Guitar Tabs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Apr 26, 2018.

1. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

This is very good advice.

@tele-rain , IMHO you should post a basic query on the tips, tabs, technique sub forum. There are very helpful people there who can get you over the hump on understanding key, and chord progressions. Once you “see” it opens things up considerably.

I’m kind of a beginner too. So I don’t feel qualified to give you specific advice. I can say that learning the major scale, applying that to chord progressions, and then learning the Nashville # (I ii iii IV V vi vii) helped me a lot.
    Then the circle of fifths really starts to make sense and the “aha” moments come....

JayFreddy likes this.
  2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

If I'm going to learn a song, I'll check out as many different versions of the TAB I can find and see which one sounds closest to the recorded version and go from there. I'm not one to try to perfectly cover anyone's stuff note for note. Just get me in the ballpark and I'll go from there.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Same here. Many times there are several ways to play a song correctly even if not exactly the same as the original performance. If I find an easier fingering for me then that's what I go with regardless of whether it's the way it was played by the artist. I mostly try to get the signature parts of a solo correct and then do my own thing elsewhere.
    All tabs are not created equal.

4. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

using tabs is only cheating if you copy the answers:D

5. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

There used to be a site that had an extensive selection of powertabs. It was pulled down, 2005ish, because of copyright issues. Originally it was moved to an overseas server, then that went away.

I've lived places where restaurants and clubs had to have a cabaret license for live music. You either had to play originals or pay a royalty. What it really did was kill the music scene; think no Jazz piano player at a nice restaurant! Or, more often than not if one was playing, they were doing it bandit style. Bandit from the law that is.

6. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Man, there was nothing worse than trying to learn a song on a guitar that was out of tune, using a tab printed out on the schools dot matrix computer and finding out later that the tab was wrong. Kids these days with YouTube and tuners on their phones have it so easy.

7. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Tablature is great. It predates all other known forms of written music.

Even if you know standard notation, tab' still has an important role because of the ease at which it can convey complicated grips and fingerings.

I think there is a misconception that published tabs are more accurate than internet tabs... If you include all the Greenday songs on the internet tabbed by a 10 year old from Boise Idaho, that is probably true, but the vast majority of popular music tab books are wrong as well.

Some publishers are better than others.

In my experience, Warner Brothers are one of the worst offenders. With Warner Brothers publishing, you're usually better off with the 10 year old in Idaho.

Hal Leonard publishing is much better, but even Hal screws up sometimes.

I have a large collection of ASCII tabs that I have tabbed out for guitar students over the years. Strictly for educational purposes, of course.

I used to host them on a Yahoo group, but one day Yahoo deleted the entire group without warning.

I still have the files and add to them regularly, but I'm more cautious about who I share them with.

Thanks to Warner Brothers and that kid in Idaho I still have a job.

Ps. I have a couple of tabs posted here in the Tab and Theory sub forum.

8. DaveG

DaveG Tele-Meister

hmm, tabs.... often a good starting point if you already have a good ear. As many have pointed out, most online tabs are questionable at best. For a lot of 60s/70s stuff the old Andrew Rogers tabs are still great. He was a visionary.

I'm with you JayFreddy - I still tab out tunes, esp. those that I have never seen "real" sheet music for. But I usually do it in a program like powertab or Tabedit that also generates the sheet music. Tab only tells you so much: no timing info usually. If you're gonna learn the whole method of tabbing note values for ASCII pages, why not just really learn to read/write music? Then you can learn the sax solo too!

You are never gonna see tab for things like Lonnie Mack's "Memphis" (unless it's the one I did!) because it's too esoteric for most players: it's one of those grail songs that most players eventually realize they should know and start to look for the right way to play it. Back in the day you needed to sit with somebody who knew and was willing to share, or get up close and watch somebody play - that's how you learned secrets like how Brian Jones >really< plays the lick on The Last Time. Now you can go watch him play it on YouTube.

BTW, It wasn't because some of us were posting tabs of tunes like Memphis or the Peppermint Twist that powertab went away, it was because people were wholesale copying tabs out of published sheet music books like Hal Leonard and the magazines. That's just stealing.

the old joke is often still true:
    Q: How do you get the guitar player to turn down?
    A: Put the sheet music in front of him.

Learn tab and you'll open up some horizons. Learn to read notes and the world is yours.

DekeDog likes this.
  9. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I couldn't have learned some of the Gatton songs I play without tab not only showing me the notes, but showing where to play them on the neck. Some of his stuff was damn bizarre! Well,,,, a lot of it was!

10. Tabbycat

Tabbycat NEW MEMBER!

I would like to add my 2 cents. I started my tab website back in 1997. There was all kinds of arguments about them. How BMI and ASCAP was hunting the web for illegal tabs. It scared all the tab websites, some closed down. I just continued tabbing the songs and just waited to get a cease and desist legal document......but none never came. There is a lot of noise on this subject and so many saying how much they know and they have the real truth. It was hard to trust any of the information. This went as far as to try and stop Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts singing popular songs at their campfires. It got insane. Tabbing a tune is the sole work of the tabber, it is their best guess or knowledge as to what is being played on the recording then writing it down. All of my tabs have always been free, all I ask is not to have my work uploaded to another archive, but my website ended up feeding a lot of tab websites. Anyway, I thought this subject had been put to rest but I see from your posting it has not. I do have a standard statement on every one of my tabs saying "This file is the author's own work and represents their interpretation of the song. You may only use this file for private study, scholarship, or research." That statement satisfies the legal thing on tabs I believe.

DekeDog likes this.
  11. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I'd probably be a lot better if I learned more songs through TABs. It takes a lot of the necessity of transposing out of the learning process. And if I'm transposing through listening alone, I miss a lot. I do read notation, but very poorly. I like the kind of music found in the Real Books/Fake Books, and to learn them, I'm forced to read notation. It takes a lot longer than TAB, but once I learn it, it sticks. Plus, it forces you to find the area of the fretboard where the music is easiest to play. And since you only get the main melody themes, it encourages improvisation, which I most enjoy.

12. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Most online tabs are incorrect. Also if you try different sites, most are just copy and pasted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.