Guitars that have actually improved on a les paul

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Dec 7, 2018.

1. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

another USA Hamer vote

maggieo likes this.
  2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Light solid guitar with hard nut and very heavy bridge solves the sustain issue no problem. I've never been able to tell a sustain difference between a 7 1/2 pound les paul copy and an 11 pounds artillery shell density les paul.

3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I'd bet their sales would drop - and they'd have to change tooling/methods a little bit. 90% of the people I talk to want something as close to a '59 paul as they can get without having to pay for a '59 paul.

The other ten percent seem to say something like "R4" or something with P90s.

5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I've never liked Les Pauls. Too heavy, mushy humbuckers, bad ergonomics, short scale. Just never been able to bond with one. So any two p90 guitar with a 25.5 scale would be an improvement. As long as it didn't have goofy birds on the fretboard. I love the look fo the Yamaha revstars.

I'd redesign the neck/headstock so it was stronger that a teacup

I'm going back to my various teles now

flatcat likes this.
  6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

What is that? Carved top?

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Like this then ? Thinner, lighter, belly cut, fat wide neck, well intonated wraparound, nice smooth neck heel and good upper fret access through the cutaway deep bevel. All I ever wanted from a LP shaped guitar.

3-.jpg

4-.jpg

Area51, alnico357, flatcat and 2 others like this.
  8. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hope the OP is going to allow PRS to be considered after all... I went looking for a Les Paul at a reasonable price a few years ago, expecting to buy an Epiphone. Instead as soon as I’d played a PRS SE the Epiphones were out of the running, and it was just a question of which SE: I ended up with an SE245, but it could have been a Bernie Marsden or a Zach Meyers (but I just don’t like the vintage-style tuners on those). They are great guitars for the money, with comfortable necks, great build quality, and (IMHO) excellent pickups, very clear with good bite at the bridge and great mellow LP-ish tones at the neck. At that price point I think the PRS SE range blows away either Epiphone or Gibson.
    A year or so later I played an original (core - not the current S2) PRS Mira. That I think is the greatest 2-humbucker guitar I have ever played (& the pickups sound good coil-split too). Arguably style-wise it’s closer to an SG or LP Junior (double cutaway, slab body with simple carve) but I’d buy one of those long before I’d buy a Les Paul.

9. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

IMG_0571.jpeg IMG_0572(1).jpeg Yamaha AES620HB (2005)

Just purchased, in the mail. I will be installing a set of SD Seth Lover pickups I already have. (The Creamery pickups pictured were not included.)
    7 1/2 pounds.
    Maple cap over mahogany.
    It solves the problems of weight and price.
    No idea if it will sound like an LP since it has a semi-hollow body, but I expect it will sound very nice.
    I'll follow up with more when I actually receive the guitar and get my pickups installed.

Mark

maggieo, darren7, flatcat and 3 others like this.
  10. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you mean a guitar I’d use in place of anywhere I’d use a LP, I’d say my ES-347. Sort of a 335 with a maple neck, ebony fretboard, brass bridge inserts. More punch and sustain than a 335.

11. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

why sure I'll step on that landmine...

honestly, there just isn't much room for improvement on a lp imo, other than the details.
    so far I've heard four improvments: 1. neck heel. 2. had this same idea myself - body adjust - good call. 3. weight relief (I think gibson nailed it here) 4. upper access.

The electronics (imo) might be another possibility. I like versatility, but not at the cost of simplicity. PRS came close w inside vs outside coils and two fwd wound pickups. Do they do a version w a rotary AND toggle? I've built my own wireup like this and will be implementing that on a guitar this weekend.

12. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

For a self builder, I think a neck through is probably the best way to avoid the heel issue. The ibanez musician I had was probably the most wonderful feeling guitar that I've ever played (and I finally got one this year, after over 20 years without).

Not a great thing for production, I guess - compared to a well tooled operation making a separate body and neck (not to mention the need for a blank big enough to go all the way through the body.

I do like the artist (you guys talking about versatility), because of the toggles and the better access. The toggles are ultimately a little bit of a novelty, though (separate toggles that allow parallel, series or coil splitting for each pickup) - nice to have, but I prefer the HB sound and there's always a telecaster to pick up that makes better single coil sounds.

Yes on the SE as mentioned above. I have a 235 korina singlecut SE. I had a 245 until a trip to the post office yesterday. For whatever reason, the korina has the neck of a trimmer guitar, and the 245 has a neck that's wider than it needs to be. I don't know if that's on purpose, but I don't think the profile befits a guitar that was made as well as it's made.

I have some curiosity about the S2s and other lower cost US production guitars, but not enough to buy one at this point - I need to scale back.

mistermikev likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Carvin DC150 of the late ‘70s took a crack at improving on the LP, this one’s from 1980.

Image1544221149.473466.jpg

alnico357 likes this.
  14. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Not everyone is going to like every guitar. I like Les Pauls so improving on it is hard for me. A version of the Les Paul that gives you some different options/improvements is the Axcess.

15. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

This:

I bought this model Washburn from this guy. His shop was near where I worked.

I have a LP Standard AAA Quilted top and the WI580. The 580 is very very close if not better.

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

A guitar that could stand in for a LP ?

yamaha-sg-2000-electric-free-shipping-a6f7675c0d6f88d1502045dddc3bd256.jpg

Yamaha SG.
    Although the Revstar mentioned earlier could be the modern equivalent ?

17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm with you. I've got a few, and while they may have a flawed design it's still a design that has been copied forever. That's got to mean something.

- D

18. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Here are a few of my Gordon Smiths, as you can see from the small cover between neck pickup and fingerboard, they all have truss rod adjustment at the body end of the neck. What you cannot see from this picture is that despite this feature the SG2 has a headstock repair. The G60 Graduate Slimline (centre) also has a "gut-away" comfort profile on the rear of the body, much like a Strat, and all guitars have coil-taps.

They do hold "stock" guitars but much of their guitar production is hand made to buyers own specifications here in the UK, and will cost between £800 and £1500 depending on what you want. Which is less than comparable production line Gibsons, and a fraction of the cost of custom shop models.
    upload_2018-12-7_23-11-56.png

They are available in a choice of body thicknesses, My G60 Graduate Slimline (above) and GS1 (below) are both significantly lighter than any Les Paul or Junior I have played.

upload_2018-12-7_23-23-0.png

They have a strong following in the UK, especially amongst punk bands. The recently departed Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks was a big fan. The pictures below show him plpaying a range of models over four decades;

upload_2018-12-7_23-31-50.png

A couple of years ago John and Linda Smith retired (Linda hand wound all the pickups), and Auden Guitars took over the brand. Auden have continued to build great playing and sounding guitars, however, the standard of finish has risen noticeably.

19. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

djh22, Okieactor and flatcat like this.
  20. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic

Agile AL3200 Wide neck
    Maybe doesn't beat a Les Paul in all respects, but it does have these features that are improvements in my book:
    5-piece maple & walnut (much more stable than mahogany) neck, through the body
    1 3/4" nut
    Contoured heel

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    flatcat and cactusrob like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.