1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar volume pot quieter at 10 than at 5

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Thoughtfree, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Gutar volume at 10: amp is quiet. Guitar volume turned down to 5: amp BUZZZ...

Baffling. Replace the pot, or something else going on? I am sure that this cheap but great-playing Gretsch with HBs could benefit from a complete rewire. Maybe just go inside the cavity and heat up all the solder joints?

Thanks!

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

The one time I experienced that (hum increasing as the volume pot is rolled down) the problem was a cheap cable with poor shielding.

3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

You might first try cleaning the pot with some DeOxit or similar -- just to eliminate it as a cause.
    If that doesn't work, then escalate up to solder joints and/or swapping the pot out.
    Also, you might have a look at the wires/connections at the output jack.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That sounds similar to a problem I had once with a bad ground on the vol pot. You'd think it wouldn't work at all, but it acted like that instead...

However, if you're fishing pots through F holes, I'd probably just replace it. No fun doing that more often than necessary.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If blasting it with a plastic safe/no residue electronics cleaner doesn't fix the issue, replace it. Pots are cheap. The ones that came as stock equipment in that Gretsch are even cheaper o_O

"Plastic safe/no residue" is super important if you're shooting it into a pot that's mounted in the guitar because the spray will get on the wood and any lube/solvent can stain the wood or damage the finish through the wood.

If you decide to rewire, remove the pickups because most of the work can be done through the pickup cutouts. Use string or plastic tubing to pull the pots into place. Take care not to drag the wire loom and components on the guitar's top because they will scratch up the finish.

6. Thoughtfree

Thanks, folks. It turned out to be a faulty string ground to the bridge stud in the body. I cracked the thick poly finish on the front of the guitar, when I pulled it out. Too soon old, too late smart...

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Glad you sorted it. However, I don't understand how a poor string ground to the bridge can cause that symptom.

Was it due to a bare wire (the string ground) in contact with tab 3 of the volume pot?

8. Thoughtfree

No F-holes - this is the bottom-of-the-line solid body. Per my VOM, the ground wire had totally lost electrical contact with the bridge stud - and bridge, strings, etc. Restoring this contact seemed to end the problem. I am not saying that I know why this should be, or what I am doing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.