Guitar Store Employee Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by joshphase90wah, Dec 10, 2014.

1. joshphase90wah

joshphase90wah Tele-Meister

Mine is when people go to a shop turn up the distortion and practice their sweep picking.

2. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

1: People who play better than me
    2: People who play worse than me
    3: People who play guitar.

Note: limited experience, time working was cut short by inability to handle those 3 factors.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You're an employee?

4. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

Guitar store employees are my pet peeve.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ah, are we putting up a "when the tables are turned" thread here?

To be honest I'd go postal if I worked in a GC where all day, every day, all we got was a ton of shredders who wanted to play BC Rich's and Schecter's through Hellwin amps. I'd volunteer for the acoustic room and hide out as deeply in the bowels of that place as I could.

Whenever I run to my local GC for some strings or a patch cable of some other simple need I'm treated very well by every one of the smiling faces at the checkout. I figure they're all stoned to the gills so they can remain pleasantly immune to the audio carnage going on all around them.

6. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

I had a Saturday job in a shop when I was still at school. Not a guitar shop.

Never again.

7. joshphase90wah

@BigDaddyLH amongst other things I have sold a guitar or two in my time.

'Would you like cables with that'

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You!

9. joshphase90wah

I think I have probably done that ;)

10. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

11. joshphase90wah

Something guitar store employees need to not do. Shred in front of a kid who is getting their first guitar and then hand the guitar to them knowing they have intimidated someone :(

12. koosh

koosh Tele-Meister

every time i go to a music store it reeks of 'show-off'

13. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

This used to be common on 48th Street in the 80s-early 2000s, and the thought was the guys were hoping to show their stuff to some one of renown, and be relieved of their sales job for that of "Rock Star".

After all, it worked for Jack Sonni, so why not:D

Of course, the guys at Rudy's never played a guitar for me to show me how good it sounded.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

There was a music store in Larimie, WY where one of the sales guys kept a Stratocaster straped over his shoulder everytime I went in there. He'd be practicing the whole time he wasn't selling something. He was a real good guitarist and actually was able to work with the guitar on. Just a little weird though.

15. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

impolite people
    I can deal with rude, show off, insecure, crazy, dirt poor, unconscious or sick people . But I can't stand impolite people (if I can't run away and hide away from them to the backstore)

*i've worked retail for the summer (didn't have a clue about the products I was selling : no training on the job !)

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I sold guitars for three years.

I disliked the 90 minute guitar trial guys. One guitar, one amp, 90+ minutes of the same song or same lick (and loud enough that you can't talk to the other customers). Oddly enough it was usually guys in there 40's. Younger kids would tire out or lose interest but middle aged guys would play the first 8 measures of one song over and over at a volume level that would rattle all the snare drums in the next department.

Not sure what it is that they learned about an amp at the 50 minute mark that they couldnt hear at the 25 minute mark.

My boss used to call it "auditioning". "Bob Smith is here, he'll be auditioning for at least 2 hours".

17. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

I never thought of this, but this is a jerk thing to do.

What irritates me is when I'm one of three people in the store and I stand there looking to flag someone down and employees are walking by without even a glance in my direction. I understand if the store is slammed, but when the employees outnumber the customers in the store the least they can do is ask if I need help. I'm at the point to where I don't bother even asking anymore. I only ask if I need someone to get a ladder and get me something out of my reach.

18. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The non-buyer that just wants to talk about gear that he previously had- while I am in line waiting to make my purchase. This happened to me last week -the store employee was also annoyed- obviously this guy had been there before and just liked to talk.

19. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Yes,a deeply unpleasant thing to do,plus it demonstrates not only a poor attitude to people in general,but a great example of how not to do the job of a salesman.

20. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Yup. Always have been.

First of all, they're usually musicians of the wannabe rockstar variety. I've found that many people choose this path not so much because they love music, but because they're enamored of the lifestyle. They're doing you a favor by waiting on you. They're stars, doncha ya know?

Also, I've found that guitar stores are one of the last places (in California, anyway) where you'll find workers who literally reek of cigarette smoke.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.