Guitars that have been passed on to you or that you have passed on to others- post 'em.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rebelwoclue, Apr 15, 2016.

1. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My first GAS attack led me to eBay purchases of several--maybe 8 or 9--guitars: old "lawsuit" era Takamines, a Martin 000-15S, and a couple-three Yamahas. I've given them all away, to my kids and their cousins, and to students and colleagues from school.

I gave an old Crate acoustic amp to a student who didn't have an amp for his acoustic-electric.

My second GAS attack resulted in the building of five blueprint teles. I gave one of those, with a Blues Junior, to my son. I've found myself unable to give up any of the others, but to prevent myself from getting carried away, I gave my router to my son as well.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

It isn't technically given away yet but I bought one of these pink HK strats for my daughter when she was born a year ago.

rebelwoclue likes this.
  3. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

yamahasg.jpg I had a good friend that died suddenly from a burst aortic artery 12 years ago. We had ridden motorcycles, raised hell, and played in a band together. His sister gave me this Yamaha, his SM-58,and an acoustic bass. 5 years later I gave the bass to his nephew when he started playing. I still have the Yamaha and I use his old mic all the time.

My neighbor gave me a Fender acoustic, that I will be passing on to someone who needs it when I meet them.

My stuff is going to my kids, grand kids, and great grand kids sometime in the future. I don't care what they do with it.
    Sorry for the large pic. first one I uploaded since the format change

4. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

This was my dad's. He bought it new in 46.

[​IMG]

Rustbucket and teletimetx like this.
  5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I think it's been passed on to me. I borrowed it from my Dad about 25 years ago and he hasn't mentioned it. :)

[​IMG]

Rustbucket and Elias Graves like this.
  6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

These pre-war instruments were some of the first things I played as a tiny kid at my grandparents. I'm now their temporary custodian.

The brass back on the back of the banjo is gorgeous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Believe me, I so understand this post, only from a grandkid perspective. I am committed to passing on a guitar that belonged to my son that will go to his daughter who most likely will never play it, but...

Fiesta Red and teletimetx like this.
  8. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

My stories about receiving guitars is the opposite of you guys. My mother is a generous angel on earth, but unfortunately this is a quality whereby she gave to Goodwill many of my prized possessions. For example, when I was away in the Army she gave away all my childhood toys that were in boxes in the garage. Two train sets, slot cars, models I'd built, comics and more. Basically she gave away all my childhood stuff to Goodwill, including a very expensive Langlitz Leather motorcycle jacket I had been borrowing from a friend's dad. I later bought a Langlitz Leather jacket to replace the one my mom gave away but it cost me something like $700 or $800 to replace. Also missing over the years was my first ever acoustic and I don't recall where my first Silvertone electric went that I'd gotten for Christmas (by that time I'd already bought my first Fender Musicmaster and so I didn't miss it.)

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I've just started the process of thinning the herd. I'm taking my time though. Neither of my two kids play, although my daughter did join a punk band at one time, which I think I enjoyed more than she did. She was playing an old SG that I got for her, which will end up with her as soon as she thinks of it. My son never did, but he married a wonderful young woman who plays ukulele, so I'm thinking there's at least half a chance there.

There have been periods where I think I need to just try something out and it doesn't hurt if that something's all bright and shiny. So yeah, I bought a used resonator at one point, a Fender F-48 or something, MIK, had a nice reso sound. Had to fix some serious fret sprout, but maybe that's why I got it so cheap. Fixed the fret sprout, set it up ok. But never did take to it. Just not my thing. So I mentioned to a very good friend, that I was about to trade/sell it, and he says: "I might be interested." Now this is a recording engineer friend who has allowed me to record demos and such for free and has otherwise been a real good friend. Took about 2 milliseconds to decide to just give it to him. He's loving it, he set it up with a high-profile nut for slide playing.

Posted just a stock photo.

Attached Files:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I went through the reso stage around ten years ago. Traded a cheap banjo for one, I don't recall what brand, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Scheerhorn :D. It really wasn't that bad but to tell you the truth but Jerry Douglas never felt all that insecure while I had a reso. I put an elevated nut on it, and got me a nice bar that I probably still have around here somewhere. I picked up the bar in Arkansas, I knew a guy there who hurt his left hand and took up the resonator guitar and actually became quite good at it. Used to play with him and his buddies there when Toto was a pup, and we were visiting. They all really liked Toto, not so sure about me. ;) We used to go to Victorville to a big Blue Grass gathering they had there every year, after I watched some real blue grassers play over a few years, I realized I had a big future in selling blue grass instruments I had acquired. I can tell you for certain, there's more money changes hands when buying than selling. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.