Guitar Tabs

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I remember OLGA but never knew what happened to it.

Like @NoTeleBob says they're a good starting point. They'll often get you into the ballpark.

Just earlier I was watching a video of a guy who was going over the intro section of TYA's "Going Home". Usually I dislike video instruction for things but in this case I thought it was pretty alright.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
Yeah but to play TAB you need to know the song intimately. Reading music you just do it and you get better the more reading you do.

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
The cool thing with tabs is they help with the tuning of metal bands. Cannibal corpse uses a wide range of downtuning, and you don't have to figure them out with tabs. And if you go low, the recordings get muddy and a strong palm mute can sound a halp step higher.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Yeah but to play TAB you need to know the song intimately. Reading music you just do it and you get better the more reading you do.

But "written" music can't show some of things that TAB can show. Guitar has a lot of slurs and techniques that don't replicate as other instruments do i.e. there's only so many ways to hit a piano note. Hammer on, pull off, bend, bend and release, pre-bend, vibrato, etc. You either can't show it in conventional scales or, it too, requires hearing the song played by others.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
Theory has a rage of tchnical terms that express how to play notes. Adagio is the only question I ever got wrong ( meaning - funereal). Piano- soft. Forte - Loud and so on. Gissimo- running up and on and on it goes. It is the length of the not , breve, semi-breve, crochet, quaver et.al that is uncertain in TAB. It was the original form of writing music but improved upon over centuries by what is now formal musical notation. No offence meant, just defending my position on musical theory.

historicus146

Tele-Afflicted
the worse thing about those videos is when the guy plays something at full speed and when he slows it down, he doesn't play the same thing exactly. I guess time is money, come on...
I really like this channel, i think he was a member here at some point.
Slow it down yourself with the Gear Logo (settings) under the youtube video. You can slow youtube vids down to .25.....and you can go frame by frame with the > or < keys.
There are more and more videos with demonstration and the tab running underneath. That's way better than trying to slow down a record on a turntable. Anyone remember that?

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
Slow it down yourself with the Gear Logo (settings) under the youtube video. You can slow youtube vids down to .25.....and you can go frame by frame with the > or < keys.
There are more and more videos with demonstration and the tab running underneath. That's way better than trying to slow down a record on a turntable. Anyone remember that?
Yeah, there is an app called transcribed which was suggested to me by a member. It enables to transpose pitch and speed of a youtube video. Very good !

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
I use tabs here and there, mostly as a starting point for a new song. I also sometimes make tabs for certain ideas, riffs, chord-voicings, so it's more a memory for me rather than a notation.
But frankly, I wish I could read and write notes properly. I'm okay with bass and reading notes in bass clef, as I'm playing bass in a brass orchestra, but I suck at the treble clef.
I think notes are far more nuanced than tabs.
They still may be in regular use by luteplayers, but you can't use them to communicate with other musicians outside guitar- and luteplayers.