guitar stool

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by birddog01, Feb 10, 2018.

1. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

Came across this as an ad on this site. Opinons, anybody got one? if so a review?
    [​IMG]

Steve Holt likes this.
  2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

No clue but it looks pretty cool. Got a link?

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Never saw it before opening this thread. To me, it looks like one of those donut/tailbone cushions on a stand.

The base looks like something that works for me, though...

My new Guitar stool, 11-10-15.jpg Guitar stool, 11-10-15.jpg

I bought it at a local home goods store (At Home) for $100. I wanted something that was adjustable in height, and swiveled, but also provided lumbar support. I've had it for a couple of years or more, and gig with it a lot.

dented likes this.
  4. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

For me, and my wife agrees, the position of the (foot) heel rest is very important.
    That is the most important feature, and needs to feel right.

I think it looks cool, try it out in person if possible.

5. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bought a couple f on an antique mall almost like the op. They are old Beauty parlor chairs.

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I just use a drummers throne and phone book for foot rest

xafinity likes this.
  7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I haven’t tried one, so take this as a fully uninformed opinion...

I’d prefer something with back support and lower to the ground. Also, lime green is quite a bold colour choice. Is this for home or performing?

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a $100 drum throne. it works great.

Ebidis likes this.
  9. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Same here. A Drum throne is perfect for me.

11. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

I use a 5 gallon bucket right now. I will be picking something up at some point. Likely the Fender stool you always see at MF.

This is for guitar only. I am a bass player and when I practice I do it standing up because that's how I perform.

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

At home, I use my old office chair since the arms and back broke off on it.

For playing outside, I use a $5 metal stool I bought at a discount store along with a Mississippi drum machine to prop my foot on.

14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

We have a few of those for breakfast bar type seating. I’ve honestly never thought about using them for guitar playing, though I suppose they’d work. I went with a few of the 24” stools others have mentioned here.

15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I can spend some time on a seat, between rehearsal and recording. We've got the $1000-$3000 Herman Miller seats at the studio where I work. I got a SoundSeat for my home studio. Before I got the Soundseat, the limiting factors in practice were back and butt pain - one or the other always ended the session. With the Soundseat, they just aren't an issue. Fifteen years since I got it the seat still looks brand new, including the leather. Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but the thing is probably the best musical accessory I've owned. Yes, they are expensive, but get someone to give you one for Christmas. They are built to order by a family in North Carolina. The founder was a drummer who needed a better performance seat when his hips went out. He died suddenly a couple of years ago and now his widow runs the operation.

Hints:
    Measure your lower leg and get the gas lift that allows you to sit with your feet flat on the ground. For me, that meant the shorter lift. My seating position has my knees just a tiny bit higher than my hips so guitars don't try to slip.
    The mid-back is just the right support for my back.
    If you want a multi-purpose seat for office use as well, order the seat with the removable arms.
    The knock-down version is great for performance.

My seat has the mid-back, the short gas lift,the foot ring, the fold-out foot support for classical playing, and glides.
    My wife got one for use in her craft room that has casters, removable arms, and mid-back, and loves it.

Bob

16. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Mine (see comment #3 above for pics) is strictly for performance; I never use it at home. In fact, it always stays in the back of my SUV. I used to perform standing up, but as I've gotten older--and after quadruple bypass surgery--I can't stand that long. I used to use just a wooden bar stool, but that was terribly hard on the old tail bone. The seat on mine is faux leather, but it's both supportive and comfortable for long periods of time.

Even more problematic, the drummer's throne and wooden or padded bar stools mentioned above offer no lumbar support. My stool does. And it's also adjustable in height, and swivels. Some venues I play regularly have chairs without arms available that are reasonably comfortable and supportive, and I just use what they have available. For the others, I have this I can load in if need be.

The SoundSeat that Bob mentioned looks great. It is more than three times what I paid for mine, but $300+ isn't outrageous if it helps you to perform a gig without feeling like you need to spend the next day after in traction.

18. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

do you want to sit on that all night? heres mine...[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  19. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I owned an expensive SoundSeat ($300+) that I sold recently, my butt kept on sliding off the seat bottom.

For on stage use I have an On-Stage Guitar Stool. Works great except I had to get a welding shop to lower the footrest about 5 inches. I've done three hours gigs on this thing, it's excellent. $70-$80 (less w/ coupon) plus $10 at the welding shop.

[​IMG]

For Home studio use I bought one of these from Amazon, I love it. $49. Way better than the Soundseat for me. At it's lowest works great for recording guitar. There's a model w/ a footrest but for my use, mostly home studio this is perfect. I found great reviews by tattoo artists and beauticians, people who sit for hours at work and they were spot on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019QF7JI/?tag=tdpri-20

[​IMG]

Above stool w/ footrest, I haven't tried one, can't vouch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072Y2S76T/?tag=tdpri-20

20. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

"guitar stool"

I imagine that many of my musical efforts could be characterized as guitar stool.

sonicsmitty and PBO Blues like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.