Guitars that never made it

John C

Friend of Leo's
Gretsch TK 300. Looks like they just gave up when they got to the headstock! View attachment 944866

My cousin had one of these; bought it with either Green Stamps or TV Stamps. It was a cool little guitar though; I think it was a short scale, but it did kind of seem like a "kit" guitar you would assemble yourself. After he bought a used Rickenbacker 360 (back in the late 70s Rics were plentiful and cheap!!) he turned the Gretsch into a slide guitar.

I always liked the Guild Bladerunner from when I first saw one in a Guild advert in Guitar World or Guitar for the Practicing Musician mag in early 80's, before the Aerosmith/Run DMC video. I'd still love to have one for nostalgia sake, but they're way too high priced for such a folly want. View attachment 944948

Schecter also made a similar model; the designer used to be a member over on Strat-Talk and I can't recall which company he designed it for and which company made a copy without paying him royalties.

There are some mighty ugly (and unusual) guitars here. Still, I might want to include the electric guitars made by Martin in the 1960s. They don’t quite look right, and I think it’s safe to say that they “never made it.”

martin%2Belectric.jpg

Those were oddballs; but not compared to Martin's second attempt at electrics circa 1979/80 that were very Ibanez/Matsumoku (sp??) looking :

2017_01_10_08_v_1484069428.jpg

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
That musicvox looks like that banana guitar Zappa's son was using.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My cousin had one of these; bought it with either Green Stamps or TV Stamps. It was a cool little guitar though; I think it was a short scale, but it did kind of seem like a "kit" guitar you would assemble yourself. After he bought a used Rickenbacker 360 (back in the late 70s Rics were plentiful and cheap!!) he turned the Gretsch into a slide guitar.

Schecter also made a similar model; the designer used to be a member over on Strat-Talk and I can't recall which company he designed it for and which company made a copy without paying him royalties.

Those were oddballs; but not compared to Martin's second attempt at electrics circa 1979/80 that were very Ibanez/Matsumoku (sp??) looking :

2017_01_10_08_v_1484069428.jpg
Man, with a better headstock, those would be really nice.

Resojazznblues

Tele-Holic
That Martian Green SpaceTone is my Holy Grail... oh yes... one day it will be mine.

My buddy has one of these Micro Frets. It actually a very playable and good sounding guitar. But uhhhhglly
They aren't the prettiest, but I am with Chuckster on the Martian Green Space Tone, or a black Space Tone. If one comes my way, I will find a way to make it mine. Funky cool guitars.