1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar selling/GAS dilemma ... need help

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Obsessed, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Sidelined with a rare cold while trying to nurse separated ribs, I've been pondering selling a guitar to buy one that I have been GASsing about for about 2 years now. I need serious advice from my TDPRI cohorts.

Here is the dilemma: I have an exceptional '81 Yamaha SG that took a long time to find in order to seek out that LP sound that I had been searching for, but could never bond with an LP. It is by far the best built electric that I've ever owned, but ... I have evolved into blues so much that my tele/strat/Sheraton takes care of everything I'm into electrically right now. I have two parlors for acoustic, but I'm GASsing for a resonator.

Do I sell or try to justify adding another guitar to the family later on? I have been reading the recent "regrets selling" threads lately and they scare me.:eek:

Additional considerations:
    I was deeply into Santana for covers and style, but now that I'm into my own sounds, the Sherry "pretty well" takes care of that duel bucker stuff. "Pretty well" is the catch phrase.

I'm entering a phase of Warren Haynes. :lol:

Anything I play on a reso, I can play on my parlors and I'm not very good at that thumb bass line thumping, finger picking/slide old blues styles ... yet, but that is my current passion.

Oh, and I'm starting to seriously record my originals (no gigging right now either). And no, the SG is not in the mix as of now.:oops:

Any words of wisdom out there will be much appreciative.:)

2. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Those old Yamaha SG clones were pretty nice. I think you should keep it. Start subtly campaigning for the resonator now. Be extra nice. Do thoughtful things. Be patient and give it some time. If they don't get suspicious right away, which is what usually happens, you might be able to work your way to your goal. You're probably thinking National, but you might want to look at Republic. Not quite as much sticker shock if you have to sell this acquisition to get it approved. Hot Rod used to be pretty good, but I've heard some rather unsettling stories of late. Make sure you do your homework. Everybody wants a tricone because they look cool, but they're not necessarily the best choice for your style. Good luck.

Darkness, awasson and Obsessed like this.
  3. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Well I recently sold my strat and didn't want to but had to (needed money... all good now... I have a job... a crap job... but that's besides the point). I'm not really regretting the sale of my strat and my partscaster is currently in pieces need to get around to finish rewiring it so all I'm using at the moment is my esquire and I'm doing fine.

With that in mind I have had "selling regret" in the past, my first decent guitar was the top of the line Epiphone SG (G400 Pro '66 reissue). I saved for a long time when I was 16 to get that guitar and had it for 2 years (I've been playing for ~5 years), anyway I sold that guitar to fund a GAS purchase (the recently sold strat). After selling that I decided I would never sell a guitar again unless I really had to, stick with what I have and if I want something new earn it.

It can be difficult to predict what you'll regret selling but sometimes you know you'll never sell something.

I regret selling the SG because of a number of reasons,

it was very different from all my other guitars (different fretboard radius, scale length, pickup configuration, construction type, everything was different),
    that exact model is now discontinued and is very difficult to find for sale,
    the quality of the instrument was perfect,
    it was worth a lot more to me than what it's market value

The strat was very much the opposite,

I have other fender style guitars with similar pickups, electronics and other specs,
    they're as common as muck,
    good quality instrument but as I said they're as common as muck so finding a good one again won't be too difficult
    I sold it for what I thought it was worth

I would never sell my custom guitar because it's made of parts and I'll never get back even half of what I've put into it.

Just as a final point my esquire is a guitar I'm never selling, the thing is perfect. I haven't done anything to the guitar other than change the electronics, the fretwork was perfect and the hardware is exactly what I wanted. If you really want to get an idea how good this thing is over on Musicians Friend it has 4.9 out of 5 stars based on 19 reviews (17-5 star, 2-4 star) and one of the 4 star reviews was given because it came with 9 gauge strings instead of 10. It's now discontinued and I've never seen one for sale used and it was really good value and would never go for the price I value it at.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Thanks. Yeah, I'm looking at the Republic Hwy 61 steel model biscuit cone. I got to play a used and too abused one, but it is the model for me after trying 15 different makes and models. My wife, the bass player totally understands GAS, but between the two of us, the "family" of about 12 to 14 is really too much to handle in our modest home. Plus, as a glorified hack, it seems hard to justify "an additional" guitar to myself. But, yeah, keeping the SG just seems smart.

5. Obsessed

Thanks Asmith. I actually went through a phase of considering selling my MIM strat that has my all time favorite neck. I hung up my surf guitar days, decked it and have found a new love for it in the blues genre, so now it is my Yammy that is the closet queen. I have always felt about never selling any of my electrics, but time has come to think about cutting one out of the herd to add a different breed. Your point is well taken and I appreciate it.

6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I guess the difference between me and most players is that I don't get a lot of guitar GAS. Over the limited years I've played guitars I've seriously wanted 7 guitars, I've owned 4.

I wanted all the guitars I've owned other than the first which was a gift but that is now technically my custom guitar since I hacked up the body to get that shape.

Other guitars I've wanted were,
    an Epiphone dot (but it was very uncomfortable to play),
    a Fender Elite Thinline (but I can't afford it and still want it ;))
    and my next plan is to build a guitar which is a telecaster mustang mash up (but I haven't done it yet).

I still have space in my stable for 2 more guitars but there is no way I could fit 14 guitars around the my house and that's with a spare bedroom that being said you must have some other guitars that never get into your playing rotation that you could also consider selling?

7. Obsessed

Half of them are my wife's and everyone knows basses take more space ... don't they.:rolleyes::D The amps are bigger too.

I'm like you, I have only seriously wanted about 7 guitars and own 5 of them.

Asmith likes this.
  8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

DO NOT sell the Yamaha. You'll never find another one and, even if you did, it would cost as much as a new LP now.

Which one is it? 1000? 2000? 3000?

Those Yami's are gold. You'll regret selling it, I guarantee.

Can you tell I speak from experience?

Obsessed likes this.
  9. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I'm with the geezer on this one. I think the only reason I don't sell guitars is because of the ones I let go as a younger man. I can't regret selling if I don't sell.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. JReazor

JReazor Tele-Holic

If it were a guitar that could be easily replaced in the future, I'd say sell it and move on but it sounds like this one is pretty special. If you worked that hard to get the right one, I'd hold on to it.

Obsessed likes this.
  11. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"...exceptional...long time to find...by far the best built..."

Don't sell. :)

It's tough but I'd try to come up with another way to get the money. Give up alcohol/coffee/cigarettes? Extra shifts at work? Selling sounds like a recipe for regret.

Obsessed likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Well, it is actually the next model down from the 1000. SG800S. Never exported to the states and over time I have ascertained that it was built in the old factory while the "new" factory was ramping up higher quantities for exporting. It has doubled in value since I imported it directly from Japan. It only has the clay inlays and no sustain plate, but the push/push coil taps are to die for, pre bolt on neck, plays like silk, sustains forever and stunning build.

Seems that you have started an avalanche of like minded people telling me to hang on to it.

Thanks for shaking me up, I needed it.

13. Obsessed

Yeah, your comment reminds me of the year of going through every LP including ones way over my budget at the time, just didn't cut it for me. I drove two states and one time zone just to try a new Gibby LP that I thought might do it and actually was great sounding, but the fret work was SO bad, I had to pass. I have never picked up an LP since getting the Yammy and that is a lot of years of guitar store slumming.

Thanks JReazor for reminding me of my search.

14. Obsessed

Ahh, very philosophical. And a good point. No sell, no regret.

Thanks FenderLover.

15. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

There are two types of guitars. Those that inspire and those that don't.

Obsessed and Racer5 like this.
  16. Obsessed

Yeah, with all of you mentioning how difficult it is to find a great guitar, it seems that since I have pretty well decided on buying a new reso, I can wait and pool the money instead of selling. I have already lived with the GAS for two years.

Thanks for throwing in your vote. I appreciate it Steve 78.

Steve 78 likes this.
  17. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

This. If it doesn't move you, it needs to move on out!

Obsessed likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Ahh, how true. One of the things that the Yammy can do so well is double string bends and double stops while bending only one string (my only guitar with 9s). It is kind of a Santana signature move that has inspired me over the years. Probably pretty stupid to give that up, especially as I get more into recording. Something I should ponder more deeply.

Thanks much Middleman.

19. Obsessed

Ha, I was responding to Middleman's response at the same time you responded. Yep, it is inspiring and now that I give it more thought, I do my best multiple hammer downs/pull offs with the Yammy.

Wow. I must admit I was hoping for the opposite response, but all of you have brought up very valuable considerations. I guess since it has been closet queen, for awhile, I had forgotten about these important aspects.

Okay, I'm for sure not going to do anything rash. I'm going to spend more time playing the Yammy this winter. I can always buy another guitar which was well pointed out. Who knows, maybe Mrs. Obsessed will sell some of her basses to make more room.:rolleyes::lol:

Thanks everyone for your sage wisdom. I think you have saved part of my soul.:)

20. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    My 2 cents on this one is just plain and simple.

The resonator is a nice thing to have, and in fact sooner or later .. yeah ok later .. I'm gonna grab a "cheap" one, personally I wouldn't give away one of my axes that work for a resonator, I would wait unti an affordable one arises or until I've put aside the money I'll need for for getting it.

That's me, we're all different, probably I'll end up playing the resonator quite a lot in the first period, but as it is a real particular guitar i don't know if i would stick to that asi stick to my tele per say, I would "cry me a river " later down the line, there are a lot of stories in the :

the one that got away thread :)

Good look in making your choiche ;)

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.