Guitar TV ads

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It’s a very small industry. And only a few companies do enough business to be able to throw a lot at marketing and neither of them needs the ads to attract customers.

If you’re a Strat person no amount of Gibson ads would make you change, or Yamaha ads wouldn’t make you think of giving up a Tele.

Also every professional broadcast reporter has a Strat hanging in their office. Is that really a coincidence? No reporter on any network has a Les Paul?
Never thought about that

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It seems like everything is advertised on TV except guitars and related gear. Ever wonder why?
I have seen the odd Guitar Center ad on TV.....not sure when the last one was, though.
But, when was the last time you saw an ad for toasters?......or microwave ovens?.....or plant nurseries?
Those and hundreds of other items just aren't fodder for national ad campaigns. We think about music gear simply because that stuff is such an important part of our lives. That's why we realize it's missing. ;)

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have seen the odd Guitar Center ad on TV.....not sure when the last one was, though.
But, when was the last time you saw an ad for toasters?......or microwave ovens?.....or plant nurseries?
Those and hundreds of other items just aren't fodder for national ad campaigns. We think about music gear simply because that stuff is such an important part of our lives. That's why we realize it's missing. ;)
I guess I never noticed because I don’t care about those things.

naneek

Tele-Holic
A current commercial has a convertible car with 3 musicians behind the driver. They are playing loud, and the strat is unplugged.

My guess is an oldie is the partial track with no real musicians or music recorded for the commercial. The wave of the future. No musicians, performing, production of a riff w/mixing, and another moneysaving ad.

Actors? Do you want this product?
here's an example of what you're describing from an old soviet era russian car ad:
upload_2021-12-20_19-16-44.png

it's not plugged in, he's strumming randomly, and I'm sure the "guitar" sound in the music is a frequency modulation synthesizer.

this is definitely the strangest example of a guitar that is not actually being played, being used to make something else look cool.

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
because there's not mass market appeal and because TV is for old people

I do see ads on youtube though. Fender ran some really good ads a year ago or so aimed at young women and young minorities

not that i give a **** about either in terms of "inclusion" but it was cool to see fender aking a "this is a tool for everyone" statement

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Decades ago commercials for pianos & organs were common...especially the kind with keys that lit up to teach you the tune. IOW geared towards attention-craving talentless dummys...you'd never find a guitar player like that.

Are you forgetting Esteban?
Trying to...he's a great example of why guitars shouldn't be advertised on TV. So's this guy...
ughh...take his guitars away and never let him touch another. Umm...oh yeah...