Guitarists of a Certain Age, Dont' Be That Guy...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bob Womack, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

This morning I am a little sore, a little scraped up, cut, and bruised, but I'm okay.

Last night I was working in the guitar studio. I've had several gear transitions recently and things have become a bit, um, haphazard. I've got a few patch cords running hither and thither across the studio to allow various pieces of gear to reach others. Because of my recent busyness, not all of the cables are well-dressed yet. In fact some are hanging across accessways. Last night I was optimizing the levels between the Helix, the Leslie G37, and the Marshall combo that I use to monitor for rehearsal. The Leslie has its controls on its back panel. To reach it I have to step over a pair of cables draping a foot or so above the floor and then twist to the right awkwardly. I did so and made my tweak and then tried to extricate myself.

Somewhere in that process I lost sight of the cables and caught both of them with a foot, tripping and falling backwards in mid-twist. I went "arse over tip" and ended up beneath the SoundSeat and on top of a Baby Taylor, a rugged K&M guitar stand, and the Line6 HD500X footboard. Lying there, gritting my teeth, trembling in pain, and wondering if I was leaking (I'm on a blood thinner), I heard the high, sweet, concerned voice of my lovely wife filter up from the downstairs kitchen: "Are you okay? I'm coming!" Apparently the crash and thump were fulsome enough to let her know I hadn't simple dropped something. She popped through the door, helped me up, evaluated my injuries (she is medically trained), and ascertained that I was not, in fact leaking too badly but was already producing some really lovely bruises (blood thinners are good for that). She cleaned my cuts, fussed over me, and made me realize once again why I love this gentle lady so much.
    This morning my right shoulder is persistently reminding of my stupidity in not dressing the cables. Inside I may feel as though I were twenty-five but outside I'm a youthful sixty-two. Importantly, no gear was destroyed in this episode, but I've got a lovely pattern of scrapes and bruises in my back that faithfully reproduces the pattern of the controls on the front panel of the HD500X. One thing that didn't occurred to me until later was that the Mashall combo amp weighs forty-five pounds and the Leslie G37 weighs over a hundred pounds and both sit on pedestals to uncouple them from the floor. The Helix perches on a small table as well. It's all arranged a little like a cockpit, with the various components surrounding me. The angles that the cords trace to the jacks are not direct, so they weren't going to simply be pulled out of the jacks. Instead, the amps and the Helix were yanked forward to the edges of their pedestals. I then crashed into the pedestal containing the Marshall, causing it to teeter ominously above me. I was very fortunate. Can you imagine if the amps and Helix had be pulled off their pedestals onto me? I would have finished up under a pile of backline very much like Wyle E. Coyote with the pianos and anvils piled atop him, and my injuries would likely have been far worse.

So folks, take care of yourselves. We aren't exactly getting any younger, not that it bothers me that much. I've never enjoyed life more than I do now but there are a few precautions we should unashamedly make. We dress cables onstage to prevent embarrassment. We should dress cables at home to prevent injury. So, don't be that guy who doesn't take care and nearly ends up like Wyle E. Coyote before he gets wise, um... like I did.

Bob

2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Glad to hear you're OK and only have bruises. You can tell people heroic tales about your injuries while conveniently forgetting that they were self-inflicted!

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Glad you're OK. Accidents happen. I bought a custom shop les paul R8 and hung it on the wall. Within hours of getting it home I was not paying attention and it was not in the wall hanger the correct way, slid off the hanger, hit the computer printer, broke two knobs but landed in a wiring nest of cables along the wall saving the guitar from any dings or a broken neck. I had to replace the knobs and pots which had broken shafts. So wires can be unexpectedly helpful at times.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Glad you weren’t seriously hurt.
    I’ve done the guitar cable splat-fall a coupla’ times myself.
    Hope you feel better soon!

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

Never mind all that, IS THE GUITAR OKAY?

Kidding, hope you feel better.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry you got hurt, but glad you're OK. At least you were doing something gear related.
    I've developed what my doctor tactfully calls "fragile skin".....it's a hereditary thing, and the low dose aspirin doesn't help. I can be walking through a door or by a bush, catch my hand or arm on something, and just start GUSHING blood. I also have all these blue and purple "blotches" on my hands, which are often mistaken as weird tattoos.
    And you're absolutely correct....better to dress cables than to dress wounds! ;)

Greggorios and 8barlouie like this.
  7. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Could have been worse I suppose, glad you're ok!

8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Even though I have some paralysis in my legs, I always tried to help with the band schlepping. A few years ago, I was carrying a tom on top of a snare, when I caught my foot exiting an elevator and went headed downward. As kids, we rigorously trained for things like this, so the old reflexes kicked in and I was able to ever so gently set the drums on the floor, silently. Then I went into the gunfighter's roll, then got up without losing breath. Not only did I brag about this all the time, but the bass player also liked telling the story. I loved playing in bands.

9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

… always

Greggorios likes this.
  10. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

At least your wordsmithery made it through unscathed.

11. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Glad you're OK. Years ago, I used to loop my guitar cord through the strap and the amp handle so I couldn't accidentally pull out the cord at a gig. Until one night, I pulled my amp head right off the cabinet onto the floor. I don't do that anymore.

12. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Glad your okay. Your mind is sharp. That is some detail and a well written story.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Glad you're OK. Some of the situations we put ourselves into, when we're positioning instruments, amps and ancillaries, are crazy. Your post reminds us how easy it is for things to go wrong, even if you have feet like Fred Astaire. :)

Greggorios likes this.
  14. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

The guitar I had plugged in was lying in the case, thank goodness. :D Priorities, priorities.

Bob

Greggorios likes this.
  15. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

time for some longer cords

good thing the taylor wasn't your cushion

Greggorios likes this.
  16. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Glad you're okay! I started running some cables overhead, on long hooks (of coat hanger wire) attached to the ceiling. One method of getting them out of the way!

nojazzhere and Greggorios like this.
  17. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

59YO here, glad you are OK.

I have a slightly different issue with our keyboardist; he is a 'close talker' and from what I can tell, guitar blind. One night he stood on my pedalboard to ask me a question. The guy cannot move without bumping me our my gear and he never looses his balance.

Nice enough guy, but he is a bull in a China shop.

Greggorios likes this.
  18. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feel better man. You're right, of course. Sad but true, so much easier to do lasting damage as we age. Healing takes longer too. I'm regularly reminded that my body just doesn't bounce, turn, move and recover as easily as it once did.

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'd probably have "issues" with your keyboardist....I hate people onstage even stepping on cables. STEP OVER/AROUND THEM for cryin' out loud!!!!! (this is why I still have perfectly good cables that are forty years old!)

stevemc and Greggorios like this.
  20. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

what is good is that if you dress the cables and clean up a bit, you can still have the 5 scotches ;)

nojazzhere and Bob Mc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.