1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar Sales Rise in the UK!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by esseff, Jul 23, 2020.

1. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Great to see people keeping themselves musically occupied during the lockdown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53512058

An 80% rise in instruments is astounding. We'll either see a big increase in guitarists or a big increase in 'hardly-used guitar' eBay sales.

Jakedog, Speedfish, koopus and 4 others like this.
  2. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

That’s good news. What I have noticed though is the eBay prices of used gigging amps have dropped noticeably. Haven’t looked at PA’s but I imagine few people are in a hurry to buy them at the moment.

stormsedge likes this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I'm hoping to see a big increase in used gear in a year or two. Most of it will be low end but that's OK with me since I like to mod stuff.

4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've noticed a roaring trade on eBay. Used American Standards from this century are drifting up over £800, which is nuts.

5. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm, probably explains why so much gear online is shown out of stock. I'd just assumed that the current world situation was reducing production or shipment over here.

6. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

Interestingly, there seems to be a growing shortage of parts over here in the UK as well - you cant seem to get Klusons or even Kluson knock offs anywhere in country- looks like the same stock shortage/supply chain issues as we had with Decking paint when the weather got nice two weeks into lockdown!

rze99 likes this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Rings true.

My sprayer Rexter Guitars said he’s been overwhelmed with business.

I just sold about a grands worth of parts and they all went quickly at decent prices.

I was looking for Thornbuckers and took a while to track a neck in nickel and the shops said they didn’t expect stock for many weeks.

Matthias likes this.
  8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gigbag backordered two months and counting!

9. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

My spending has been high during lockdown. Necks, amps, pickups...you name it.

But in a year where everything turned cruddy - including Liverpool winning the league and Leeds winning promotion - I feel entitled to a bit of indulgence.

knockeduptele likes this.
  10. rze99

Liverpool winning the league is one of he highlights of my lockdown! I’m not a scouser just tired of the Mancs winning.

koopus likes this.
  11. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Afflicted

We use to have a fair few shops in Luton here, now their are none, was good when you could try stuff out and it was was local, i was never keen much on travel i use to go to London sometimes but was always glad to get home.

I wonder how many will keep it up though, is good that some are trying here in the uk whatever the outcome on my walks i here a few playing is always good to hear them.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  12. rze99

When I chatted with A guy at Peach they were just reopening and they said they’d had a busy online sales period in lockdown confirming a few people getting back into playing in lockdown.

Sounds Good likes this.
  13. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Afflicted

I listened to the Luton match last night the stayed up with two own goals and a penalty goal, was very nerve racking towards the end but they hung on to win 3-2 just, Good! for Luton Town.

rze99 likes this.
  14. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Great to see Leeds going up, and if anyone else is going to win the first division happy for it to be Liverpool. In fact anyone other than Man U or Chelsea.

Given the amunt of sales at Gear4music, maybe it is a good time to thin the herd, just don't fancy anyone coming to the house to try stuff out.

15. rze99

people are happy to buy on line at the moment ad if you offer no quibble return but at the buyer's postage expense the buyer has comfort.

www.thefretboard.co.uk is a good (and free) place to trade I've found once you have built up a little bit of a profile there.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Early this morning, when the dew was on, and sound carries very well here in lovely B-Town, I could hear faintly, but clearly: "Yeah, yeah, yeah" over, and over, and over, and over again.

17. rze99

there's a Liverpool fan in every street

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

So you have all the Klusons

19. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

Not enough love here for the MIGHTY MANCHESTER UNITED.

I think my spending is done now, for a good while. I think... possibly. The last of my purchases arrived yesterday, a vaguely-colour-matching Strat switch tip for my Esquire. Arrived very quickly from California, seems like the postal system may be returning to some kind of normal service.

Attached Files:

rze99 likes this.
  20. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

Great news!

:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.