1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar shops in Denver

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stankepanck, Mar 13, 2015.

1. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

Are there any really nice shops in Denver? Out here for work and wanna check out a shop with some nice vintage gear maybe. Thanks!!

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You can shop guitars anywhere brother--get out on the trails, in the mountains, on a bicycle... gonna be a nice weekend here!

(and sorry, can't help you... I'm sure there are a few shops but they're probably no different than anything else you've ever seen)

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The top places around here for vintage or top end stuff are;

The Olde Town Pickin' Parlor
    7515 Grandview Ave.
    Arvada, CO. 80002
    http://www.picknparlor.com/

Mostly acoustic instruments but they'll also have a few choice electrics, basses, and amps around as well. Check out their website and you'll see why this place is a must stop place for a picker. Say hello to my friend Uncle Kit Simon (the owner) and Senor Tobe (his Yellow Lab) who actually runs the place. ;)

[​IMG]

For CS type and vintage Fender, Gretsch and Gibson electrics ya' gotta visit Wildwood. They're mentioned around here often as one to the top high end dealers in the world. If it's amplified you'll find even more of that kind of stuff you want to see here than any other place I can suggest.

Wildwood Guitars
    804 Main Street
    Louisville, CO. 80027
    http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/

For a kick Wedgle's is a music/pawn shop that probably has some top end gear in their inventory as well. This place has been around since Moses parted the Red Sea and it's pretty well known as a place to stop for look at what might be hanging on the walls. It's close to downtown while the others are out in the "burbs".

Wedgle's Music and Loan
    1122 Broadway
    Denver, CO. 80203

[​IMG]

http://1122broadway.com/1122broadway.com/Home.html

Enjoy your trip!

4. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

If you're into the acoustics (and mandos, banjos, etc.) also check out The Denver Folklore Center on Pearl. And if you like sushi, the best sushi in the entire country is 3 blocks north.

And you cannot miss Wildwood. Message me if you need a ride.

And what Colo Springs E said. It's supposed to be 75 this weekend.

5. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

To add to the previously-mentioned, there's one of my favorites, Drum City-Guitarland. They've been around since the mid-60's and are pretty well known. They do tend to cater towards the metal side of things, but don't let that stop you: they've got a ton of great stuff in stock, and they always have some really cool custom one-offs to look at even if they're not necessarily your thing. It's a small shop, but they've got a lot they can't keep on the floor due to space. FWIW, not everything falls into the "pointy shredder" category, the carry GJ2 (Grover Jackson) and Knaggs guitars, Lakland basses and plenty of other stuff for players of all genres.

DCGL is in Wheat Ridge, a suburb just west of Denver and not too far out of the way. Jason (the owner) is a really nice guy and is happy to work with you on price if you're interested in something.

Drum City-Guitarland
    9225 W. 44th. Ave.
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado USA 80033
    Phone: 303-421-4515

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Two more great suggestions I overlooked. The Denver Folklore Center is another great acoustic shop. The owner, Harry Tufts, is a huge supporter of the folk and bluegrass elements here in Denver. Well worth a visit as well.

Drum City-Guitarland is another family owned, treat you right, place that's been around forever too. I shouldn't have left them off the list. When people post about their local shops this is the kind of place I think of.

7. garage_band

garage_band TDPRI Member

Not specifically a "nice" shop, but we have a Music Go Round that has some great instruments now and again:

image-3719113933.jpg

Like a lot of the other shops, it's in the 'burbs.

8. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I've been to Old Town Pickin' Parlor and Wildwood. Just bought a J-45 from Wildwood the other day actually.

Old Town Pickin' Parlor can be hit or miss. I've been in there and been completely ignored when I was the only one in there, with the owner giving off the impression that he could care less and had better things to do. Other times he's been awesome. Either way his dog is really sweet! Not many electrics here, mostly acoustics, banjos, etc.

Wildwood is a great shop with an awesome and accommodating staff, awesome owner and it was the best experience I've had in a shop to date. They have a pretty extensive selection.

9. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

Awesome!! Heading down into town today. The place I am staying is up in the mountains (Bailey) so dont worry I will be enjoying the outdoors also! We need some stings and whatnot so we might as well check out some nice gear. And if I find somethin I like??!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.