Guitars and Picks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deckard, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Do you use different picks on different guitars or for perhaps different styles of music? I have been using a fairly thick V-Pick for a while and I am comfortable with it but I just got a gretsch 5420 and it feels like I should use a thinner pick and it would sound better.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I do use different picks for different applications. My go-to standard is an Ultex 73, but I use nylon 60s for acoustic playing, and occasionally use Ultex Jazz IIIs for certain things. The number 1 rule is that there ain't no rules.

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use the good old Fender Thins on my 12 strings, but use Tusq picks on everything else.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Just switched from good old Fender mediums to Dunlop .73s.

For bass I use Fender heavys.

5. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

I use the same purple dunlops (1.12mm?) for everything. Even for playing bass or acoustic guitar. I just choose my guitar, or bass, based on how I'm feeling that particular day, or if one is needing a setup I'll use the other.

6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love how a different pick changes how a guitar sounds and feels. I use thick, thin, round, and pointy picks, of all different shapes, made of all kinds of materials, in all my guitars. With each guitar, I try to stay with a pick for a month or so, then change to something else. I always keep one of my best ones in a "pick pouch" key fob, in case I'm somewhere and have the opportunity to try someone's guitar.

Same as other musical equipment, I don't mind spending money on picks, but I'd probably use cheap ones if I were in situations where I might lose them, such as playing in a bar.

7. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I use the cheap ones.The ones in the glass jar at the counter in the music store.I'm not a professional like many of you guys.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I use little jazz picks on electrics, and large rounded triangular ones on acoustic and mandolin. And the same shaped ones but Clayton 1.00mm ones for picks.

9. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Delrin/tortex 1.0mm for electric....some freebie plastic pick of roughly the same thickness for acoustic. It has more "snap" on the acoustic than the delrin.

10. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I tried all sorts of picks over the years.

Can't get on with any of them so play with finger tips now.

11. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I mostly use Dunlap ultex 73 sharp. But once in a while I use a gator grip 54 for asoustic. It has a softer jazzy sound.

12. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. By far the cheapest, most immediately effective way of pulling different tones from a variety of guitars whether acoustic or electric.

13. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Love my Vs. The Screamer is my choice for electric or acoustic

14. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

I'm about to start. Relegating my shorter thumbpicks to my SG after I kept hearing a strange clicking noise. Pick hitting the neck pickup. No big deal, just another thing to remember.

15. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

Fender classic celluloid medium's are my main stay pick. I'm mostly a rhythm player but when I play songs I solo in I use tortex heavey's. Graphtech tusq picks are really cool to play around with too but a little pricey.

16. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Me too! I got hooked on the V-Pick "Screamer" and use it for both acoustic and electric. Prior to my V-pick screamer addiction I used the Dunlop .73 for acoustic and the Dunlop Jazz 3 occasionally for electric but this was some time ago.

17. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely, especially with acoustics. I bring at least 4 different picks to the gig

18. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I just started using the Tortex 73 sharp because I felt like I was going through the regulars really fast. The tip seemed to get flat very quickly. Not sure if the sharps are just a little bit too sharp, and I'm slightly concerned they're messing up my already lousy technique. Won't use them on acoustic for fear of scratches.

19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

You are totally right, that picks mean a lot to the sound. I'd say you should experiment and test something else and see how it works out. '

Keep in mind, that you can make a thinner pick work as a thicker by angling it sideways (thus picking with the side of it) which will ensure that a lot more plastic hits the string giving a fuller sound.

Or if need be turning it upside down and then picking sideways.

That way you can 'cheat'. You can chose the sound of a thin pick most of the time, but when need be you can beef it up by angling it sideways.

That being said, I mostly lean towards thicker picks (when full size) or something like the dunlop jazz II or jazz III.

20. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I use a lot of different picks, and they do affect the sound. I find that I'm like a lot of my friends, I'm often trying different new picks. Still, I've got my own favourite - Dunlop Ultex 1.14. The pick material is smooth, but after a few minutes it almost feels like it is sticking to my fingers. A good pick.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.