Guitar stringing technique

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Coxon2323, Nov 9, 2019 at 8:08 AM.

1. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 TDPRI Member

Hello, I recently learned how to re-string guitar and I was wondering if the way I do it is a perfectly good way.

I lock the string like this..

[​IMG]

Anyone else have success with this method or is it wrong?

57fenderstrat likes this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge TDPRI Member

I just saw that too...and haven't been doing it that way (duoh!). Also saw something that recommended bending the bridge end of the string a bit to ensure the strings hold even/flat tension against the bridge on an acoustic.

3. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

Interesting , there are many ways that people do it and everyone will say theirs is the best so I think it’s one of those things that if it works it works. I saw Danny Gatton say he tries to get many winds as possible and fill the peg but I have always tried to have 2-3 winds around, maybe 4 on the higher strings. I say if when you string the guitar it returns to pitch when bending and works fine for you when playing than there is no problem

stormsedge and Fretting out like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

In the 15 or so years I’ve been playing I’ve never done anything special with my strings and never had any problems with staying in tune
    And my favorite kind of tuners are vintage style where the string goes in into the center of the post and just wraps around

So I’ve always just straight wrapped around the post, even on non safe-t post tuners like schallers

It probably doesn’t hurt to string it so they “lock” but I don’t think it’s necessary

It all comes down to what works best for the individual

VWAmTele and Chiogtr4x like this.
  5. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 TDPRI Member

yes, the method I have learned seems to work well. I re-strung my Les Paul last night and it seems to be staying in tune fine. So the method seems a good one apart from a bloody finger from stabbing myself with the end of a string!

stratoman1 likes this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I know Joe Walsh seems to swear by tying his strings like that and even does a tutorial for gibson on YouTube about how he sets his Les pauls up

I’m just too uncoordinated to have to do that for six strings

7. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 TDPRI Member

So people who use this method, you experience no tuning issues with this?

8. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister

String security at the tuner may not be the most likely cause of tuning problems. It's often a nut issue.

bgmacaw likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I've been doing the same on my guitars since the '70's- on posts that are on acoustic or Gibson style, I turn tuner so hole is parallel to neck, insert string all the way in, then pull out 2" of string, then just wind string ( using constant tension, pulling string). Tune string to pitch/stretch/retune. No fuss, no muss no slip.

With Vintage Fender tuners, I measure ( sight) each string length to about 2" going past its respective post, cut string, insert end into hole, make sharp bend downwards, and then ( while under tension) wind.
    I'm not an insane string bender, but I can see merit of the locking string method if I were. But no issue with how I've been doing it.

Fretting out likes this.
  10. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I did use this method consistently on my acoustic for years with no issues. These days, I “cheat” and put locking tuners on everything that isn’t vintage just for the ease/speed of string changes/replacements. The only thoughtful thing I do anymore when stringing my guitars is an extra wrap on the low strings for dropped tunings.

11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Me, too, and it works just fine. :)

12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I tried that method once and didn't notice any benefit, so I never did It again. Simply pushing the string through the hole, bending, and wrapping works just as well.

It did make the strings more difficult to remove, though.

Raimonds likes this.
  13. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

After watching my Taylor Tech stringing up some guitars, I started using his method, which I will use from now on, forever.

After securing the string end- either through the back, or with the pins on the bridge of your acoustics, simply cut the string an inch and a half past the post you are stringing. On my Taylors, that distance is the next post plus a half again.

Stick the end of the string through the post til you have a 1/4 inch through the other side, and tighten. You get three perfect wraps, no overlap, and a nice, clean three-wrap stringing.

~syf

SamIV and Grant Austin like this.
  14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The ONLY way to get rid of tuning problems is to have a perfectly cut nut.

Than any kind of stringing technique will work unless you overlap windings.

15. Rockinvet

Rockinvet TDPRI Member

I use that method all the time. I was taught by a music store owner when I was just, well let’s say young. It works great only takes a second longer to implement and provides just an extra bit of security against slippage. The truck is to have enough slack before you bend or you end up trashing a perfectly good string. I always try to allow for 2 or 3 wraps depending on the gauge.

JL_LI likes this.
  16. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Anything that keeps the G on a LP in tune has just got to be good! If you weren’t a trusted and respected poster on this forum I’d doubt you!

17. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 TDPRI Member

I didn't measure the slack before I used this method, seems to fine on the 4 acoustics I have re-strung.

18. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 TDPRI Member

Also, I just put the string through the hole, lock it as shown, holding the string tight and there you have it.

19. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I was at a Martin Guitars event last weekend at Music Zoo. Martin was restringing any and all acoustic guitars brought in. The technique you show is exactly the way the techs at the event were doing it. Pull the string through the hole in the post, lap it over the anchored part of the string. From a distance, it looks like the tech is tying a knot. The technique works best when an electric winder is used. The trick is to get the length of string on the anchored end right. I use three fingers held together close to the post. Don't cut the string until you're sure it's not slipping. Too bad the technique doesn't work with Fender slotted posts but I still use three fingers as a guide for wound strings.

20. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 TDPRI Member

I suppose when you use this method of locking the string you don't need windings around the peg so you don't need to measure the slack on the string.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.