Guitar Wear; natural relicing, I suppose

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dlew919, May 30, 2016.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't wear guitars - I see guitars with the paint worn down to the wood: I've never done that. I'm not complaining, mind, but those of you who have worn it down - how? My yamaha (bought approximately 1989) has all its original paint except for a couple of chips. My solidbody mando (played most days, gigs fairly regularly), has no lacquer off it. My telecaster has no marks except some tiny divots. What am I doing right? or Wrong?

just curious.

Iron Broadsword likes this.
  2. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

The poly guitars don't wear like the old nitro guitars did.

dlew919 likes this.
  3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The old nitro guitars didn't wear like people seem to think they did.

4. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Personally I like a poly finished guitar as the finish is so durable. You can play the heck out of them for years and maintain a new look. I don't care for a finish that wears off quickly.

I already have the relic look :), don't need my guitars too have it too!

soulman969 and dlew919 like this.
  5. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

Good question.

Even nitro doesn't wear to an excessive degree; and poly is virtually indestructible.
    Personally I find the majority of relics are too extreme.

Mike Simpson and dlew919 like this.
  6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Poly is indestructible until you break it, then you don't get a relic, you get a virtually unrepairable mess.

3-Chord-Genius, blackjaw and dlew919 like this.
  7. telemall

telemall Tele-Meister

I don't own any old nitro bodies but have stripped a few poly bodies with an array of different marine and aircraft strippers.They laugh at that stuff.I agree that it is virtually indestructible.I have a 92 mim that was my only guitar for 20 plus years.Other than a few nicks and superficial scratches,the body is in great shape.Discolored quite a bit from smokey bars,but overall still really clean.The finish on the neck however is gone on 3/4 of the fret board.Im not a fan of adding damage to simulate wear,I was taught to respect them as instruments and scolded that they are not toys.People accuse me of taking sandpaper or whatever to the neck and it angers me a bit."Thats hard work and dedication,I earned that" The wear on the sides of the neck is what usually make them believe me.Its like my very best old friend,I wouldn't dare intentionally damage it.If I was going to I would've beat up the body as well.At any rate I think it's an excellent example of how a poly body wears over time with tons of play time,very little....Ill take some pics and post them

8. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

My worst bits of "natural relicing" come from a paulownia-bodied Tele that, for whatever reason, I stored on a rocking chair. It fell off more than once, and now has a few nice dents in it.

My proudest bit of natural relicing is my acoustic guitar. It came with a satin-finished neck, and I've played it so much that I wore it into a nice gloss. :D. Also, I un-crowned the frets by playing it so much.

Dustin0413 likes this.
  9. telemall

telemall Tele-Meister

My no.1

Attached Files:

danlad likes this.
  10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

You mean like this?
    image.jpeg

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My every day player is a '94 MIM. It has a few dings and the fretboard has a fair amount of marking. The only real wear on the body is a thin line that's worn where my right forearm rests against the body. It's not really noticeable, though. When your body wears away paint, you usually grind grime into the surface. It's not your skin that's doing the abrading, it's all the dust, grit, and broken beer bottles your body collects during the working day. When you see bright white wood showing that's usually a pretty good indicator that something's been artificially reliced.

Dustin0413 likes this.
  12. telemall

telemall Tele-Meister

I think there is an error on the pics I posted.....When I click them I'm seeing a cut finger from another thread....I didn't post those.....I see what I posted on the main website but those aren't my pics on the app? Not sure what happened there?

13. telemall

telemall Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

This is what I posted....not that cut finger.

dlew919 and Iron Broadsword like this.
  14. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I clicked on each of them, and the large pictures where all the same as the thumbnail.

telemall likes this.
  15. telemall

telemall Tele-Meister

Oh ok,great,thanks.Its showing me something else.I was mortified to see that.

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I didn't get the finger on my end...:)

Anyway, I can understand someone questioning that extremely contrasting and square fret board wear. The wear on some guitars is more gradient.

The look on that neck is what turned many off to the early Fender Roadworns. It just didn't look natural...

But after seeing your pics maybe it's more natural than we think?:)

Iron Broadsword likes this.
  17. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

Certainly not what you'd expect to see when you pop into the local guitar shop to nosey about the Roadworn series.

How did that happen on the fretboard side? Did you wear through areas and then the rest flaked away or did it just sort of come unstuck from the maple?

18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not at all saying that you did this intentionally, but I think that's not so much "natural wear" as a fault in the application of the poly when the guitar was made that allowed moisture to get underneath it and loosen up the finish.

And this is not unusual in early 90's Fenders; I've seen it many times. (I'm kinda glad my '95 AmStd has a rosewood board).

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

20. telemall

telemall Tele-Meister

I had a crappy strat knock off for a few months before I bought that one from my father in law who bought it new.Early playing and learning I didn't go past the 12th fret very much and played mostly chords and rhythms.It has baby vintage frets and I used to over fret or squeeze to hard maybe,I have bear paws.Oddly there's no wear on the back of the neck from my thumb.It started to appear just under the strings in those areas but progressively just got worse.Its filthy because the dirt and grime are embedded into the grain and that's why it's so dark.Ive read that the Mexico factory was just opening in 91-92 and that a lot of things are questionable,who knows if it was a flaw in the clear or if they shot less on the face?I say honestly and in good conscience that I did all of that with my hands playing,sans other unknown variables.I didn't aim to take over this thread,I apologize guys.The body is in great shape even though I've played and gigged the crap out of this thing,I don't see myself wearing through that

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.