Guitars That Has Been Neglected But Shall Make a Return Soon?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

20190721_143212.jpg This one right here! It was my first build from scratch. I made a walnut body with a thin piece of maple running through the middle, sort of like the George Harrison Rosewood tele. I never really bonded with it. I didn't care for the bridge, so that was the first thing I replaced. Still not bonding with it so I decided to make a new neck. That was fall of 2017 and two years later I'm within days of finishing :lol:

I ordered some new pickups from Bootstrap pickups, I'm switching back to a 3 way switch from a 4 way. All I need to do is get the pickups wired in when they get here, and make a new nut. I had it strung up before I leveled the frets and it played really nicely despite having some high spots. That should be fixed now and here in a few days I may just have a new favorite...

20190722_074002.jpg
    The old neck was maple and rosewood with gold pearl inlays.

The new neck is maple with a birdseye maple fretboard with a birdseye maple headstock veneer and a thin veneer of rosewood between the fretboard and the neck. Gold pearl inlays and pau abalone side dots. I really like it!

20190722_221541.jpg 20190722_221011.jpg 20190722_221037.jpg

2. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's a cool looking one.

Here's a clip which fits the topic so well.

rocks2oldies likes this.
  3. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

My 1956 ES125. It's on display in our rarely used front room. I set it up for slide since nut, frets and bridge all need attention since I bought it 10 years ago and I really would like to pass it on when my time comes in better condition than when I got it. There's a thread currently on archtops which had me gassing - until I remembered I've already got a better archtop sitting there than I would want to afford at present. I've dusted it off, I'll change the strings for the second time since I've had it and enjoy it.
    20180902_184722.jpg 20180905_065405.jpg

rocks2oldies, DekeDog and thunderbyrd like this.
  4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

beings as I just bought a new tele, all the rest are being ignored right now. but as soon as the new is worn off, everybody will re-assume their place in the rotation. say, 3 days or so.

Straydogger likes this.
  5. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

AA1FF74E-E84C-4E8E-B18E-F5680919138F.jpeg My ML stays in its case in the closet. It comes out a few times a year. I’m just not as into the style of music I was when I bought it back in 2006. It’s my only guitar with rosewood fingerboard and it’s fun to play but the awkward size and shape works against it.

Straydogger likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The butterscotch one is finally getting some play
    [​IMG]

7. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Has to be this Ibanez AS73 that has Gibson 57 Classic/Classic+ pickups. It just sounds and plays right! But since I got the guitar in my avatar pic it seems to stay in the case. I do use it for humbucker sounds sometimes when recording but that hasn't been the case for quite a while. Gotta change that soon. The Tele is just so versatile.

My Ibanez AS73. (2).jpg

rocks2oldies and Deathray like this.
  8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My LP and '60's Epi Riviera are taking a bit of a vacation right now. And my Gretsch 6120 is awaiting surgery (new wiring harness) but most everything is in rotation in one way or another. I finally pulled out my Jaguar after about a year and a half and had a great session playing surf tunes and Johnny Rivers songs.

9. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

I had this Jay Turser in the closet for more than 5 years without strings or gigbag just laying there. So last week I rewired all the circuit with new pots, switch, jack and a new set of pickups, filtertron type in the bridge and p90 in the neck.

A little cleaning, some fret polishing, new strings and it's done. It's great to come back and play old guitars. Now I need to find a gig where I can use it.

IMG_20190801_232805105-01.jpeg

rocks2oldies and Blazer like this.
  10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My Wildkat hasn't seen the light of day for many moons. I just pulled it out and added it to the rotation a few minutes ago. wildkat.JPG

rocks2oldies and Blazer like this.
  11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

For me it's my CP60s Strat. The CS69 pickups have always been too bright and thin sounding in that particular body, but I had an epiphany after seeing a pic of John Mayer with one of his old Strats where he had the pickups adjusted higher than I've ever seen in any Strat. It looked like the top of the neck pickup was nearly 1/4 inch above the pickguard, and that's when I realized that the 69s, which measure 5.4k with my meter, are so low output that they need to be higher than most other Strat pickups. So, after making that adjustment they sound fabulous, and it may now be my best sounding Strat.

12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This one. But it's currently in the process of getting a refin (I'm doing Tru-Oil) to replace the sloppy shellac and then a new bridge, neck and possibly pickups. 2019 with updates - front.jpg 2019 with updates - back.jpg

rocks2oldies, thunderbyrd and Blazer like this.
  13. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

my #1 (American FSR strat) has been out of commission for months. the vibrato arm stripped out the threads on the block, so I cot a callaham block and arm. I figured while I was at it, I'd do some wiring mods to make it more versatile for recording. unfortunately, the day after desoldering the existing assembly, my dogs got into my room and knocked my soldering iron down, and just completely destroyed it. Can't afford a new iron rn so I'm holding things down on my #2 rn. I was also in the midst of rewiring my 12 string, my danelectro 59, and my Squier Bass VI, so lots of decommissioned guits in this house.

14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

85628D0C-F116-4B36-9C48-A0F72E13EB8F.jpeg
    I have a 0000-18 Sinker so I understand the Martin thing.

rocks2oldies likes this.
  15. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

My ‘92 MIM tele. Got it new when I first started playing guitar. Always been my favorite but gone for months and months at times without touching it. Had to leave it with family while I’m overseas for a few years and it is missed. I just couldn’t bring all my gear. Something needed to stay. B1A01B25-7EF3-4239-B67D-D082AED2CDF6.jpeg

16. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I have a Squier Jagmaster that I bought years ago for $150 and was my main guitar forever. The previous owner had sanded the finish off, and at one point I left it in my car without a case and the pickguard melted into this wavy pattern that looked super cool. Unfortunately it has a crack in the body by the bridge and won't intonate right. Its been sitting for or so years and I still haven't figured out what I want to do with it.

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

IBAGT.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

85 Roadstar. I need to spend about three hours working on it (soon) and then take it to practice. It's a closet queen. I've been playing through the neglect funk. I need to do some work; remove the funk and get it properly intonated. It's been on my list.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blazer likes this.
  19. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

Pretty much every guitar I own has gone through this cycle at one time or another. I have a guitar that I like, but some new shiny object grabs my attention; the old guitar goes into its case; some months (or years) later I realize I haven't played it and think about selling it; I pull it out and remember how much I liked it in the first place. Rinse and repeat.

Most recently I rediscovered my AVRI '52 Tele (the one in my avatar pic). I'd been working on a series of partscaster Strats for a while and playing them pretty exclusively for a long time. For some reason I got thinking about the 52, and dug it out. I put on a new set of strings, and strung it up with five strings in open tuning a la Keef, and I've been having a blast with it. I had never played it through an old silverface Bassman I have, and that, with a 2x15 JBL Dual Showman cab, has turned out to be a magical combination (if rather loud).

Of course, now that I think about it, I haven't pulled out that Rickenbacker 360 in a long time . . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.