guitar stands or wall hanging?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by oceanblue, Sep 15, 2019.

Do you prefer your guitars hung on walls or on guitar stands?

1. Wall hangers

2. Floor Stands

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

So just wondering, do most you prefer to have your guitars on wall hangers, of any sort, vs on standard floor stands? And why?

2. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Most on the wall, a few on stands. Need the floor space for other stuff that can’t be hung on the walls...like pianos and amps.

strat56, Tenderfoot, Frodebro and 2 others like this.
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Mine are on the wall, but I do not know for how much longer. I suspect, but cannot prove, that it is not helping them. My initial plan is to get a floor rack to replace the wall hooks. My guitars most always come out of the case in tune, and rarely in tune when coming off of the wall hook.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wall hangers!
    I like my guitars readily available, and in plain sight.

teleman1, Obsessed, stnmtthw and 2 others like this.
  5. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I prefer to keep mine in a case. But I don't have a real music room, so I guess that's why I keep them locked up.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

A luthier I went to swore that guitars should always be kept in a case and only taken out to be played. But it seems most guitar players leave theirs out on display. So I’ve never been sure what the common wisdom is. I tend to leave 1 or 2 out, and the others packed away.

7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

I do not think it is a sign the wall hangers do them no good: it has rather to do with the fact that keeping the guitars into their case expose them to less moisture and temperature changes.
    The only thing I could see is if the guitars are out and exposed to direct sunlight (color fading) or to a smokey room (finish yellowing).

8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I see no need to hang them on the wall as they become dust collectors. They all have a case or at the very least a gig bag.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Mine are mostly scattered around the house, some on stands, some just lying on a benchtop, on a chair etc. The set necks and acoustics get put in cases when not in use other than a couple on stands that get played often.

10. OldDave

OldDave TDPRI Member

I think it's more a matter of individual logistics. If I had a perfect world for space and safety they would be in cases, next would be stands, and lastly wall hangers. I went with wall hangers as I don't have a bunch of room, and 2 dogs running around. But it is always conditioned and there is a room air cleaner to help with the dust.

IMG_20190730_200449.jpg

DaphneBlue, Macrogats, DavidP and 7 others like this.
  11. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Cool hangers too!

OldDave likes this.
  12. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I keep six on a wall; most of the others are stashed away in cases.

Some day, I might pick up a single guitar stand (or find one of my old ones), as I’d like to keep one closer to where I usually play. It’s only about ten feet from where they hang, but it would be more convenient to just reach over and grab one.

My wife gave me a five-guitar floor stand/rack a few years ago, but it takes up a big chunk of floor space and doesn’t really work in the room.

13. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

No room for floor stands, everything goes on the wall

14. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

One floor stand by my amp for what I’m currently playing with. The rest are on the wall. I like mine to be accessible. Plus they liven up the decor. Not all cases are even. If you keep them in a case, make sure it’s a case with full length neck support and not just a thin cradle in the middle.

15. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

My house is small, my guitars are many. There’s just not room for floor stands.

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gosh, I don't have that much clear wall space! And the dust... no way.

I use cases for storage, stood on end, lined up against two walls. Most live there. Then there's the 4-5 I'm playing a lot this week, and they live on floor stands. Hercules so they don't eat my guitars, but not the kind with the auto-gripper thing. Can't stand that.

I play seated, in front of a workstation, more or less, with a pedal board off to one side. With floor stands, there's one guitar *always* right to hand, and I can quickly place a couple more stands near enough to grab without much effort, while seated. I have some disability involving pain in the torso, among other things. Leaning, bending, even a small amount, hurts quite a bit, so I try to arrange my life to avoid that.

We have a large dog (lab/sheperd mix?), 85 lbs, big whumpy tail that thumps against the walls and furniture when he's happy - which is always. And he sheds. The first thing I taught him was to never come in the music room. He's a quick learner, but he needs to 'be near me'. So, his pillow is on the floor just outside the open door. Where he can keep an eye on me. :)

Macrogats likes this.
  17. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Wall hung so I can have more floor space! Drove me nuts when I had to vacuum clean when each guitar were on stands!

Screwed boards on studs, then bought tool hangers for less than a dollar on sale at Home Depot, and voila!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Macrogats and oceanblue like this.
  18. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I have 2 on stands, 3 in cases, and one is hanging by its strap(I use strap locks) near my basement stairs with a jacket draped over the neck and most of the body to keep dust off. I play that one frequently, due to ease of access.

I've previously used the solid metal ladder hooks shaped like guitar holders, put directly into a stud. Solid, but lotsa dust if not played often. Current living room setup leaves nowhere safe to do this due to vents and places the 3 year old can reach.

I am slightly nervous about temperature changes for the one hanging from its strap.
    20190915_133818.jpg

Remember:
    Les Paul kept all his stuff in cases......

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    DaphneBlue and String Tree like this.
  19. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

These days it's hard cases and gig bags for me. Between dust, earthquakes a couple times a year :) and dry summer months, I retired the floor multi stands after many years. Had a couple of guitars develop problems (finish cracks and bowed neck), not sure of course that a case would have helped..

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Most of mine are hung on walls in the studio. I use a stand for the one I'm playing. I put away the acoustics into cases for the driest time during winter. Even though I have one hanger in the living room, I keep one of these in the living room too for an extra guitar:
    IMG_4082.PNG

teleman1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.