Guitar that sounds lika a bass

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Big Tony, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Hi,
    I'm looking for an octave pedal that can make my guitar "sound like a bass". I'm thinking of live looping, or maybe faking it for a song or two in a band.
    No need for fancy functions, just "faking bass on a guitar"; the simpler, the better.

Any tips?

/ Tony

2. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

I do that all the time! I have two options for it - digitech whammy set 1 octave down and Line 6 M9 "pitch glide" model set for 1 octave down with mix on 100%

Of the two I actually think the Line 6 model sounds more convincing. You can pick up a Line 6 M5 on the cheap and you'll get a ton of other effects to use as well.

I'd also recommend putting an A/B box at the end of your chain and running the "B" channel into a DI and direct into the board. I've read that playing bass through a guitar amp is not good for it so I always play "bass" direct in.

3. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Thanks, TheletterJe!

I've got a bass amp, and a guitar amp, and just want a pedal that does the guitar-to-bass thing OK, don't need all that other stuff. I'm looking for the easiest way to fake bass! :)

/ Tony

4. TheletterJ

The EHX Micro POG is the simplest way to get there, but for the price of one of those you could get two M5's. But if you're just looking for the quickest route the POG is best in class.

5. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

A Digitech whammy will do, secondhand prices are pretty low.

6. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

EHX pitchfork! Sounds great for that application

7. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I use a Digitech Drop for that purpose : basically a scale-down Whammy without the "rocker", specialized only in lower pitches ! It works well for my looping needs.

8. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

What they said are all good.

I myself just use the Octave effect in my Zoom G3 and plugged it in a Hartke Bass amp which is connected through a dI in our church. Nobody can tell if they didn't see that I was only using a Tele!

9. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Good grief, I didn't have any clue any of this was possible!

Any digital-y signal qualities from this? Does it sound not only genuine but good?

And does it record well? Our bass player isn't always available, etc.

Thanks for any feedback.

10. TheletterJ

Personally, I have actually taken the step of bringing a bass guitar to shows with me if I know I have to cover a lot of ground. I've been running my bass into a POD and then right into the board - no amp.

I've found that, while I love me some pitch-shifting effects, there are always going to be some digital artifacts that bleed through. I've tried a bunch and can say the Micro POG is the best of them, followed by Line 6, but playing a real bass guitar is still better IMO. If I was only going play bass for one song here and there I'd go processor; as it stands I've been playing bass for 25-30% of our shows and we usually cover 1.5 - 3 hours. For that much bass coverage nothing beats the real thing.

Luckily my band has a new bass player now who is going to start playing shows with us this month so that will make life easier for me. I have to admit, it's been nice to leave my pedalboard alone for several songs in each set though - I'm going to miss it a little.

11. TheletterJ

Two more thoughts here:

1.) I happened to have a Whammy, Line 6 M9, and POG on my board already (like I said, I love pitch effects) so using a pedal was a no-brainer for me. However, if I was going to have to open my wallet and spend $150-$200 on a pedal to make my guitar sound like a bass and that's ALL I needed it to do, I'd just hit up Craigslist and buy a bass guitar.

2.) Whatever you do, don't run the bass through your guitar amp. If you have highly inefficient speakers (high wattage rating) and play at low volume you can get away with it, but say you've got a Vox AC30 and you need to get over a drummer... Say goodbye to your beautiful Alnico Blues.

Instead, run an A/B into a DI box and go direct.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.