Guitars That Has Been Neglected But Shall Make a Return Soon?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Custom Shop 2006 Gibson Les Paul R8 needs some attention. Going to give the 2012 Anniversary Tele and the Custom Shop 63RI Gibson 335 a rest.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Probably my SX Hawk hardtail. It's been out of action for a while since it needs some attention to its electronics and some seasonal setup work.

[​IMG]

Skydog1010 and SweetClyde99 like this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Blazer has it right about neglect and multiple guitars. I have a very modest herd, a Telecaster, a Strat, an SG, and an Annie. I hadn't had Annie out for a few months. I could blame TDPRI but it’s complicated. I had my Strat out when someone here mentioned pure nickel strings warming up tone. My Strat has never been as good as I imagined it could be. I was in GC and I bought a set of Dunlop Electric Nickel 10’s and it was like getting a new guitar. I couldn’t put the Strat away. There was a thread a week ago about blues played using a Dorian scale. I’ve had trouble learning uncommon modes but I decided to work on this. Seriously work on it. I got myself to where I could improvise a single note solo but I, IV, V chords didn’t work. I had to find chords to solo off of. Some I found aren’t in any standard chord book and soloing forced me to play unfamiliar patterns. One in particular was just out of reach on my Strat. I brought up my SG for its shorter scale. It’s not quite the right tone for what I’m trying to play. I took Annie out of her case this morning. It’s the combination of tone and scale length I’m looking for. My Tele’s been in its case for a while now. I’ll take it out again when I’ve got Dorian mode blues soloing down. This is just how it goes. It’s also why having a few different guitars is about much more than vanity.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

281114EA-DAB6-426A-A397-FA3AE3D771F7.jpeg Okay....I finally heard the 1935 Gibson L-00 that I bought back in the ‘90’s sometime. It was in sad shape, but I should have gotten it to the point where I could string it up much sooner. I did the crack repairs sometime back. I still need to install May 10 new frets and of a level and dress. Yesterday I built a new compensated saddle and strung it up...with the original ebony nut. I have a lesson with it later in the afternoon. The neck is very wide with a V profile.....maybe I can get used to it since it has that width??? This guitar likely played a lot of blues judging by the fret wear. Otherwise it would not have considerable fret wear on up the neck.
    Nice guitar......very much naturally relic’ed. I’ll see if I can get a picture in a while....and I learned how to get the pic. This one has been played....and it sounds great.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  5. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

My old Strat. It was my only guitar from 1976 to 2006, when I started acquiring other ones. I’m up to, uh, ten I think. I’ve been neglecting the old girl for a while now and I’m going home to play it.
    ABFE0ABE-8702-4879-9077-D677A4A3D207.jpeg

6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

they all have been neglected for months...sorting out my job search and keeping up with outside summer chores...not much time to play so i dont

7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Bringing her out tomorrow, while I work through several Strat type projects. She's a tad heavy at 10.8 pounds, has a Fender modern C slim neck, with compound radius 12 -16, neck through 5 piece mahogany with Maple truss rod double action neck. Coil tapped pups. She's a fine Gibby clone if your back can handle the weight. IMG_20190328_163229.jpg
    Agile AL3200MCC ebony fingerboard. Jumbo polish stainless steel frets.

8. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

92 American standard strat. Bought it new. Don’t think I’ve touched it this year. Great thread idea. Thanks.

9. Brad Pittiful

i got the same strat...92 american standard...mine is black with rosewood fingerboard

Toadtele likes this.
  10. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

45439598-D8CC-4DAD-8111-A27F85860839.jpeg
    As mine. I modded it for years. It’s back to stock now except shortened trem bar. Thanks to David Gilmour.

11. Brad Pittiful

sweet...i wonder how close date wise these were made

12. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

My 97 Thinline Tele, once it has new pickups. In the shorter term, my Strat, which just needs a set-up.

13. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

After about 2 years in the case, my Les Paul Standard is getting it's 2nd christening this afternoon, I had forgotten how much I liked the old gal! I became attached to an SG Standard w/'57 classics and with such a light weight and great sound, the LP (unfortunately) took a back seat. Today it's back!
    LPS10(a).jpg

Lashdog and Toadtele like this.
  14. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

It’s funny just a couple months ago I entered the serial number in the fender database thing to see if I could figure out exactly when it was made. They said they have no record of it. There’s no way it could be fake. I bought it from a dealer in southern Idaho. All the case candy, warranty info, everything.

15. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I loaned this one to a friend about 2 years ago. It sits in his living room un-played with rusty strings. I'm not a strat guy, but this has the nicest neck I have ever owned. Time to repatriate this one.

Nubs, Lashdog and Skydog1010 like this.
  16. Brad Pittiful

sometimes a serial number search is hit or miss...my number starts with N...which says its made in the 90s

one site says
    s - 70s
    e - 80s
    n - 90s
    z - 00s

so i ran the number and it said...mine was made in either 1991 or 2001

i ran it on fenders site and no listing of that number :lol:

Toadtele likes this.
  17. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

I would love to track down a Strat body with a TOM bridge. Did that come from Rondo?

And back on topic, I just installed a new bridge pickup in my Gibson LPJ because I wasn’t getting a ton of play. So far it has really helped. It’s the first time I’ve tried a Duncan Alternative 8, and it rocks pretty hard. I’ve got a SD Jazz that needs to go into the neck slot as well.

Mincer likes this.
  18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't touched my Jazzmaster in months.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  19. Skydog1010

Probably less than two hours.

20. Skydog1010

Another "heavy" lass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.