Guitar Store Employee Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by joshphase90wah, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Discounts. Screw customers who are going to needle me over every damned last penny. I worked in a shop for 2 years (thankfully much of the time other people handled customers) but we struggled to make ends meet and people would come in day after day trying to squeeze a buck off this cable or complaining that our strings weren't as cheap as amazons. The truth is that we gave discounts, we gave lots of them. We sold many guitars at almost the price we purchased them at. We stayed alive with rentals, repairs, sales, installations, and any other unexplored corner we could make a buck at. We weren't paid super well, but we managed to live (28kish a year).

As for giving discounts... yeah we did give them. But to older guys without much cash who just broke his amp. The kid who saved up for a les paul all summer and broke the headstock... ("yeah no problem buddy, that's an easy repair... won't cost much at all".) Friends who were trying to be serious musicians and lacked the finances that went along with that. But those doctors and professionals who pulled up in BMWs and complained about an extra dollar, or really thought that the AC4 should be less... I'm going to play nice, but with the intent of getting every damned dollar I can from you.

2. 6Shotsdown

6Shotsdown Tele-Meister

That clip with Mila Kunis is at the Canoga Park, CA store that I used to work at!!!

3. oldspot

oldspot Tele-Meister

So that's where I have been going wrong - I never fail to learn from this forum! Right, now I know what to do. I must park my beaten up old Toyota right outside the store instead of hiding it in a car park miles away, and rather than my usual everyday attire of blue Levis, tan boots, Vyella shirt and tweed jacket, I shall find me some torn jeans (black) a tatty old Led Zep T-shirt, cheap imitation leather biker jacket and some enormous, hideous skater trainers. That way I might look like a proper cheap muso, rather than some fat-walleted geezer who's wandered into the wrong shop, or who might be looking for a present for his offspring.

4. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

Top it off with a bandage on your nose.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

That happened to me and I was really intimidated and felt like I didn't belong in the store. I was 17 and scared of learning the instrument. That didn't help.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Great point! Because, as we all know, the people who can afford to pay 50k for a car are surely hurting for cash at such a rate that saving a couple of dollars on a cable is really going to dig them out of that financial hole, right? :rolleyes:

7. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I stumbled upon a guitar shop while I was pumping gas when on vacation a couple of weeks ago. This place only had super-nice stuff. USA Fenders, Gibsons, PRS, and vintage stuff.

It was a small place, and I spent about 20 minutes in there looking around (all the guitars were hanging behind the counter) and no one ever said one word to me. Not “Hey, howzit going?” not “Are in town visiting?” not even “Don’t touch anything!”
    The store even had a couple of letters proudly displayed near the register from dissatisfied customers (or potential customers) .

Oh, and while I’m at it—my local shop kind of ticked me off when I was shopping for an acoustic. They recently moved all their low-mid price acoustics into an acoustic room where they are easily accessible and they let you try different ones if you ask nicely. I was going back and forth between 2 or 3 different guitars (Taylors and Martins) trying each to see which I liked best.

Every few minutes the sales lady would come and ask “So, what do you think?” and I’d reply “I like them all, but I think I’m starting to narrow it down.”

When I finally got done, I told her I was going to think it over a bit and check with my accountant (wife) to see if I could work it out. She said, “Let me know when you finally decide because I’ve spent a lot of MY time helping you.”

She did help me to decide—I decided to buy from somewhere else.

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

There was a local shop that was legendary for treating people like dirt. I could understand why, from their POV. They were located close to a college and students would think it was cool to kill their breaks in there, trying instruments they wouldn't buy.

However, I went in there to actually try some of their stuff that I intended to perhaps buy. I wasn't sure since I hadn't ever played any of these guitars before. The owner greeted me with a snarl and a bit of an attitude. It took a bit of convincing but he finally let me play something. I was respectful of the gear and handed him back the guitar in the same condition it was when it was handed to me. He had gotten impatient after I had played with it for about 3 min.

That's when I decided I had had enough and left. They went bankrupt 2 years later.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

LOL, slick move Mila. ;)

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Stuff like this seems to go on all over. Even in the grocery store and almost every time while I'm standing there with only four items to check out. If it isn't about trying to pass off expired coupons it's discussions about the recipe the ingredients are being purchased are for and their suitability or relative freshness.

Do some people assume that all grocery checkers used to work as chefs in a five star restaurant, majored in home economics, or are ardent followers of Martha Stewart? I see them trying to be nice and act interested but it really puts them on the spot as their line lengthens.

I usually kill the delay by taking an inventory of the chewing gum. :rolleyes:

11. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps I should've noted that this store was in a fairly small town. Most of the people coming through the door were people we knew.

As for being able to play with the gear go for it. But please take off you jacket (with zipper) and modern-art-spiked belt buckle.

As for interacting with people who are browsing... it's lose/lose. Half of them expect you to watch them play and get offended that you have work to do for paying customers, and the other half ask you to stop pressuring them if you check in. Of course you figure out who is who over time. And although we're all for people being able to play the instruments (even the nice ones without asking) I can't tell you how many wonderful instruments we had to mark as 'used' because someone windmilled on an acoustic...

12. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Mila Kunis...yes!

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

What I really hate in a guitar store! Is when a guy across the way starts playing along with me, and is so good he actually gets me back in time, and plays in a manner that forces me to actually pay attention and we start to sound good together, I hate that!

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got no complaints about my local independent, other than the fact that everybody there knows my first AND last name (that happens when you fill out as many invoices as they have for me over the years).

But Guitar Center... I guess the thing that has the greatest potential for irritating me is the young employees who talk to me as if I'd never seen a guitar before, and try to "educate" me on why I need the extra stuff they're trying to sell me. That usually doesn't end in the way that they would like it to.

15. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

It's different out here in the boonies. I have to drive an hour to get to the nearest Guitarcenter. So I don't. Then when I'm in an urban area where they have 'em... I still don't.

I talked to a guy last night who runs a shop semi- locally. He has to compete to GC on price while FMIC won't give him the time of day 'cuz he can possibly move as much merch as GC in his little shop in his little town. So he does what mom 'n' pop shops have always done... he gives lessons. He gives lessons at Berklee. As they say, "Don't quit your day job!"

While it's possible Joe Perry might stop by because it's on the way to Steve Tyler's summer place not to mention Joe's own cottage out in the sticks... he probably won't.

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Betcha at least HE pays his bills to FMIC on time, though... ;)

17. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Musical instrument stores will eventually go like the Dodo there is a local musical instrument store about 5 minutes away from me i have bought and part ex many guitars in there i remember when it 1st opened in the mid 80's the place was thriving for many years had about 5 staff members working there, i recently went in there for some emergency strings all the staff are gone just the owner left the place practically has tumble weeds blowing across the floor when i payed for my strings i realized why the place was like the Mary Celeste i could of bought 2 packs online for the same price without even having to go out !!
    i bought my very 1st guitar in this place with money i had worked for pretty sad to see such decline

18. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I tend to get a lot of attention in guitar stores; I am middle aged and usually in business casual attire. The sales staff probably give the "Whale on the floor!" motion, and I get questions answered, and chat about gear.

I don't mind chatting with sales people; I can be patient and listen to the sales speeches. I play an electric without plugging it in for a while, then I will only play low volume until I feel I'm ready to pull the trigger, then I will ask where I can turn it up. There are probably no bad stories about me from music store employees.

I have totally thrown off other sales people - usually waterproofing and home improvement types - by not "buying in to the sale". They are trying to collect yes', I won't react, it throws them off. I've had a few storm out on me.

Just a matter of picking your battles. Buying toys should be fun; buying home improvement is a chore. Just a different approach.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.