guitar stands or wall hanging?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by oceanblue, Sep 15, 2019.

Do you prefer your guitars hung on walls or on guitar stands?

1. Wall hangers

2. Floor Stands

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Depending on what type and degree anal you are may depend how you behave with this subject. I have 7 wall hanger;three of them are in my office. If a guitar is in its case in my home, it probably is for sale. I just had a neck reset on my Martin, that I keep in a case. But my Petrified Gibson LG-1 1965. It is out and weather seems to have no affect on the guitar.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I keep 2 in stands for ready usage and the rest remain in the case until needed. I don't hang anything simply because what goes up must come down....a cased guitar on the floor has nowhere to fall.

NewKid and gridlock like this.
  3. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

The ones I'm using are on stands the ones I ain't are tuned down to Eb and in the case. IMHO the safest place is the case.

NewKid and gridlock like this.
  4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like long guitars so I hang them...

5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I never liked the idea of a guitar hanging on the wall by just the neck for long periods of time. Also not a fan of leaving a guitar on a small stand that could easily tip and fall or have the rubber/foam neck holder eventually bleed into the guitar neck and ruin its finish.

I store my guitars on a rack like this or in the case.

F42BAAAB-B06E-43F2-B92E-5AC34600D36D.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  6. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I keep my guitar standing in closet, i dont known why its popular in US to hang them on the wall. Here in Europe we have unstable temperature, unexpected rains and freeze in summer or sunny winter. Weather can affect wood, also i would be afraid that guitar would fall from wall, scary

radiocaster and gridlock like this.
  7. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

In the case or bag. It's a musical instrument, which should be cared for.

SheldonP and Stringbanger like this.
  8. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

I have found that what goes in a case stays in a case.......and doesn't get played. Well, that, and I forget I even have them if I put them away. :( IMG_1144.jpg

9. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

My preference is wall hangers for saving space but for the time being I have a few stands. I also have hardcases but only used for transport but they take up as much much floor space as the guitars.

I wouldnt store them in a case at home because Ill inevitably end up with only one out of its case where it will stay. The others would be neglected, so they all need to be easily accessible.

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

15 on hangers and a couple on stands near amps in the little studio room.

Never had an issue with weather effects or found tuning changing.

Amps, synths and piano fill the floor.

11. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Most stay cased. None on walls. That would make me paranoid as hell.

A few on stands as desired or necessary. I have a few single stands in the house, and a 7-stand outside in the garage rehearsal space (obviously, in garage, guitars only stay there until practice is done, then come back into the house proper).

[​IMG]

Gene O. likes this.
  12. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

Such is my practice. Though floor stands are useful when alternating between instruments and on stage.

I prefer the König Meyer type.

13. teletail

teletail TDPRI Member

One floor stand for my current guitar, all others in cases.

Gene O. likes this.
  14. Pechorin

Pechorin TDPRI Member

In my office at home I've one on a stand within easy reach, with the others in a rack inside an alcove.

15. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

At home it's wall hangers, all Hercules. They're safer - if something comes along that's gonna knock the guitars off the wall, I think we have bigger problems than guitars coming off the wall. But we spend a few months in a rental condo down south each winter and I'm not mounting stuff on their walls. Plus, I only take 2-3 guitars along when we head down there, so it's floor stands when we're there. And it's just my wife and I and our adult kids when they visit. I guess if grandkids start running around, I might have to stick them in cases at that point...

-Ray

16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I voted "Wall hangers," but a more accurate answer on my part would be "Both." But that's because I keep running out of wall hangers! :oops::twisted: I have 14 guitars now, and 10 wall hangers in the living room.

The wall hangers actually started out as my wife's idea. She didn't like guitar stands in the living room, and yet I was always bring 2-3 into the living room.
    My Logan Custom Tele family, with Vox Pathfinder 15Rs.jpg

It started with three wall hangers, where I hung my three (at the time) teles.
    Counting Teles on the wall....jpg

But as my collection grew, I would rotate between which ones were hanging in the living room, and which one(s) would be on a stand in my office/library/music room/man cave. So when the collection grew to ten guitars, she added five hangers on the wall opposite to the one in the pic above, and added two more hangers on either side of those three. Because those two hangers had to be placed on the other side of each window, I haven't been able to get a shot of the five on that wall without it being a panoramic/too large to load to TDPRI.

But here is the opposite wall of guitars. And which ones hang there has changed just in the last year or so. Since all of my teles are Logan Custom guitars, and now I have 5 Logan teles and a tele style Logan Custom acoustic/electric and a Logan Custom Challenger (Bob's design), at various times (depending on which one(s) I might have with me in my man cave), that wall might be my Logan 'lectrics (with the Challenger in the middle)...
    05-29-2019 - Logan 'lectrics.jpg

...or my Logan Custom teles and a/e...
    06-04-2018 - My Logan Custom Family Portrait - 2.jpg

...or my five Logan Custom teles...
    06-29-2019 - My Logan Custom Teles - 2a.jpg

And the opposite wall now holds acoustics, and since I have more of those than can go on the wall, again it varies what's hanging there. It was my one Hohner acoustic and both Breedloves...
    Breedlove T-shirt, 2.jpg

Then, when I acquired another Hohner, it was my dreadnoughts, Hohners and Breedlove. (I don't have a current pic of all three dreads together on that wall, but the Breedlove dread is just to the right of these two)...
    04-05-2019 - Hohner G-940 & Hohner HG-905.jpeg

And again, I still haven't shown the two guitars on either side of the windows on that wall. One is a Wechter Nashville-tuned parlor, the other is a Gretsch Jim Dandy, and the newest addition can't hang on the wall hangers I have; it's a 3-string Cigar Box Guitar.

So all of this to say that I prefer wall hangers, but I still use some stands, either because I don't have enough wall hangers, or else too many guitars.

And I know it can't be that last thing! :twisted:

17. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

These days my instruments generally stay in the cases unless I'm playing them. IME, dust and dirt get into every crack, crevice and potentiometer when they're left out for weeks or months at a time. At one point in time I had wall hangers all over my music room, but got tired of cleaning guitars I wasn't playing constantly.

If I have a recording project going I might have 5 or 6 out on stands for a day or two, but they go straight back to the cases when I'm done. My wall hangers all went into the shop for project guitars and such.

Gene O. likes this.
  18. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Most of my guitars are self-made and don't have cases or bags. I started hanging them on the wall. Now I'm thinking of a covered rack for them because I'm tired of having to clean all the dust off before I can enjoy playing them.

20. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

Neither.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Frodebro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.