Guitar sales that you’ve done that made you feel warm & happy.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by studio1087, Oct 13, 2021.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I was looking through some old photos and I found this old Stratocaster picture. I sold it when I was selling a couple guitars to buy a very nice guitar. A gentleman called on the craigslist ad and he said that he wanted to come and meet me and and feel the guitar. I didn’t think anything of when he said he wanted to feel the guitar. He showed up in an SUV and his girlfriend was driving. He stumbled when he got out of the SUV. He heard my voice and he stuck his hand out to shake my hand but he didn’t really know where I was. I realized the guy was blind. He explained to me that he was mostly blind but he could see things up close, he was legally blind. I put the case on the open tail end of my SUV. I took the guitar out of hard case, He ran his hands all over the guitar. He stuck his face right down by the guitar, his nose was like 5 inches from the guitar. He smiled warmly and he said “I can see the colors”. I had to control myself because I nearly started to cry. I’m knocked 100 bucks off the price and lied and said that I had lowered the price on Reverb. I didn’t want to come across like it was charity or anything weird…..I just wanted him to have it. It was just a crazy emotional experience. “I can see the colors”. His girlfriend was smiling ear to ear I drove home from selling that damn guitar and the feeling was just remarkable. I was so happy that it went to that guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    scook, sk25, Creaulx and 21 others like this.
  2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wish there was a "love" button. This story made my day!

studio1087 likes this.
  3. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

Cool story!

I've never sold a guitar with anything other than a bad feeling, because whenever I have sold one it was purely because I needed the money. I regret every sale.

4. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Great story.
    my two best friends growing up were twins named Darek and Eric.
    We were inseparable from 2nd grade through college.
    We were all wild and barely house broken.
    Eric and I moved to Colorado the summer we turned 21, Darek stayed home for summer school and ended up taking a psychology class concentrating on the sight impaired because there is a tremendous school for the blind in my hometown.

Darek ended up loving the class, the school for the blind offered to pay for his grad school if he would work/teach at the center for the blind. He jumped in with both feet.
    For the next 15 years you would see Darek walking around with the blind students, sometimes Darek would have on sleeper shades( he learned how to navigate with them on even though his site was fine) making his way around town, teaching new students how to travel with their cane.
    He would take trips with the students to go white water rafting, use dogs to travel in Mew York City, there was an annual trip to Mardi Gras.
    My buddy ended up becoming a well known, respected, and much Sought after speaker and teacher. He and his brother were both fantastic guitar players to boot.
    Unfortunately, my buddy Darek passed away of a heart attack 3 years ago. I think about him most every day at some point or another. So this story makes me very happy.
    Thanks for sharing and letting me share about my buddy.

lil scotty, philpm and studio1087 like this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Similar experiences for me,

Except maybe one modification -

There were a few guitars ( and amps), I was indeed glad to sell (and maybe took a bit of a hit) as they were either nice looking 'eye candy' or had all the right features, but actually 'toneless' ( by this I mean 'blah,' nothing that got me excited to play- dumb impulse buys...

But no warm and fuzzy feeling, selling for me, just regret.

But all good now

6. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I sold a Peavey Predator on Craigslist to a dad who was giving it to his son for his first guitar. Really nice guy. I gave him a good deal on it.

Telekarster and studio1087 like this.
  7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

you just made my day. Thank you.

8. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's a cool story man, and kudos to you for doing this. Nice guitar too! I love the sunbeam/burst lookin' graphic! Sadly, I have no such guitar stories other than I fixed up a beat up old Ovation for a buddy of mine, who was giving it to his nephew to take to war, so I helped him achieve that mission.

studio1087 likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Happy selling a guitar?
    I can't recall.

Once though I bought a vintage EXH muff fuzz wah from a shop I was friends with the owners of, and later found out one sold it to me at the price the other paid for it.
    At the time I couldn't really afford the extra hundred $$, so I went in a few days later and handed them my Epi LP Jr to cover their loss.

Not only were they happy and I was happy to cover it, but their employee lit up and bought it from them, so it was way above it's own pay grade, happiness wise!

Still can't recall being happy selling a guitar though...

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Often enough it was that sort of regrettable.
    On a few occasions I've sold because I tried and failed to bond with a guitar, not because I needed the money.
    Still felt lousy.

Telekarster likes this.
  11. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Holic

OP, great story. I have a handful of good memories form CL dealings, none as affirming as yours. Good on you.

studio1087 likes this.
  12. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Holic

Your story reminds me on the movie, The Sound of Metal, which I recommend.

studio1087 likes this.
  13. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Splattercaster?

studio1087 likes this.
  14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I've done it twice.

ETA: and twice I was bummed, so I'm 50-50 to date

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  15. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I was pretty stoked to sell off my old Ibanez S series... Not for any heartwarming reason. I hated it and it had to go. The money I got from it went into my seven string that I love to its worked out well for all parties (unless he hates the Ibanez too?).

studio1087 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.