Guitarbuilder's From Build Challenge build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Jul 20, 2013.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

I got my two new magnets today....man are they powerful...but not enough to reorient my pickup magnets which is too bad.... I will have to make a 4th pair of pickups and change things up a bit to accommodate either some old Tiesco magnets or a Gibson bar.

2. guitarbuilder

Here is an update. I started to draw a new pair of pickup mounts for the existing coils and pickup covers. The current covers and mounts present a bit of problem due to the sharp corners. I redesigned a set of mounts to be slightly longer which would allow me to round the corners. I drew them up and machined them out.... they didn't turn out exactly like I planned because of my limited knowledge of the CAM software ( no manual)...so mostly what I've learned is by trial and error.

So today, on my daily 30 minute walk to ponder life....I remembered that I bought some clear cast last year.... so I think I'm going to try my hand at casting some covers. This means mold making and getting into new territory...which I like... being a lifelong learner...

I ordered some black opaque pigment and some other stuff. Could be more fun or not... I don't know.... to be continued.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

It was worth a shot...:D

4. guitarbuilder

Oddly enough.... I have a teisco style trem and roller bridge I bought at the same time as the other parts. I have the other side of the 12 string tuners too. Extra parts here and there... I am thinking about making a second...maybe not this second though as I have about 4 guitars in various stages of completion....:)

5. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

That is going to be fun to watch.

Will this be along the lines of what Chris (clsatt) did in is challenge build or another process altogether?

Thanks Marty for sharing!

6. clsatt

clsatt Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like he's talking resin casting. Similar stuff to two part epoxy-- you create silicone molds that the stuff gets poured into. There's a lot more control than the thermoforming that I do. I actually hope to get into resin casting at some point but it can be pricy.

7. guitarbuilder

Yep, I had already bought a package of clear cast resin..it is epoxy. I decided to get the " super kit" from hobby lobby which has everything but colorant and pigment. I ordered some black pigment. It is all enroute. I'll make a wooden mold of what I want to end up with and then use that to make the latex mold. Since I haven't done this sort of thing in about 30 years, it is kind of all new to me.
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/super-casting-kit-580068/
    They had a 40 percent off coupon....so it wasn't this much.

8. guitarbuilder

That's the point...you can watch me screw up...LOL

I'm already thinking about casting a body.....Ha Ha....

9. clsatt

clsatt Tele-Afflicted

That's the same kit my brother inlaw picked up for making some target grips. Be really sure you get it mixed fast! It starts to set up the second the stuff goes from transparent to cloudy and it fully sets after that in less than a min. We lost a whisk on the first batch, thinking we had more time. It also gets really hot!

The latex is really easy to work. To prevent bubbles on our mold, we poured the mix from really high up so the stream would get really thin and let the bigger ones pop. There were some small ones left but most were on the surface where the resin wouldn't be going anyway.

I want to mess with it more before committing completely and investing myself but we managed to use up almost the whole kit on one set of grips... I know it works well once you get the hang of it but it sure is pricy to get into.

10. guitarbuilder

When I first started teaching shop we had the kids cast stuff. I wonder if you can slow the reaction by backing off the initiator a bit? I remember that it stunk to high heaven, so I will be happy to play with it outside. I figure if I can get 4 single coils cast from the kit I'll be happy... actually, I don't mind wasting money on stuff that I learn from. I could be smoking, drinking, or playing scratchoff whose results end up at about the same place as a bad batch of plastic. :)

11. guitarbuilder

12. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ha, that's almost as nice as yours!

But for $69 bucks, hmmmm sweet deal.

13. guitarbuilder

but it has the mojo induced...."gold tone " pickup....

14. Scooby Snax

I think your's has quite a bit of Mojo too!

15. guitarbuilder

Ran across these pickups while rummaging through some boxes...these were what started me thinking about this project in the first place. I stuck them on and although they need to be raised up on mounts.... I love the look with the chrome and white and red.... They don't sound that bad either.
    [​IMG]

16. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

That looks phenomenal!

17. Scooby Snax

Cheque please, we're done here!

18. guitarbuilder

Thanks... I wish I'd checked that box before I ordered the casting kit...oh well, might have to learn how to make some knobs or something. I have one more of these loose pickups too. I suppose I can harvest some covers and just attach them to my coils....or not...LOL. It won't change the votes....at this point.

The guitar is playing great and hardly buzzing now... we're closing in on the end I think.

19. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

That looks awesome Marty!

20. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Outstanding!! I love the way it looks. Awesome work Marty congrats! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.