Guitar-specific Headphone Amps - Current Options?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by 11 Gauge, Sep 28, 2019.

1. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Me too. I've had one for donkey's years.

I wish someone would do something for guitar as good as the Phil Jones Bass Buddy.

I've heard varying reports of the Orange Micro Dark, but might be worth a try.

2. denny

denny Tele-Holic

I have one of the earlier incarnations of the pedal version. Runs on batteries.

It takes a bit of work, but these low-end ZOOM multi-fx are capable of some surprisingly good and useful tones. People knock them, i think, because they try the factory presets, and think the unit sucks. The truth is, and I have had a few ZOOM and DigiTech units, ALL the presets are useless*. The trick is to delete the presets and build your own patches from scratch. Trying to "fix" the preset patches is a waste of time.

If you are using headphones or line out, there is usually a setting for this as opposed to going through a real amp. This will get the amp/cab sims to work correctly. Start with a completely blank patch. Add one amp and one cab sim, and tweak each setting till you get a good sound. Then you can copy this patch into several slots and add effects one at a time to see if any suit your taste.

* The exceptions to this are any factory patches you find that are so over-the top weird and goofy they are worth keeping around for laughs.

Hope the helps,
    denny

TequilaCaster and radiocaster like this.
  3. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

I snared my used Mustang III V2 for $150 off of Craigslist. Can't believe new is only 250 now...wow!

Bill likes this.
  4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I thought that they no longer were being made..phased out in favor of the GT. I bought mine in Jan 2017

GuitLoop likes this.
  5. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 TDPRI Member

Blackstar FLY 3. Cheap. Master volume and gain; nice sounding delay and sounds great with headphones. Long battery life too.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

You could always go for the original, the Rockman. It's still available new for about $70 and used ones are available as well. The biggest drawback is the stock headphones they sell with it aren't very good. Upgrading them is essential.

The Line 6 Pocket POD is a decent option. You can find a sort of clone of it in the Ammoon PockRock for about $35.

If you can find one on the used market, the Korg Pandora or Pandora Mini are excellent. Too bad they discontinued these.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've admittedly become a Carl Martin fanboy. @11 Gauge - they've even supplanted Boss for me!

But I think that the Rock Bug is simply great. https://carlmartin.com/rock-bug/

Bonus points: you can use it to got the board if your amp goes down.

8. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

That's correct...replaced by GT series. Some new Mustang series amps could still remain in inventory at some (slower moving or overstock type) stores.

9. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger TDPRI Member

Hope folks don't think I'm hawking for DigiTech since I just mentioned this in another thread but the RP360 is still avail new and lots of used units out there around $99. I've used this as a travel rig with a budget guitar I didn't mind leaving in the trunk on business trips. Fits in the outer pocket of a gig bag. I used to put it in laptop case with my laptop. Has amp/cab modeling, DI/USB interface, extension pedal or wah input, all the effects you could want. As said in the other thread, the first 100 reviews on YouTube use the horrible factory patches which don't do the unit justice, you have to look for "recorded with RP360" to find what one can really do with it. Very small footprint.

[​IMG][​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.