Guitar Swap: Should I Do It?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Rostlund98, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Rostlund98

Rostlund98 Tele-Meister

I've found myself in a bit of a dilemma. I have a Squier Jaguar listed for local pickup on Reverb. It's been refinished and relic'd and whatnot and it's just not for me. I listed local pickup because I don't want the hassle of shipping a guitar. I have no box, no packaging, and just didn't wanna deal with it. But someone offered me a limited run Gibson LP Junior w/ a coil-tapped humbucker in it for the Jag. I don't particularly want a Junior, I was looking at a 335 style for my next guitar (maybe the Epi 335 Pro). But the other Juniors like this listed online are all listed at a few hundred dollars more than my Jag, they've all been up less than two months, and someone has made an offer on all but one of them. So do I do the swap, put up with the hassle of shipping and try to make some extra money off the Gibson? Do I do it and keep the Gibson? Do I pass? Who knows? Not me, thats for sure. I'd appreciate any input, including where to get shipping materials cheap.

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I know what you mean about shipping, but you may have trouble selling a refinished Squier anywhere, on the other hand, there should be a significant price difference between such a beast and a "real"Junior, even though this one was not terribly expensive (IIRC they were a GC run 5-6 years ago & were around $600 new), so make sure all is as is should be (no HS break, changed PU for a cheepie etc.) also if you are planning on flipping the Gibby most polls like a p-90 in their Jr. so it may not be easy, + that's another transaction.
    I haven's shipped in years, some stores use to sell boxes cheep or give them away, but many wont do that now, as they want to buy your used gear, some type of shop that doesn't do much or anything with used may be your best bet, try Music and Arts if there is one near by. Bubble wrap can be had from office supply places or ask around at places that have stuff shipped in, many places would be glad to be rid of it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Squier for a Gibson?
    What's the hesitation?
    You come out 10 miles ahead.
    If you don't really want a Jr then sell it and get what you want.

4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, as long as the Jr is in decent shape it's kind of a no brainer.

jenos likes this.
  5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I would be careful of the other guitar. I guess my comprehension is lacking, but it sounds like this guy wants you to ship the Squier and he ships you the Jr? That sounds like textbook scam. You send him the Squier to some drop spot and he ships you a box of saw dust from a fly by night shipping service.

Be careful. If I were holding a Gibson I wouldn't trade it for a Squier Jaguar. They're not that hard to find.

Edit: Check your locality for shipping service. The one I use is less than 5 minutes from my home and she packages, boxes, and ships it for one price. Last one I sold went to Southern Florida from East Providence and the total bill was less than 70 bucks UPS. Worth every penny and no claims or complaints so far.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    JayFreddy likes this.
  6. Rostlund98

Rostlund98 Tele-Meister

I may have undersold the Jag a bit. It's a nitro refinish, it has some upgraded Japanese hardware, and it's been set up by a competent tech. Also for the trade we would each be buying the other's guitar through Reverb, so I'm not worried about getting scammed. Squier for a Gibson still sounds like a good deal though as most of you have pointed out.

8barlouie likes this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Don't do it without photos.

I didn't even know they made a Gibson LP Jr. with a humbucker, I thought it was just Epiphone.

8barlouie likes this.
  8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

How do you do the swap?

Does he click your buy it now and you click his buy it now? I guess that would insure the safety of both of you.

How is that gonna work??

Your guitar sells for $399 brand new and there's no way that it would hold used value like a domestic guitar. His guitar was $750 new (and again; it's going to hold a higher percentage of value being domestic.)

If your guitar is worth 55% of list that's $220. If his guitar is worth 65% of list that's $488.

You don't know how much cash has in his guitar (and visa versa). Maybe he bought it at a low price and he really wants a Jag. I don't know; just be careful on how you manage the exchange.

You're gaining $250 in value and you'll have a more desirable guitar should you ever sell to buy that hollow body. It's a good move.

I love wrap around tail pieces. I like to play Jr's and Melody Makers. Guitar Center had a real Gibson Junior with a humbucker and the volume pot was a push/pull coil switch to go from humbucker to single coil. They had that model for about three years. It came with a gig bag for about $750. Lots of bursts and lots of black ones. It's a legit thing.

9. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I'd do it in a heartbeat if you aren't in love with the Jag. I'm not sure how the logistics of the deal would work. Perhaps contact Reverb and see if they have some sort of protocol for swapping. Play the Jr and see if you like it. If not, you'll get more out of it than your Jag.

10. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I would do that swap. Stores that carry anything big, will have boxes. Music stores, Places that sell flat screens, furniture stores. You may have to cut the box down some. Newspaper makes good padding. You might want something to pack the guitar in, might even pick up a cheap case, padded or even hardshell at a pawn shop. I have even had guitars shipped to me in the case only with no problems. Just a shipping label stuck to them.

11. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

be wary of unseen guitars. Whats your recourse if the neck has been cracked? Also, the juniors gibson did with the humbuckers have a lower resale value than the traditional p90 equipped guitars. Ive seen a few humbucker juniors locally on craigslist for months if not a year or more.

12. Rostlund98

Rostlund98 Tele-Meister

I might call a local guitar store to grab a box and I've already requested pictures so I'll see if there's any damage or excessive wear. Also the plan is to buy each others guitars for cheap so we have money transferring hands as the site suggests. That way I'll be protected if anything goes wrong.

13. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

If you're asking... DON'T DO IT! You are already apathetic about the deal in the first place and aren't really wanting a Jr.

Plus the money you spend on shipping will really cut into any extra profit from the resale of the Jr to the point it's probably not worth doing.

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

If you go into a mom & pop guitar shop and tell them that you have to ship a guitar far far away and offer to pay $5 for a guitar box they'll smile upon you and give you one for free.

It costs a lot to bale your corrugated and have it hauled to a recycling center or landfill. I generally support guitar center stores but I get aggravated that they have a policy not to give away boxes. They must bale 2 tons of corrugated per week at each store. Board is heavy.

I work at a corrugated and packaging business and the guys in design make guitar boxes for me per request on our sample cutting table. I used to work for a packaging distributor that sold mainly plastics and back then I became pretty good at asking for guitar boxes. I've offered $5 to countless shop owners to be nice and respectful and no one has ever taken my money.

Ask at a mom & pop shop; they're always nice about it.

15. Rostlund98

Rostlund98 Tele-Meister

I've made some calls and it'll be about $35 to ship my Jag, and probably $25 to reship the Junior once I got it (less cost because I wouldn't have to buy a box again). So I'd only have to sell the Gibson for $60 more than my Squier just to break even. Seems hard to pass up...

16. Rostlund98

Rostlund98 Tele-Meister

I actually just called and asked the nearest small shop near me. They said $10 for a box which is less than I can find anywhere else. Plus they're small so I don't mind giving 'em the money.

17. Rostlund98

Rostlund98 Tele-Meister

An update: I'm going through with the swap and there's no risk for me. I'm being sent the junior and when I get it I'm going to send the jaguar. That way if there's anything fishy I just send it back. But seeing as the guy agreed to that deal I can't imagine I'll have any problems or he wouldn't waste the money shipping.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.