Guitar stand rubber/foam

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
Hi, I was not certain where to post this, so if the wrong place I apologize in advance.
I have an older two instrument stand that the rubber has gotten really hard and dried out. I want to replace, but am not certain what with.
Half of my guitars are nitro finish, and half are not.
Does anyone here know an inexpensive solution that will work with both finish types, and that I might find in a common place, not the internet?
If the 'net is the only place, so be it, but I'd like to avoid if at all possible.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Hi, I was not certain where to post this, so if the wrong place I apologize in advance.
I have an older two instrument stand that the rubber has gotten really hard and dried out. I want to replace, but am not certain what with.
Does anyone here know an inexpensive solution that will work with both finish types, and that I might find in a common place, not the internet?
If the 'net is the only place, so be it, but I'd like to avoid if at all possible.
Thanks in advance.
Mike
maybe some soft foam with a velvet cover?..

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Thanks in advance.
Mike
A picture of your stand would help. I wanted a softer foam where my stand hits the back of my acoustic, so I epoxied a piece of split pipe insulation to my stand. <Edit> It took about 2 minutes . . . using 1-minute epoxy.

1642794723706.png

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
It's just a standard two instrument stand. The only thing special about it is that my brother, now passed, gave it to me.
IMG_4282.JPG

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I think surgical tubing would work. Usually found in amber and black. Can be bought by the foot.

Clear flexible tubing is not as soft as latex rubber, but it would not mar guitar finish. Also sold by the foot. I buy it at Ace Hardware, but Lowes or Home Depot should have it. <Edit> I wouldn't bet the farm on this, but any tubing that's safe for drinking water is unlikely to contain a chemical that outgasses and could hurt guitar finish.

1642799047925.png

Last edited:

rdjones

Tele-Holic
I found some foam insulation for hot water pipes at the "big box" hardware store.
It's not pretty, but cushions well compared to the hardened rubber.
<disclaimer> I've not noticed any discolouration on nitro finish YET, but only in use for less than a year, and I swap between nitro and poly guitars. YMMV !

21217519.JPG.jpg

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I think surgical tubing would work. Usually found in amber and black. Can be bought by the foot.

Surgical rubber tubing is about the worst thing you can use. It reacts badly with nitrocellulose lacquer and is a common reason that guitars have finish damage on the back of their necks. Foam pipe insulation would be much better.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I melted the nitro on one of my Rics on a foam guitar hanger. Whatever you use, wrap it with some material. I wrapped mine with a piece of a fleece shirt.

Be careful...

CoryB

TDPRI Member
Put whatever padding you like on it and then cover it with flannel or fleece. I have one stand that I made flannel condoms for anywhere the guitar touches it. And all of my wall hangers have fleece glued to them wherever the guitar touches. They've been up for four years and I don't have any marks on any of my lacquer finish guitars.

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
Put whatever padding you like on it and then cover it with flannel or fleece. I have one stand that I made flannel condoms for anywhere the guitar touches it. And all of my wall hangers have fleece glued to them wherever the guitar touches. They've been up for four years and I don't have any marks on any of my lacquer finish guitars.
What glue did you use, if I may ask?

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
a piece of split pipe insulation to my stand

I found some foam insulation for hot water pipes at the "big box" hardware store.
<disclaimer> I've not noticed any discolouration on nitro finish YET, but only in use for less than a year, and I swap between nitro and poly guitars. YMMV !

View attachment 942691

I use this as well (and it has a ton of uses around the house and on my vehicles)...BUT, I do not have any nitro finishes on any of my guitars. Note that this foam does not get gooey or seem to off-gas, even in high heat, such as water heater pipes and under the hood of a car.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
I tried black velvet in a guitar cabinet I made.... That was a mistake, it discolored the binding on one of my Les Pauls.

White cotton is the only thing I can say 100% does not react. I know there are other things, but white 100% cotton is a guaranty.

CoryB

TDPRI Member
What glue did you use, if I may ask?
My wife has some craft glue called Tacky Glue. I just put a couple of dots of that in places that will not touch the guitar and it holds the stuff on. Oh, and a correction - it is felt, not fleece.

The first picture is the stand flannel condom - made from a worn out flannel shirt. There are sleeves for both the top and bottom parts of the stand. I sewed them as a sleeve and then worked them onto the stand.

The second pic is the felt glued to a Hercules wall hanger. The rear piece has a couple of glue dots on the top to hold it on and the side pieces wrap around and glue to themselves on the outside of the hanger. No glue that could touch the guitar.

Attachments

• IMG_3199.jpg
    IMG_3199.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3198.jpg
    IMG_3198.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 13

HaWE

Tele-Meister

View attachment 942691
I have build some diy wooden guitarstands using the same material.I also covered the foam with some cotton material - old socks will also fit nicely over the foam (don`t forget to wash before use :) )