Guitars that keep you honest

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Who else has one? I have a tendency to be ham-fisted, so longer scale necks, reasonable-sized frets, and nothing less than .10s keep my left hand in line, but no one guitar makes me face up to my death-grip and my tendency to pound when I should strum like my Takamine 12 string. Aside from the extra strings, it has the volume and sustain of a piano. Things get messy fast. I played it today for the first time in a while, and I think it’s time to make it my #1 for a while. My touch will be all the better for it when I switch back to my usuals.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I wear the cowboy chord frets out way too fast and so recently started looking at why. I am pretty sure now that it is me the term “ham-fisted” was created for.

I put 8s on my Tele to learn to play lighter and that thing keeps me honest. Any ham-bone slapped on that neck pushes the strings all out of whack.

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
Who else has one? I have a tendency to be ham-fisted, so longer scale necks, reasonable-sized frets, and nothing less than .10s keep my left hand in line, but no one guitar makes me face up to my death-grip and my tendency to pound when I should strum like my Takamine 12 string. Aside from the extra strings, it has the volume and sustain of a piano. Things get messy fast. I played it today for the first time in a while, and I think it’s time to make it my #1 for a while. My touch will be all the better for it when I switch back to my usuals.
You'll have a fretting arm like Popeye's.
Since recently revisiting my love for acoustics, my electric sound has improved I think.
Make a racket!

jaxjaxon

Tele-Holic
If you want one that will force you to play better and with a light touch get one with a scalloped fret board or use super jumbo frets. I am a little Ham handed so I like smaller vintage type frets, I like to feel the fret board under my fingers.

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
This is the most 'revealing' guitar I own, and I have a Gatton Telecaster with the original Bardens.
Notes are really dry and present, every miffed note and hesitation is amplified, playing with authority is rewarded with solid fundamental tone.
5VeQurM.jpg

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I too prefer a 25.5” scale neck. I can get the articulation with my hammer fist as well. Sometimes I’ll notice how tightly I’m grabbing the neck. I’ve worked on it a lot but still tend to go sharp on a 24.75 scale. My Tacoma sounds beautiful but doesn’t hide much.