Guitar world pet peeves

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by grim83, Aug 3, 2016.

1. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Just curious what peoples pet peeves are about guitars. Below are a few of mine

Acoustics with cut aways. Especially bigger body guitars.

Relicing...aside from a vintage instrument (and those may not even be safe) I'll barter based on dings. It's like tools to me, if you made your living (or spent a lot of time with your hands on them) it's understandable to have dings and each one tells a story but those are yours not mine and if I'm buying I want to add my own. Plus it just looks shoddy to me on anything new.

Skinny necks. Period.

Les Paul's with skinny necks. 50s les Paul's are one of the holy grails why go with the anything else.

Teles without a Tele bridge pickup, why bother (just my opinion sorry killers).

I could keep going but let's see what kind of fire storms we can start.

2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I just discussed this in another thread, but, again, I have a big, big problem with having enough sustain to allow me to work with a more vocal type sound (electric blues guitar solos), without the 4th string sounding like a steady-state square wave. I can understand why some blues players of yore purportedly taped the knobs on their amps. I'm exaggerating the problem, which I can actually control well enough to not be bugged, but still is something that causes me to devote an inordinate amount of my critical energy toward managing.

3. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

We've had the relic bashing thread literally hundreds of times here. We don't do it anymore. It just causes trouble, If this turns into an anti-relic thread, it will be shut down ASAP. Just FYI.

Yeah, we don't do firestorms either. Spirited discussion, absolutely. Flame wars or personal attacks, NO. CS

bloomz, Flaneur, Zuzax and 1 other person like this.
  4. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

I wasnt trying to make a relic bashing thread specifically it just is one of my peeves. If somebody likes something that's they're deal I'm not paying for it. Also I was just using humor on the flame thing I was just curious what bugs others. By all means though if this gets stupid shut it down people seem to lose most all basic decency.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh goody. Another pet peeve thread.............

Well that covers one of mine. :p

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Overpriced gear (which covers 90% of it)

MilwMark likes this.
  7. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

For me:
    Locking tuners
    People who can't re-string, like the ones who tie knots at the tuner
    And basically anything written on the Guitar Fetish website! :)

TheletterJ likes this.
  8. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

1) When I was a new noob, I woulda said all the sheet music that put everything in the key of Eb. Whaaa? Took me a few months (that's 12 years to a 12-yr.-old) to stop looking at the sheets and go by ear, steal friends' learnings, etc. (Though this trauma did help me to avoid the commie scam of learning how to read music.)

2) Overly thin necks.

3) Rough fret ends.

4) Stores so ill-stocked, and their stock in such bad/battered shape (bad action, bad intonation, dusty pots, etc.), that I end up at the nearest hardware store looking at tacks just to calm down.

5) Ill-cut nuts.

6) Salespeople who don't know much, letting their cousin who knows even less play overly loud shred on overly-terrible equipment for an overly long amount of time. (Can't they tell how afraid of dying I am?)

7) Snobs--meaning, people who both disagree with me and usually know more than I do. So, most people. Unless I've had ample Tele time. Then I love them. (But they're still wrong.)

8) Balky/abrupt tuners.

9) Sharp fretboard edges.

10) Overly wide necks.

11) Overly thin, dull, or tinny strings.

12) Shred-ish pickups.

13) The look of EMG's. Hell, the idea of EMG's. Almost as offensive as pots that do almost nothing.

14) Unnatural guitar colors. Meaning anything reminiscent of K-Marts (aqua green, surf blue, etc.), or in-your-face-y anger (tiger yellows, zebra, snarling snakes on pickguards, violent contrasts, etc.). Likewise, weaponized shapes. TV yellow, tasteful sunburst, black, etc.--natural. Satanized Vargas girls--not.

15) Handles built into guitars. As a true weapon against true despair, a guitar allows you to leave the B.A.R. at home.

16) How expensive the one Custom Shop guitar I want is (the '56 Strat RI).

17) Victoria amps. Gallingly good. Gallingly expensive.

18) Bad packaging on shipped guitars.

19) For-sale item posters who don't respond to relevant (yet also so-witty) questions about their merchandise.

20) Self-absorbed sots who overpet their peeves. (See 5), above, and stop looking at me.)

21) People using equipment that can yield beautiful, varied tones to make just heavy metal, or shreddy, or over-overdriven/over-effected "music."

22) The zillion Youtube clips in which people demonstrating interesting equipment homogenize and nullify that equipment's distinctiveness by playing the same kind of over-distorted, over-showy blues doodles.

23) Amp demos that don't involve enough use of the Tele, since a straight-in Tele is crucial to demonstrating an amp's inherent qualities.

24) I.N.T.O.N.A.T.I.O.N. problems. Even if the guitar/my playing sucks, it must suck IN TUNE.

25) That there's never enough time to play enough guitar. (Even when I don't waste it.)

dswo, waymore, bloomz and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Almost anything blingy or otherwise flashy, like binding, carved tops and fancy timber on solidbodies. I would not be seen out with an LP Standard, for example. To me, it is just a lump of wood that holds the strings and pickups. I'm a bit more forgiving on acoustics, but not much.

Most headstocks. Fender, Martin and Gibson got it right first time.

Anything pointy, except some florentine cutaways.

Pickups that don't have uniform output across the strings.

Covered humbuckers, except the low output kind.

Heavy electrics and flattop acoustics. It can't be avoided in metal resos.

The one we aren't allowed to discuss.

MultiFX, for their time-wasting potential.

Gosh, it feels good have a whinge occasionally. :D

10. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Weird headstocks.

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

4 knobs are just too much. I can make 3 work, 2 is better. One would be best.

12. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

Decent pots should not be a determining factor of custom shop quality. Sadly though, you have to spend big dough to get reasonable cheap parts.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Skinny necks.
    Narrow nut widths.
    Short scales
    Shaller tuners (nothing wrong with them, just don't like em')
    All black guitars
    Acoustics without cutaways
    Tele neck pickups
    Volume controls
    Tone controls
    Floyd Rose tremelos
    Locking nuts
    Scalloped fretboards
    Hockey stick head stocks
    Unbound set necks
    Offset bodies
    P90s
    Yellow guitars
    Antigua finishes
    Yikes I'm fussy, cranky and hard to please, better get some coffee!

14. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

guitars with too many controls-Jags, Jazzmasters etc

15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thick finishes

Paisley Telecasters

The shallow bass side cutaway on 70s Teles

Custom Shop versions that essentially charge thousands extra for making the guitars the way they should be made in the first place.

Tony474 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

NONE of mine is priced that way. It's all priced at exactly what I paid for it.....plus tax of course. ;) LOL

Tony474 likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Lately I've been looking at used ads and seeing lots of this. How are these people picking prices? Maybe they look around and see similar listings and take the max of them (I'm being optimistic about their behaviour). The thing is, ads for things that are not being bought maybe be hanging around for a reason!

Flaneur likes this.
  18. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

Paul riario... he'll demo a hollow body with full on distortion

rburd2 likes this.
  19. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

This is just me-so no hate here. SG shaped basses. SG is such an iconic guitar, but as a bass, no thanks.

20. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Shredders who have no musicality

Shredders who tell you that your standard blues driver is 'a ****ty tone' and suggest you buy an expensive pedal that sounds just like a blues driver but not quite as good.

Guitarists who tell you they play funk or jazz or country and then play on all the wrong emphases

Rock players who don't swing.

Swing players who don't rock.

Tone fiddlers. Watched so many bands wait for the guitarist to dial it in. Knob gets turned. No difference to tone. Knob gets turned the other way. No difference in tone. Knob gets turned again. No difference in tone. Guitarist smiles. Plays. (Could have started 30 minutes ago)

Guitarists who don't test an instrument but show off their chops.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.