Guitar Wiring Plan: Will this Work?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by alathIN, Nov 12, 2019.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I'm building a semihollow with two P-90s.
    I love the "Deaf Eddie" wiring on my Tele and so I'd like to come up with a plan for "Gibson style" wiring that incorporates in/out of phase and series/parallel options.

Attached is my first draft. A guy on a different forum roughed out the push-pull stuff and I copied the tone controls from Seymour Duncan.
    I think I can wire this up and test it outside of the guitar - to save myself the frustration of installing everything in a semihollow and then having to re-do it.

But it would be even better if the gurus here at TDPRI could steer me clear of problems ahead of the actual wires and solder stage ;-)

ADDED NOTE: I am using shielded wires for all of these that travel between different components and the shields will link all of the grounds.
    I just didn't draw in all of the ground wires to avoid the diagram getting too messy.
    I do not have tons of semihollow wiring experience, but my Ibanez Artist is wired that way and it seems like a much more workable option than trying to shield the insides of a hollowbody.

Wiring Diagram I.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I am no expert but the one P90 shows 2 wires and the one 3. If you only have 2 leads as I suspect I don't believe you can ground the one lead and still have the possibilities of "series". If you are grounding the base plate then there is a wire missing (I think)

I am certain someone will chime in that is much more of an expert at these.

alathIN likes this.
  3. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

That would be a problem - except for the fact that Jared Brandon is making my P90s and he's going to wire the bridge one with separate wires for "signal ground" and "ground ground."

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

There seems like a bit of weirdness in that diagram.

Decide if you want '50s wiring' or 'modern wiring' for the tone pots.

Look up the Jimmy Paige wiring scheme. That might help some.

Have you tried hard wiring the pickups (twist the wires together) to test the out of phase, parallel, series, etc options you want to get? Do you like the tone? Will you find it useful? That testing may convince you that the path you have is correct, needs course correction, or abandonment.

5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

6. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I may be missing something but I think you only need the standard hot and ground wires to do series/parallel.
    Where you need the "signal ground" and the "ground ground" separated is when you want to reverse phase. And you don't need both pickups to reverse the phase because you only need to reverse one of them (if you reverse them both, you're back in phase).

P-rails are a little different because they are effectively humbuckers - a P90 mated to a rail type pickup - and those diagrams are letting you coil tap the pickups to get rid of the "rail" and be left with a basic P90 sound.

It is perfectly possible that I am wrong about some part or all of this. But this is my understanding.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The in phase/outta phase may be good, but you may not like the series option for the 2 P90's. I thought I would like it, but didn't care much for it - too much of a good thing is how I describe it on my 3 P90 Strat. Your pickups being further apart may be better, you'll never know til you try I guess.

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I tried to wire a 3 wire pickup(Tele bridge with baseplate) and a 2 wire pickup(Gold Foil) with ground to case on a 4way switch, but it wasn't possible unless both pickups had separate grounds for base/covers. Or at least it wouldn't work for me.

9. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

My thought is that I will probably only use series mode with out of phase.
    I have the Deaf Eddie 5 tone wiring on my tele and love that position.
    The Deaf Eddie wiring only needs signal neg and ground to be separated on one of the pickups.
    But I can easily ask Jared to do both of my pickups that way in case I need it.

10. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I definitely intend to test it on a template outside the guitar before the hassle of threading everything inside a semihollow and then having to pull it out to re-do it!

I didn't actually do the 50's wiring on purpose - I had a bunch of wiring diagrams open and the Syemour Duncan 50s Gibson wiring happened to be open.
    I was going to try 50s wiring on my Ibanez Artist (also a semihollow but with PAFs) but wound up doing treble bleed instead - my understanding is the advantages are similar (less loss of treble as you roll off the volume) but the volume and tone knobs behave more predictably with modern wiring and treble bleed. I'll probably re-do my diagram and post it again.

Also, the actual Deaf Eddie himself, inventor of the 5-tone tele wiring I like so much (with series, parallel, and series out of phase options) helped fix a couple of problems on my diagram.
    I'll try to post an updated version when I get a minute to make a clean layout.

11. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I heard back from The Master, Deaf Eddie. This is a revised diagram incorporating his corrections and comments. Wiring Diagram v.3 res.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.