Guitarbuilder's From Build Challenge build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Jul 20, 2013.

1. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Those pickups do go great with it. Hope to hear it sometime soon.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Thanks guys... I'm thinking of doing a companion one... I really like how it feels and plays....

3. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

That's too cool, Marty. The bridge is just insane, I love it.

4. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Looks great Marty! We want to hear some noise now!

5. guitarbuilder

Thanks guys... It's not quite done... other than stick those pickups on, I still need to do strap buttons and the fretwork. It has been my couch guitar for a while now... I've been trying to make progress on a few others too while the weather is still nice.

6. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's

Marty,

I've been up all night worrying about other things, and this build came to mind. Any progress, or is the parlor taking up all you spare time.

7. guitarbuilder

Reading at TDPRI takes up my spare time...LOL. The guitar is playable and gets a daily workout on the couch. I have yet to put strap buttons on it and odd that you mention it but I thought I might do it today and take it to practice tonite. The pickups are wired in humbucker mode now. I bought a 3 way lever pickup...think Kay or Silvertone and have been toying with the idea of putting a panel jack in it and using the existing jack hole for a three way lever knob. Version 2 is in the works in my mind.

8. Scooby Snax

Way to go, so did it meet your criteria of all the kitsch and vibe with the play-ability?

9. guitarbuilder

I love it. Other than being a bolt on which isn't my cup of tea, I think it feels just like a Gibson. I haven't played it standing up, but I think it will be in the vintage Melody Maker territory with the rounded edges. I made some wooden pickup covers for the other pickups, so naturally I need a guitar to put those on. Those pickups should have a bit more Fender tone to them.
    The chrome and white and red, just send me back to a more relaxed time.

I think it plays great with the zero fret and the action actually has to be raised up a notch.

And the neck is held on with two drywall screws at the moment.... pretty funny how those work, at least with 9s. Makes me wonder if 4 is overkill.

10. guitarbuilder

OK, the strap buttons, neck plate, and 4 screws are on. I'll take it to practice and see how it performs.

11. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Careful, the IGPA is monitoring all work to insure no project ever gets finished.

12. guitarbuilder

The tuner rings haven't been installed yet...or a string tree...LOL. Feels like a nice Spring Day today.

13. Scooby Snax

Leave one pickguard screw off, and you can retain your charter status.

14. guitarbuilder

This is true.

15. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

How does that bridge sound, Marty? Does it let the strings ring? Delrin or UHMWPE?

16. guitarbuilder

I think it sounds very nice. That is Delrin I think, not quite as white as the HDPE I have. Seems hard enough. I figured if Gibson can use nylon saddles....why not?

17. guitarbuilder

Well, I played the guitar at practice on Friday.... and I'm not too thrilled yet. The pickups wired as a humbucker were hard to dial into a good tone. The guitar is just a tad neck heavy, which surprised me. I think I'll go ahead with the plan to add a switch and see how the Teisco pickups sound individually. If they stink, I'll swap out the covers for a couple I wound earlier in the thread.... If that doesn't work out.... not a big deal....I like the looks, but if it isn't inspiring and comfortable...there is no point in continuing on with it. I am just not cut out for a tele I guess.....I fell back into the LES-G after an hour which felt like an old friend...:).

18. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I think the three way switch is definitely the way to go. Some out of phase switches may get you to the extreme kitsch tone quickly. Well done!

Rob

19. Scooby Snax

Marty, I think you're will need to drill a hole in the body to put lead slugs in to balance it like a golf club. Or hollow out the neck. I agree with Rob, no switch makes Jack a dull boy.

20. guitarbuilder

Thanks. I will try the least invasive thing which may be a panel jack and switch in the control plate.
    Dunno about weights..... I strive for lightness. I might be able to reduce the peghead weight some. It isn't much, but there is a bit of a dive. The willow is lightweight and so are the pickups at the moment. A couple humbuckers would do the trick...LOL.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.