Guitar Setup And Changing Weather

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A bit ago, I posted this: Guitar Setup Fears

I got over it, and banged in a setup that was a lot better. Since then, I have been slowly adjusting. I was noticing 3 half-tone bends were choking out (on a 9.5" radius!), so strings were a bit too low and the relief a bit too flat. The other day, I backed the truss off another 1/8 turn, and things seem really good. I may have to raise my 3rd and 4th strings an eighth of a turn - maybe. Bends are no longer choking. I do notice the relief is just just a hair higher than spec - maybe .011 rather than .010. I am starting to find that I would rather have my strings down a bit and just a tad more relief for my ideal feel.

I am also noticing that since it is getting warmer and cooler here in Northeast Ohio, the setup varies a bit depending on the weather. Since I have everything close, I think I am down to small truss adjustments for spring and fall. I've never had a guitar that was this sensitive - or maybe I never had a setup close enough to notice?

At least I am not having to do this on my Strat, since it has the heel adjuster and I have to remove (or at least loosen) the neck to make adjustments. I may have to do that one soon, but I am going to wait for the weather to settle first.

No, I don't have a point here. Thanks for reading.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
A bit ago, I posted this: Guitar Setup Fears

I got over it, and banged in a setup that was a lot better. Since then, I have been slowly adjusting. I was noticing 3 half-tone bends were choking out (on a 9.5" radius!), so strings were a bit too low and the relief a bit too flat. The other day, I backed the truss off another 1/8 turn, and things seem really good. I may have to raise my 3rd and 4th strings an eighth of a turn - maybe. Bends are no longer choking. I do notice the relief is just just a hair higher than spec - maybe .011 rather than .010. I am starting to find that I would rather have my strings down a bit and just a tad more relief for my ideal feel.

I am also noticing that since it is getting warmer and cooler here in Northeast Ohio, the setup varies a bit depending on the weather. Since I have everything close, I think I am down to small truss adjustments for spring and fall. I've never had a guitar that was this sensitive - or maybe I never had a setup close enough to notice?

At least I am not having to do this on my Strat, since it has the heel adjuster and I have to remove (or at least loosen) the neck to make adjustments. I may have to do that one soon, but I am going to wait for the weather to settle first.

No, I don't have a point here. Thanks for reading.
Its a lot easier to change Strings than it is to change the Weather.
YEP!!!