Guitars that are worth more than they're worth

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
I just posted a lefty Ibanez AS83L on the Bay, and it got me to thinking about how I value my guitars.

For example, on the one hand is the aforementioned Ibanez. I can't remember what I paid for the guitar itself, but since purchasing it a couple of years ago, I've added Duncan Antiquities, RS vintage-style wiring, a bone nut, and a professional set-up. It plays great, but I've never really bonded with it. I'll definitely lose money in the auction, but I don't really care. I'm ready for that guitar to move on to someone who will actually play it.

On the other hand, I have an Epi Sheraton with Fralins and the RS package. I've probably got a total of $900 - $1100 in it, but I would turn down a $2500 offer without hesitation. That guitar just speaks to me. It feels right, it sounds right, it looks fantastic; everything about it is perfect. I could replace it and rebuild it with money to spare for $2500, but I'd be afraid that the next one just wouldn't have the same mojo. I'll likely die owning that guitar.

Does anyone else have a special guitar that's just worth more than its worth?

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
as the saying goes: one man's junk, is another man's treasure

when I look at used gear, It doesn't matter how it was modded, it doesn't add any value to it. in fact if a guitar has been modded, it's worth less in my opinion than original. Unless I personally know who did the mods.

my $0.02

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Given the demand for them and the price rises since I bought it, I could probably sell my Mule resonator for more than I paid four years ago. But I watched it being built (from a distance through photos and emails).
IMG_5927.jpg

I play it every day and it's completely part of the family.

20200812_112506.jpg

We're going nowhere if we don't go together.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
If somebody offered me top dollar for any of my guitars, I would sell. They can be replaced. The Strat that my wife bought me might be a bit tougher - but I think she would understand if the offer were strong enough.

USian Pie

Tele-Holic
That's the thing about mods. They often make the guitar more valuable to the owner but less valuable to a potential buyer.

I sold the Burstbuckers out of a Gibson and replaced them with TV Jones pickups. That made it a very useful guitar to me but I'm quite certain it would take a hit on Reverb.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Every one of my guitars is worth far more to me than they would be to anyone else. I couldn't possibly imagine selling any of them, but if someone offered me what "I" think they are worth, ....... probably not, but ....... maybe 🤷‍♂️:oops:
NOPE ;)

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
I guess my Epiphone EL-00 with a single coil pickup my Dad fitted - probably worth a couple of hundred pounds but I get to pretend I’m anyone between Robert Johnson and J Mascis.

kiwi blue

Friend of Leo's
When I mod a guitar I usually keep the stock parts. Upgrades are typically pickups, bridges, nut, tuners, pots, sometimes the switch. If I ever want to sell the guitar, I put the stock parts back on and keep the quality upgrade parts for another project. I've only had to do this once so far.

My two partscasters wouldn't fetch half of what I spent on them. One I like but don't feel attached to. The other is special, and it's almost an extension of myself. I did an awful lot of gigs and recording sessions with that guitar and it shows. It's beat up and nowadays pretty rusty and grimy. Some people probably wouldn't want to touch it. In fact it's about to get pulled apart and given a good spring cleaning. That one won't ever be sold. I'd give it away to the right person, on my deathbed. Not before.

tcadam

Tele-Afflicted
I have a '91 Strat Plus that's been my favorite guitar since well, 1991. I don't know what someone would have to offer for me to sell it, but I can say that it would be >5K.

Gnometowner

Tele-Meister

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
My Hwy1 Texas Tele, which I do enjoy playing and especially the neck with the 12" radius and headstock truss rod adjustment. I paid 650 for it in 2013 and can get double that now. But it's not a really well-made guitar at all. The workmanship is so-so, the bridge pickup route extends a little past the bridge, so it's visible, one of the pickguard screw holes is a little off center, the electronics are cheap. You could easily build a partscaster with the same hardware and have a far better instrument. But if I ever sell it, I'll take whatever the buyer is willing to give me for it, natch.

Edit - I think I misunderstood the spirit of the OP. I was thinking guitars that can sell for more than they're really worth.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
I just posted a lefty Ibanez AS83L on the Bay, and it got me to thinking about how I value my guitars.

For example, on the one hand is the aforementioned Ibanez. I can't remember what I paid for the guitar itself, but since purchasing it a couple of years ago, I've added Duncan Antiquities, RS vintage-style wiring, a bone nut, and a professional set-up. It plays great, but I've never really bonded with it. I'll definitely lose money in the auction, but I don't really care. I'm ready for that guitar to move on to someone who will actually play it.

On the other hand, I have an Epi Sheraton with Fralins and the RS package. I've probably got a total of $900 - $1100 in it, but I would turn down a $2500 offer without hesitation. That guitar just speaks to me. It feels right, it sounds right, it looks fantastic; everything about it is perfect. I could replace it and rebuild it with money to spare for $2500, but I'd be afraid that the next one just wouldn't have the same mojo. I'll likely die owning that guitar.

Does anyone else have a special guitar that's just worth more than its worth?
I think all of them

my first guitar (197x), a Fender F-3
a Gretsch double annie
a Gallato/Gaffiero Selmer-style petite bouche
four partscaster teles, one roughly for each era
some cheap acoustics with character
a Regal tiple from the 1920s

I've never bought anything for flipping or resale value, including cars

smoke 'em while you got 'em

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Thinking about it because of this thread I realize that out of my guitar collection I own five electrics and one acoustic that I would never want to sell. Four of the electrics and the acoustic are completely stock. These five have all gone up in value quite a bit. When I pressed myself on the never ever sell I realized that the single electric that I've modded and worked so hard at making it what I wanted it to be was the only one I'd never sell. It's more valuable to me than all the others combined. Value. I guess it's how you look at it. The modded guitar was the least expensive of the six to start with and the additional mods brought it's cost up to the cost of the second least expensive while probably devaluing it on the open market. Yet .... to me it's the most valuable guitar I own.