1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitarist posing as a bass player?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Tomm Williams, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I could follow along on bass and do some simple blues/rock things. But the minute I hear a "real" bass player, I realize nope, no way, never could I do that in a million years. It's like the difference between playing chopsticks or Chopin on the piano.

erratick likes this.
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Okay, I'm gonna say it . . . if you can play guitar you can play bass - technically.

BUT of course it's not that simple. It's a different animal, a different discipline, and you have to reign it in and find your place in the band, which is a very different one from playing guitar.

But being able to play the six-string animal really, really, really helps.

erratick likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Pastor Jay says it all right here.....
    "your job is to help make sure everyone knows what chord you're on while also locking with the drummer so everyone knows where the beat it."
    Another great bass player to listen to and emulate is John Illsley's work with Dire Straits. Much of their music is VERY syncopated.....both rhythm guitar and drums, but Illsley plays mostly "dead on" the beat. If you listen, or even play along, it feels a little odd NOT to join in the syncopation, but it makes a difference to the overall song. Many bass players, who don't have their own individual sense of rhythm, can't do it.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Great point on the syncopation element.

Overall, I feel like a good angle to approach it from is "The audience should only notice me if I stop playing or screw up."

5595bassman and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    I worked alongside a bass player for nine years in a technology company. He always said us guitarist's were a dime a dozen. I'm starting to believe him.

I love hacking away on my baritone 27 inch scale 24 fret guitar.

6. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

This guy is the best in doing both simultaneously. More of a jazz player though.

and

Tommyd55 and erratick like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The "great bassist" stuff and the vids are cool and all. But the first and most important thing is to be able to play like Dusty Hill, Dee Dee Ramone, or somebody like that. THEN you can start to think about other stuff. Being able to play guitar only makes it easier to put the cart before the horse. The actual important thing, as others have said, is to signify the chord of the moment and locate the beat very precisely.

8. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Charlie Hunter is from a different planet. He doesn't play bass or guitar- he plays Charlie Hunter. Love that dude.

Nobody can be him though. It's better to be your own best bass player.

9. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I’m a bass player. Have been for over 45 years. I play guitar as well. IME two totally disciplines that people can’t discern between. Bass is about getting in the pocket and providing a grove to the drummers rhythm. This gives the foundation of the song for the remainder of the band to build on. Guitar is the flash instrument everyone watches, that’s great! But, if you don’t have a solid bass player who puts the song before the ego/flash, you’ll have a bad time on stage.

10. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

If it helps from an aspiring bass player who generally plays guitar.
    I started by playing the note of any dominant chord through an octave pedal With six string.
    It helped show me I needed a real bass guitar.
    Also, I am learning, bass can have a different walk than guitar and arrive at the same place.
    Think of bass as a note and a beat... either or both when it fits best.
    I, personally, respect a great bass player as much or more than a great guitar player.
    Also, somehow, the greats don’t always land on the note exactly on the beat?!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  11. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Got a bass and really only play it to get basic backing onto tracks recorded to share with the rest of the band.
    ie mainly chord triads.
    But, for me, and this might sound a bit old-school but ... Bass players are essential to warrn/remind the rest of us when a chord change is coming.
    If they want to go off on some flight of fantasy playing triplets or whatever... feel free, just make sure we know a chord change, or worse, a key change is coming.

1961mojo likes this.
  12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

This is actually a great way to distill it down and view it.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Well, there's this gal...

[​IMG]

Bob

14. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

As above, Jamerson, Dunn, Kaye. Plus Sklar, Berry Oakley, David Hood, Carl Radle and Joe Osborn.

Practice using a metronome on the 2 and 4 helps with groove.

There are isolated bass videos on YouTube.

15. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I believe there is an old saw that sings..."You only notice the bass player when they stop playing"

16. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

That, Sir, depends on the song. For instance listen to The Staple Singers “ I’ll Take You There. As a bassist I detest that sentiment and would not play with a band that felt that way.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

start with the one

and the sound

and your form

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  18. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I was speaking broadly and you are right that it depends on the song. Most, in an audience, are focused on the front folks (singer, etc.) and the bassist keeps it all in the pocket and is not noticed unless he stops, eh?.

David Hood's line is fantastic and one of my faves to play on the couch.
    I'd love to play in a real band.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  19. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

This is probably the most amusing and disappointing thing I've ever read on TDPRI but I do appreciate your honesty. Question: What are you doing on stage if you're not listening to everyone else on stage with you?

Seriously, don't waste your time messing around with bass. Why? Because bass is for players not posers and they have to listen to everyone else in order to make it work. :lol:

20. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Wow, just wow. Learn to listen. I'm just ... wow. Do you ignore the drummer, too?
    Look, brother, friendly advice here: go back to basics and improve your life ... and improve your talent. Learn to listen.

Why don't you woodshed with some mp3s or videos and learn the Bass parts on guitar ... on the bass strings of the guitar? That's just a start, but what better way to train your ear and your awareness?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.