Guitar store riff?

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
OP's friend wants to sell a guitar to teenagers. Most of these posts are songs teenagers have never heard or at least wouldn't find relevant.
I think we need the younger crowd for this. I'm unfortunately unable to be of much help.

El Famoso

Tele-Meister
OP's friend wants to sell a guitar to teenagers. Most of these posts are songs teenagers have never heard or at least wouldn't find relevant.
I think we need the younger crowd for this. I'm unfortunately unable to be of much help.
Well the store is located in New Mexico which is reliably about 20 years behind the rest of the country in most things.

Maybe some grunge? 😁

runstendt

Tele-Meister
I usually play "I Can't Explain" by the Who. It's a simple riff and can be played at multiple points on the neck, so I can check intonation and feel in multiple places. Plus, it's really fun to play.

E DD A EE (and repeat)

Buell

Tele-Meister
All of the suggestions I've seen so far are probably too old for a younger guitar player to be interested in. I think Tool 7empest would be a good one that's a bit more "current". Maybe Foo Fighters Rope would be another.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have a buddy who works in a little mom and pop type guitar store. He’s a casual player, mostly rhythm and melody. Called me the other day saying he needed a good riff to play to show off the guitars in the store. Nothing too fancy but something that sounds cool.

I was drawing a blank when he asked, but told him I’d think about it. So, folks, any suggestions? If you were a teenager looking to buy your first guitar, what would catch your ear for the salesman to play. Short and sweet, buddy isn’t a shredder.

Bonus points for instructional video. He’s in another state and it would help to have a link to send him.

Thanks.
Green River, CCR. Great riff.

El Famoso

Tele-Meister
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Passed along the link to this thread to my buddy. Appreciate the help I always get here - y’all rock.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
No Stairway to Heaven?
F R E E B I R D! 🤣

I dont know.. I usually play Lenny or something like that trying out a guitar because it uses a lot of the fretboard with chords etc.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
Gov't Mule: Beautifully Broken
Black Country Communion: Song of Yesterday
Barkmarket: Visible Cow

Those are easy riffs which sound like more, than they are :)

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Just the intro
Isley Brothers- Who's That Lady?
Most any Credence Clearwater Revival
Doobie Brothers - Listen To the Music

Then, hand the guitar off as quick as possible.