Guitar sounds good with one amp but not another

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
I'm sure my experience will differ from others, but amps I had either sounded GREAT with strats/teles, and just ok with humbuckers and P90s, or vice versa. In other words, I think it's pickup type moreso than actual guitar that makes the difference. I know how to tweak an amp, but some combinations are just this way.

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
My Les Paul sounds good but not great through my tweed Deluxe clone, where my Telecasters and Strat's sound incredible through it. Makes perfect sense though. The tweed amps were created to compliment Leo's guitars - like ham and eggs.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I play a variety of guitar/amp combinations at home or jamming with friends. My stage rig was always a Les Paul Custom, my Stratocaster and my Mesa Boogie Mk IIB. Most of my other amps are Fenders, vintage and modern, and a bunch of tiny amps such as
Vox, Roland, Epiphone and Pignose. Whatever came out is what I had to work with, and I worked with it.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Definitely. Certain guitars sound better with certain amps. None of my guitars sound BAD through any of my amps, but they do have preferences. It's a little maddening because one of my amps (Supro Tremo-Verb) sounds GREAT with my Gretsch, but I'm not sure I want to keep an amp that only sounds really good with ONE guitar...
get another guitar that works with it..keep the 1st guitar company

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
My profile Tele sounds pretty great with most everything I’ve tried it through.

My most recent previous amp, a Mesa TA-15, it sounded “sparkly.” Now the Marshall JCM 800 I just acquired, it sounds shrill. Whereas the amp sounds “right” with humbuckers.

You ever have a guitar you love that just didn’t get along with certain amps of yours?
i have an older silverface super reverb about 1970 or so..i have several guitars with singles and humbukers both fender and gibson..they all sound very good thru that amp..if i need some overdrive i use a couple of rack mount preamps ( all tube) that give me what i want..having said that..i see it as the amp and guitar are 2 half's of a whole..some guitars will not sound good with some amps..it is a trial relationship until you find the combos that work for you. not even 2 of the same amp model usually sound the same..at least with many of the older ones

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic

My most recent previous amp, a Mesa TA-15, it sounded “sparkly.” Now the Marshall JCM 800 I just acquired, it sounds shrill. Whereas the amp sounds “right” with humbuckers.

You ever have a guitar you love that just didn’t get along with certain amps of yours?
I wouldn't say I've ever had a guitar that sounded good on some amps and "bad" on others. But I've got lots of gear combos that naturally get along with each other more than others. Sometimes it's a guitar and an amp, sometimes it's an amp and a pedal, sometimes it's a guitar and a specific speaker or cab.

What I'd recommend trying is a good preamp with some powerful tone sculpting capabilities. The one pedal that's always on my board, and always turned on is my JHS Clover. (Boss FA-1 clone) It's got some nice parametric EQ power, and I've got different settings I put it at for different guitars with different amps. I have found it's a good tool for putting that magic back in a signal chain that seems to have lost it.

Eugene Wallace

TDPRI Member

Jcm800's can be quite shrill sounding things.