Guitar wire

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by slick848, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

You got the teacher, Myth Monger [har!], angry and she made you write that on the chalkboard 100 times :twisted:

2. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I agree. I used cloth covered as well even though it doesn’t improve tone one iota, unless you’re Eric Johnson. He can probably listen once and tell if it’s cloth and how much you used. Neat job by the way!

Frisco 57 likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Ken Fisher (Trainwreck) often said wire is 'directional', and when installed one way it sounds better than it does the other way 'round.

I think this was less a true belief and more of a little inside joke just to help maintain the mystique of his amps. This sort of disinformation is quite popular among makers of amps, pickups, etc., and also among players--Eric Johnson and Eddie Van H being two of the most outspoken on these esoteric aspects of making music.

bgmacaw and TimT like this.
  4. Marblatx

Marblatx Tele-Meister

Since you don't need much just go to the auto parts store and get some of those little rolls or 18 or 20 gauge wire in different colors.

5. 76standard

76standard TDPRI Member

6. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

+1 you can get a spool of 22 awg white & black, cheap and wire up a ton of stuff

7. kingmlg

kingmlg TDPRI Member

Send me a PM and I'll send you enough hookup wire to wire twenty guitars. This is 24 solid core from old organs. I harvest wire from anything that uses electricity. This is 600v hookup wire. Perfect for guitars or amps. I'll also include some black. 20210207_163947.jpg

8. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

A guitar repairer I know cuts up and uses SCART cable. It’s multi-cored, flexible, suitable size, comes in lots of different colours, and it’s free because nobody uses SCART any more. What’s not to like?

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Years ago when I was working my first tech job as a phone support tech, we got in a batch of memory boards that would often crash a PC. By accident, we discovered that unplugging a jumper, flipping it over, and plugging it back in would fix the problem. I guess the manufacturer had gotten a bad batch of jumpers that made poor contact on one side but it wasn't obvious if that was the case. It was fun trying to explain to customers why just flipping over a jumper would fix their problem. Some thought we were BS-ing them.

Peegoo likes this.
  10. npilger

npilger TDPRI Member

I use cloth-covered waxed push-back wire for all my builds (same as used in custom shop Fender guitars) - Amazon or eBay are good spots to look. The wire is pre-tinned so really easy to work with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.