice guy.

Mike_LA

Tele-Afflicted
I posted this guitar as one of my suggestions for "guitars that didn't make it" but looking at your exquisite collection
there, I feel the Gibson Modern Flying V would fit right in there.

MDVEBPBN1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg
I don't really see it as a design that didn't make it.
They made 33 of each color and the prices go up every year
I love mine.
20211103_124334-jpg.915914

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
peavey-t60-burst-1981-cons-full-front.jpg

I love those old Peaveys, they reprisent a time when people tried to make something uniquely their own.

Which is something they no longer do.
1980-peavey-t-15-natural-1.jpg

They weighed like 75lbs.!
But they were cool, funky!

- I remember getting a buddy of mine, who was just starting to play, to buy a cheaper ( T-25? I forget) model.

I later bought a Peavey Predator Strat clone in 1990 ( they came in black, white and red- I chose red) , $169!

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Also one of my pointy faves…The Alvarez Dana Scoop. When you really need to caress that last fret. View attachment 944868
My brother and I both had one of these. Really cool guitars.

I also had a Les Paul Recording, and a very decked and fancy RD Artist bass.

At the time they came out, the Charvel Surfcaster was an abject failure. But just look at the prices they sell for now.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Silicone strings…

guild+ashbory+ad.JPG
I have a buddy of mine who plays just about any stringed instrument EXCEPT 6 ( and 12) string guitar ( bass and mandolin are his main), and is constantly buying weird, always cheap stuff.
Anyway, he bought one of these Ashborys, not long after they came out- I don't know why! ( he doesn't either)
Basically shrinking an upright ( or any fretless) bass to a not-useable scale length, and put weird-*ss silicone strings on this that you cannot tune! Imagine trying to keep fat rubber bands in tune!

Now he has a ukelele sized travel bass, with the same kind of rubber strings- once again, you cannot tune this thing, plus that short scale length produces a terrible tone

Who are the R&D folks who think:
" Hey, that's a good idea!!"

Last edited:

TeleMark

Tele-Meister
There were some Gibson Modernes made in the 80's. I remember seeing one in a music store.
They definitely did a run in 2000 or so. I remember a bunch of them at the Mars Music in Alexandria. I want to say there was another one or two of the weird designs released at the same time.

TeleMark

Tele-Meister
I have a buddy of mine who plays just about any stringed instrument EXCEPT 6 ( and 12) string guitar ( bass and mandolin are his main), and is constantly buying weird, always cheap stuff.
Anyway, he bought one of these Ashborys, not long after they came out- I don't know why! ( he doesn't either)
Basically shrinking an upright ( or any fretless) bass to a not-useable scale length, and put weird-*ss silicone strings on this that you cannot tune! Imagine trying to keep fat rubber bands in tune!

Now he has a ukelele sized travel bass, with the same kind of rubber strings- once again, you cannot tune this thing, plus that short scale length produces a terrible tone

Who are the R&D folks who think:
" Hey, that's a good idea!!"
Kala makes smaller silicone string basses now. The local shop here had one and I really thought about getting it , but never did. Still regret that a bit.