Guitar You Want But Is Out Of Your Price Range

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by JoesTele, May 12, 2020.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It would probably be something like an L-5 Gibson for me. Or a Tal Farlow...
    BUT, my specialty is being too cheap to buy one!.... so instead I'll buy 20 cheap guitars over a few years and spend twice as much as if I bought the L-5.

Paulie13 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  2. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

That Ric was my dream guitar for many years. I had the pleasure of playing one at the old GC on Milwaukee in Chicago back in the late 80s early 90s. It's still the most beautiful guitar I ever held in my hands. For our wedding earlier this year, my wife bought me a surprise 2004 Fireglo 360, and it's an amazing guitar, everything I could want from a Ric......

But I still look at pictures of 381v69s from time to time!

JoesTele likes this.
  3. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I currently have the hots for a vintage Tele Thinline II, or a Custom, or a Deluxe. Just a Tele with some original wide range action going on. But there's no way for me to justify the cost. Heck I'm even jonesing for one of the new American Original Telecaster Customs, but I'd need to feel the necks and hear the reissue WRHBs in person first.

If they ever make the new CuNiFe reissues available a la carte I may get a couple and drop them in my MIM Classic 72 Thinline and be done with it... Or even just get a pair of Brandenwounds. Time will tell.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  4. bigbreak

bigbreak Tele-Meister

3184778ede8ba8dad7df324c15e6c1c5.jpg

Danb541 and Telecaster88 like this.
  5. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

EVERYTHING is within range if You want it.

Frodebro likes this.
  6. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Meister

Why didn't she buy you the Ric 381V69? Price? Was she not aware of that guitar?

7. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Meister

Hmmm, this is an interesting post. And one that goes beyond mere guitars.

So you suggest that if desire is strong enough, the obtaining can be achieved. That's only possible if one has a criminal mind. The majority of us can earn a nice comfortable living but still we realize we will not own an Aston Martin. The criminal mind believes it can or will own an Aston Martin.

stantheman likes this.
  8. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Ha, ah, I don't know how much she paid for the 360 but I'm sure it was substantially less than a v69... She's guitar-aware enough to know when she sees me playing a new one I snuck in, but really only knew that I always wanted a Ric, and this one popped up locally. She had a friend of mine go to the shop and vet it for her. In any case, gift horses and all that. In the real world I could never justify the $$$ required for the carved top and checked binding, as pretty as they are.

What kills me is the 381v69 I played circa 1989 was "only" $1200, but at the time I was 20 years old and it may as well have been $1,000,000...

9. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Meister

The 360 gives exactly what the 381 does. Seriously, the only difference is cosmetic - the carved top and the checker binding. That's why in the first post I put the 381 on my list of guitars that are far too pricey for what it does. It really isn't the price that makes one balk, it is the guitar isn't worth the insane asking price. It really is just a 360 (stereo output, bound back, bound neck, shark fin fret markers, high gain pickups...) but only it has a carved top and checker binding. That isn't worth an extra two thousand dollars.

On the other hand, a White Falcon is nothing but a Country Club with a lot of bling. But the bling for an extra thousand dollars extra on the Falcon makes it worth it over the Country Club.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  10. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

A 63' tele with matching head stock in lake placid blue like Nancy Wilson's Nancy-Tele-WEB.jpg b3b295a44a339fc818a8597d0e33ef81.jpg .

Telecaster88 and rockymtnguitar like this.
  11. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Nah, if you want it bad enough You’ll get it. Myself, I made all the computations, quit smoking, and got myself a
    Gretsch 6120 TM, something I never could have afforded
    without making the sacrifice of saving my own life.

12. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yes once again i would love to have rick turner no 1.Maybe if i win the lottery.

13. Jkdlee

Jkdlee TDPRI Member

Who watches the Anderton’s music channel on youtube? I want Danish Pete’s Fender custom shop reissue 52 telecaster relic in metallic purple!

D84F7D69-2A1D-4A01-B07C-0D65CA61025B.jpeg 7B0145F0-3FC4-484E-945C-36DEFC44DD8C.jpeg

55D644B7-0C62-40F8-A32C-075792CAC265.jpeg

14. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Les Paul Jr.

Yeah, there are plenty of inexpensive single P-90 guitars that sound good, play well, and kind of look like them, but it’s not the same.

Even the MIJ copies from the 70s/80s are mostly out of reach for me.

Danb541 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.