Guitarbuilder's From Build Challenge build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by guitarbuilder, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

C'mon Finish er' up!

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Really, Marty?! Come on now.

3. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Come on brother! You can do it. Even if you just post a quick pic of you polishing off smudge marks off it should count and buy you another week, your too close. I really wanna hear this too. :D

4. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

What would you say if this was one of your students?

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Please - - -??

6. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

C'mon Marty, all you need to do is say you've polished a few things. Too close to the finish to throw the towel in now.

7. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

On the home straight. Deep breath and finish strong!

No quitting now.

Matthew

8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Amen!

9. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

C'mon Marty, a lot of people look up to you. Get out there take some pictures and post them.

10. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

11. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Hey Marty, I know how it feels to get overhelmed and bored with a project.

I like how this has gone and some day I hope to see the completed guitar.

12. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

+1
    Marty it is your guitar and your decision,you can do whatever you want.
    If one day you decide to finish this project please post some photos and a sound clip.

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Thanks for all the motivational comments everybody. Peer pressure doesn't tend to work on me...LOL.

You have to walk a mile in one's shoes and when you all have as many guitar components under your belt as I do....well you may be able to appreciate where I'm coming from. ...while the number of necks and bodies without finish are in the multiple hundreds... actual completed guitars with finish and set up are probably number less than 10. That has never been my goal. I just like to make and design parts....which is why I've been playing factory electrics for the last 30 years. I'm always looking for that elusive perfect design that deserves a coat of paint..... and I haven't found it yet.... but I'm still working on it.

So here is a summary and final comments in retrospect.

The "challenge" here was to get the concept built during months when guitar work tends to be the most unproductive for me. The Summer heat and humidity is about as bad as the Winter cold for productivity. The weekly updates forced me to keep going. That was a good thing...plus the 4 weeks of mild weather was helpful because standing in a hot box with dust mask, safety eyewear and occasional earmuffs makes for poor working conditions.

The guitar got built...in fact I could have had two done with all the parts lying around with all the revisions.

I think I demonstrated that having a cnc router doesn't make one an expert....it's just a tool. Completing a lot of guitars from start to finish makes one an expert. You can now get a cnc router for around 2000 dollars at your woodworking store
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/0/...arver-cnc-carving-machine-model-40913-m1.aspx....

lots of people will buy them... and they won't be experts. I hope this rule is discussed again for next year because in my opinion it is flawed thinking.

If you are just reading this last entry, on this guitar, I made a honduran mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard and homemade mots dots. Also I made the following; one thinner willow body, 2 rosewood neck shims, two wbw pickguards, 3 control plates (2- wbw and one bwb), 2 HDPE plastic saddles, 1 rosewood bridge mount, 2 rosewood pickup mounts with acrylic pickup covers, I wound 6 pickups, and made 4 plastic knobs of which 2 actually were used, and one bone nut. So a few parts got made...that was the fun part.

The not so fun part....The last 4 pickups all sound good, but I was hoping for the bar magnets and liked what I heard from them but the weirdness with the D string phase caused the last set to be built. I may try and re-magnetize them with some strong neo magnets...maybe some larger ones used for wind generation that I can get off of ebay.

The action is pretty good at the moment with a nice Gibson like neck angle. The frets got leveled twice and still there is a pesky buzz up near the 2nd octave. I think I need to get myself a nice diamond fret file ...which I don't have, to do this right. I didn't like the results from my old Gurian file and would rather wait to do it again.

Somebody should invent precut masking tape and sell it to stew mac.

and yes...I know ....I could do it with a triangular file or sandpaper on a stick... well.....that's fine for those who want to do that.... I don't. I'd rather wait and get the tool that is right for me. If you want to use abrasive on a stick....go for it.:)

The plastic saddle actually sounds pretty nice. The notes sustain a lot longer with the zero fret and saddle, more so than what I was expecting.

The paint is OK... not a pro job, but I'm happy with the results as it looks good. I'd pass on the Duplicolor in the future and go back to the re-ranch, which requires fewer cans.The duplicolor was convenient...but 5 cans ran about 40 dollars...

I can't justify a compressor when the last time I really painted a guitar was in the 1980's....

So... the guitar will get a few more tweaks and join its past Challenge brethren that are still around here.

Final details that still need to be worked out some time....The pickup corners need to be rounded, the logo needs to be attached, nut glued, frets leveled a third time...or at least crowned and a restring. The intonation is really great from what I see on my guitar tuner. That was pretty lucky.

Again thanks for all your support and for participating in this venture. 'Til the next post...Please stick this in the HD section so I can add to it.

Marty

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Respect, Marty. I'm just selfishly sad; I wanted to vote for this one (and hear it!). It has a charm all its own amongst the 2013 build threads.

15. guitarbuilder

Thanks...it'll get done...just not this week or next.:)

16. ItZaLLGooD

ItZaLLGooD Tele-Holic

A little disappointed but I understand. Nice work and good advise, Thanks

17. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Sad to sse you leave this late in the game. Happy you listened to yourself and not anyone else. Life's too short to live it for others.

I wanted to thank you, because of your post on how to shape a neck I was able to shape my first neck by hand. The first one was done with Bill Scheltema's jig and it was fine. If it was'nt for your post, I would'nt have tried it by hand and enjoyed it so much.

Thanks and take care!

18. guitarbuilder

Yep, it has charm.... thanks for the "vote".

Thanks no reason to be disappointed. It'll get done.

Thanks...glad the tutorial helped out. I liked your Adirondack chair sanding station.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  19. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Marty, bit sad, but I guess we can't force you to do it. but if we could!!:twisted: you know it would be done for the right reasons.

Well, whenever you get the itch, I'll be there waiting to hear it.

I also liked the tutorials, and agree with your sentiment regarding using the CNC putting it in the expert class.

20. rockdog.

rockdog. Tele-Meister

:cry: That's so sad Marty, it's such a nice guitar. But I hope you finish it here one day and show lots of pics of your Copycaster! Thanks for sharing so many cool ideas and great craftsmanship, I really enjoyed your build thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.