Guitar sounds good with one amp but not another

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
My profile Tele sounds pretty great with most everything I’ve tried it through.

My most recent previous amp, a Mesa TA-15, it sounded “sparkly.” Now the Marshall JCM 800 I just acquired, it sounds shrill. Whereas the amp sounds “right” with humbuckers.

You ever have a guitar you love that just didn’t get along with certain amps of yours?

bluescaster72

Tele-Holic
Yes had a Carvin X 60 tube amp that didn't like my stratocaster , but loved my tele and Les Paul. Something about the pickups sounded harsh on the clean channel and it was in my opinion a very good amp. It's a Frequency thing . I wouldn't go changing pickups though. One reason I use a Roland Cube 30 now as the different amp models make all my guitar shine no matter what they are.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Definitely. Certain guitars sound better with certain amps. None of my guitars sound BAD through any of my amps, but they do have preferences. It's a little maddening because one of my amps (Supro Tremo-Verb) sounds GREAT with my Gretsch, but I'm not sure I want to keep an amp that only sounds really good with ONE guitar...

roeg

Tele-Meister

My most recent previous amp, a Mesa TA-15, it sounded “sparkly.” Now the Marshall JCM 800 I just acquired, it sounds shrill. Whereas the amp sounds “right” with humbuckers.

You ever have a guitar you love that just didn’t get along with certain amps of yours?
ime, with a JCM800, that would be about right. Horizontal input JCM800?(my guess).

The 800 series was voiced for metal, and got even more *toppy* as the 80's wore on. That crunch. Crunch + top end.

A TS10, for example,used as a boost pedal filters that top end,before it hits the amp.
(and typically with many other tubescreamer type variants...but not all, depending on the pedals tone architecture.)

With a Gibson Les Paul, or any other decent humbucker as you have noted, all is well. Humbuckers, by their nature, cancel out the high end frequencies that a single coil does not. The signal the amp see's has less top end as a result of the humbucking frequency cancellation by the 2 coils.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
I have one guitar that makes EVERY am sound good... It is one of my cheapest guitars, my Gretsch Electromatic 5127. No matter what amp I plug that guitar into, it just shines!

My Tele is probably my most troublesome of all my guitars. But, honestly, since I started using flat wounds on it? Haven't found anything it doesn't work with, either.

I do struggle with more scooped amps... These days, I have three tweed amps, a brownface, and a Marshall (JTM45 inspired). They're probably all on the darker side and definitely more mid-heavy than any Blackface amps I used to own.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Absolutely. I've got three guitars that only sound good through particular amps in the studio. I think it mostly has to do with amp X guitar pickup combinations.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 that works with everything on one or the other of its clean channels. I use a BOSS EQ-200 for tone shaping on the front end. We were doing a major home renovation last year. The living room and my music room which adjoins it were unusable for two months. I brought a SuperChamp XD up out of retirement from the basement to play outside. My Fender guitars sounded good. My Gretsch was ok. There was no setting where the humbuckers in my Gibson SG didn’t sound totally devoid of character. There’s no point complaining about a retired amp, but the thread raised the question.

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
Yep, that’s been my experience as well. Townsend said that he picked his guitars to suit his amps. Throw OD pedals into the mix and it gets even more complex. And let’s not forget that what works in your music room doesn’t necessarily work in a band situation. Being a bit OC, I’ve reached the point of keeping a spreadsheet to track what combinations work.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
Sure sounds familiar. I have two amps side by side in the music room: A magnatone varsity non reverb, next to a modded vintage 1968 SF deluxe reverb (now in a 1x15 cab). Two of my teles sound equally good through both amps. The '96 ASAT Special sounds significantly better through the magnatone. Same goes for an Eastman T146smd thin hollowbody. Which another hollowbody, an Epiphone Sorrento '62 RI, much prefers the deluxe reverb.

That's one of the great joys of owning multiple amps/guitars. The surprise factor.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's

JCM 800 is a woolly mammoth. Turn down the presence and the treble. Push up the mids. Jumper the inputs (if it’s a 4 input amp). Just my opinion, but no Mesa beats an 800 for character (unless you like the triple rect sound- I can’t use ‘em…)

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
JCM 800 is a woolly mammoth. Turn down the presence and the treble. Push up the mids. Jumper the inputs (if it’s a 4 input amp). Just my opinion, but no Mesa beats an 800 for character (unless you like the triple rect sound- I can’t use ‘em…)
I seem to always love Teles with chimey EL84 sounds (which is why I got the TA), and I’ve liked some Teles in the past with Marshalls, but for whatever reasons this combination ain’t cutting it.

Guess I need more amps.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I seem to always love Teles with chimey EL84 sounds (which is why I got the TA), and I’ve liked some Teles in the past with Marshalls, but for whatever reasons this combination ain’t cutting it.

Guess I need more amps.
The 800 will chime. Maybe turn down the gain? They will respond better and warm up a bit at higher volume, so maybe the sweet spot is louder than you can use atm.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Your telling us a Marshall Amplifier sounds good when played through a guitar with Humbucker Pickups? Who would have thought.
Crazy right? Can’t believe no one in the history of guitar discovered that before me.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
The 800 will chime. Maybe turn down the gain? They will respond better and warm up a bit at higher volume, so maybe the sweet spot is louder than you can use atm.
I may bring both guitars to practice and see how it goes. The Tele has been my main guitar for that band, but I’ll let the sound decide.

Honestly, the Marshall sound is what I want for how this band’s style is changing, so the amp will likely drive the decision.

In reality, my band mates probably just want me to pick something and stick with it because who cares?

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I play in a 60s-80s cover band, so we’re all over the place song wise and tone wise. I use pedals for distortion when needed, but usually it’s just light overdrive, reverb, delay, chorus, etc. Of all things, my vintage DR couldn’t cut it - I couldn’t seem to stay in the mix at moderate volumes at live venues regardless of which guitar I played and it’s a great sounding amp. Actually, I love the DR for single coils and humbuckers, but I just started using my Quilter tone block with a 12” cab for a little stage presence and going directly into the FOH. I’ve been doing that for nearly 5 years and it seems to work fine, but at home I’m sticking with my tube amps; stubborn and old I guess. I think a big part of not staying in the mix is the pa, not my guitars.